Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Air brush 6 years 2 months ago #47963

Can anyone recommend a good air bush package to buy, i already have a standard compressor with adjustable pressure regulator and 1/4 inch PCL Male Quick Release 'Snap' Coupling
TIA Alan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Air brush 6 years 2 months ago #47964

Mine is a competition with 0,2 0,4 and0,6 mm holes. And the tamiya spray work

Air brush 6 years 2 months ago #47968

Can anyone recommend a good air bush package to buy, i already have a standard compressor with adjustable pressure regulator and 1/4 inch PCL Male Quick Release 'Snap' Coupling
TIA Alan

1/4" BSP is still too big for airbrushes, you will need some sort of adaptor... 1/8" BSP (very much (exactly?) like the Schrader valves you find on most cars/motorbikes/normal bicycles) is more typical, so you'd need a 1/4" BSP to 1/8" BSP adaptor, like this one:

The "5mm" thread standard is also used on some airbrushes, mating that size up usually need a couple of different adaptors (I think I went 5mm->1/4" then 1/4" BSP -> 1/8" BSP).

I've got on quite well with cheap Chinese double action airbrushes, I don't see the point of side feed airbrushes, and although I have a top fed one, it only comes out for very small/delicate jobs where I only have a few dregs of paint left. Unfortunately, bottom fed brushes seem to be out of fachion with the Chinese and are rarer/more expensive.

I have one like this & get on ok with it, though it is a bit tedious doing large areas. Despite

appearances this has a 1/8" BSP fitting (under the very dodgy push fit tube type fitting):

I have some like this too (hopefully you can find it cheaper) might be a better buy - note the different nozzle/needles & hose you get with it, again it's 1/8" BSP fittings. This and a set of quick release fittings + some glass bottles (with both plain caps & ones with suction lids) would be a good start:

I also have a couple of ones like this (single action, bottom/siphon fed, takes the same jars as above - but note the "5mm" fittings:

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut

Air brush 6 years 2 months ago #48047

Hey again,
I think Jonny has put in some good choices there. My own experience has been long and mixed. I started out many years ago ( read 80's ;) ) with one similar to the last one Jonny put up, based on a badger 350 I think? I bought it cheap at an auto jumble or country fair or something. It was OK and I used it for all my early spraying needs, thinned testors paint and pactra RC stuff too. I did get a bottom feed cup for it and powered it with cans of compressed gas ( $$ ) and then a spare tyre assembly. Later in my teens I inherited the little junn-air compressor I still use today. I moved to a badger 200 at some point, that one was also bottom feed, single action and served me well for many years, I upgraded the body to the gravity feed type when they became available for the same reasons Jonny mentions, you can put a few drops in and touch up or paint something small without wasting a bunch of paint.
I build static models too....
So when I joined a local model building club about a dozen years ago I was met with a group of airbrush enthusiasts who were all into double action ones and Passche and Iwata etc.... So I thought I might try the double action style too. I bought an inexpensive knock off of an Iwata called a Veda 130E and learned it did have some advantages over the single action types once you got use to it.
Over come by the dreaded "peer pressure" I felt the Veda was not good enough, although it worked fine :unsure: ..... I picked up a crazy deal in our LHS on a Badger 100G that someone had bought, tried, didn't clean it and just gave up....I took it home, took it apart and soaked the offending parts in a jar of lacquer thinner for a couple of days and voilà! I am still using it today :) Its a very versatile airbrush, its only failing is bigger areas that I am trying to get a gloss finish on. So I have also splurged on a Tamiya trigger type with a .05 tip. It is incredible for laying down a lot of paint ( well a lot in model terms ) but a bit on the pricey side of things.
As for your 1/4 inch coupler, just get the appropriate hose end and put on your 1/4 fitting. I have run mine that way for years.

So what am driving at here???

Well really I have found the best airbrush is the one you have....they all work fairly well, cheap or expensive, some do jobs better then others hence my large Tamiya one ( really beautiful work BTW, like all Tamiya tools) but it more comes down to properly mixing your paints and keeping them clean. Its not hard to do but it is important to do it well :y: .
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

Air brush 6 years 2 months ago #48048

TIA Alan

1/4" BSP is still too big for airbrushes, you will need some sort of adaptor... 1/8" BSP (very much (exactly?) like the Schrader valves you find on most cars/motorbikes/normal bicycles) is more typical, so you'd need a 1/4" BSP to 1/8" BSP adaptor, like this one:

The "5mm" thread standard is also used on some airbrushes, mating that size up usually need a couple of different adaptors (I think I went 5mm->1/4" then 1/4" BSP -> 1/8" BSP).

I've got on quite well with cheap Chinese double action airbrushes, I don't see the point of side feed airbrushes, and although I have a top fed one, it only comes out for very small/delicate jobs where I only have a few dregs of paint left. Unfortunately, bottom fed brushes seem to be out of fachion with the Chinese and are rarer/more expensive.

I have one like this & get on ok with it, though it is a bit tedious doing large areas. Despite

appearances this has a 1/8" BSP fitting (under the very dodgy push fit tube type fitting):

I have some like this too (hopefully you can find it cheaper) might be a better buy - note the different nozzle/needles & hose you get with it, again it's 1/8" BSP fittings. This and a set of quick release fittings + some glass bottles (with both plain caps & ones with suction lids) would be a good start:

I also have a couple of ones like this (single action, bottom/siphon fed, takes the same jars as above - but note the "5mm" fittings:

:)

Why can’t I see any of the eBay feeds?
Yet they are here on the quote while I’m writing this :S
See picture below
Attachments:

Air brush 5 years 8 months ago #51555

... 1/8" BSP (very much (exactly?) like the Schrader valves you find on most cars/motorbikes/normal bicycles) ...

Now I've had cause to directly compare the two - 1/8 BSP thread is not at all exactly like the 8V1-32 (0.305", or 0.307", or 7.7mm - and 32 TPI) of a car/large bicycle 8mm Scrader valve :blush:
The following user(s) Liked this: goldfish999

Air brush 5 years 8 months ago #51564

Ya, I wish they could standardize these things too. I bought some of those mini 8mm thread quick change fittings but in the end am not using them. Seems all the Japanese market ones use that thread, Badger has their own very small very fine thread fitting about 5mm and I think Passche (?) has some sort of NPT thread or something. I ended up going with a separate hose for each that ended in a 1/4 NPT and then a standard size shop airline fitting. When I change tools I just disconnect it, roll it up and put it in the drawer, but I am only using one at a time unlike others I know. Also the skinny hose that comes with the Badger airbrush works just fine, it very light and flexible. The braided ones I have are cheap, think the last one was about $10 on amazon or ebay my only complaint is that with my setup I wish they were shorter.
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

Last edit: by oldwilly.

Air brush 5 years 8 months ago #51641

I have that to hold my airbrush. Not yet tested but it looks to be fun
Attachments:

Air brush 5 years 8 months ago #51672

Is that magnetic for horizontal use, or weighted for vertical?

Air brush 5 years 8 months ago #51675

Magnetic

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.378 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.