Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Where do you paint during cold weather? 1 year 5 months ago #73025

• roberts
  • roberts's Avatar Topic Author
  • No Guts No Glory!
  • No Guts No Glory!
I was wondering if I'm the only one to be stuck with my RC projects because the weather is too poor/cold/humid outside to spray the car bodies....

Where do you guys paint your models during those months?

I used to paint parts on my balcony but now with the rain and humidity it's not so feasible. I also considered the house basement but it's cold and humid so not sure that the paint will flow nicely down there. Not to mention it's dusty...

Any ideas? 

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by roberts.

Where do you paint during cold weather? 1 year 5 months ago #73027

In my last home I used airbrush in the kitchen. On the cooking plates with trash bags to protect walls.

Where do you paint during cold weather? 1 year 5 months ago #73028

I have made a paint box with a mechanical exhaust which I put on the bench in the hobby room.
Made it from some packaging boards from work. I let the exhaust go out through a wall vent.
Attaches a vacuum cleaner filter to the extractor which I change when necessary.
Works pretty well I think, there is some smell with TS and PS paint but nothing when I use the airbrush.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, stingray-63

Last edit: by Scanox.

Where do you paint during cold weather? 1 year 5 months ago #73032

I was wondering if I'm the only one to be stuck with my RC projects because the weather is too poor/cold/humid outside to spray the car bodies....

Where do you guys paint your models during those months?

I used to paint parts on my balcony but now with the rain and humidity it's not so feasible. I also considered the house basement but it's cold and humid so not sure that the paint will flow nicely down there. Not to mention it's dusty...

Any ideas? 

It sounds using your basement – with a dehumidifier, some sort of tent arrangement & an infrared heater (so it doesn’t move too much dust around) – might be possible, but whether it’s worth the power consumption is another matter…  

I can't use aerosols indoors because of the stank, so I just don’t get to put a colour coat (and definitely not clear coat) on anything styrene/ABS based between the start of October and the beginning of April. 

I've done the “outdoor” bits on a few projects to keep me going over the cold & damp months, plus some bodies & drivers to finish & detail. I also have a couple of polycarbonate bodied kits I could put together, because there are often small windows, usually late morning, up to the first couple of days of January where it’s just about warm and dry enough to get a coat of polycarbonate spray down outdoors. 

Pro-Line (polycarbonate) Body Paints are also low stink enough to airbrush indoors with a small, fold up filter booth. 

Aerosol acrylic primer (for styrene things) is ok down to about 10 degrees C and 80% humidity – so I can also tackle things like smaller scale kits, scratchbuilt accessories and so on , and finish them off indoors with Tamiya X/XF paints (or Vallejo acrylics) as they are pretty much zero stink when brushed, and low stink when airbrushed.

I also have a scratchbuild to finish, and another one to start.   

Short answer: I don’t – but having a few projects on the go at any one time, and a fairly wide set of interests around RC means I never really stall out :)
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.