Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Paint Remover? 13 years 3 months ago #425

hi! i have a clodbuster body with no fewer than three layers of paint over the original "chevrolet" tailgate and a brat body with two layers of poorly laid paint. does anyone have a good tip on paint stripping without sanding. i obviously don't want to remove any details! I've heard brake fluid....? thanks in advance for any tips!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Paint Remover? 13 years 3 months ago #427

Both Brake Fluid and Caustic Soda can do the job.
What will work is depending on what paint is on the bodies, and some paints will resist both types.
In general you can soak hard-bodies in both Caustic Soda and Brake Fluid. Usually it takes sseveral hours.
Both chemicals are nasty stuff so ensure you wear hand- and eye protection.
Remember mixing Caustic Soda by adding powder to water, not the other way...

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: Paint Remover? 13 years 3 months ago #428

Thanks for the info! Is it possible to soak hardbodies too long (and risk damaging the plastic)? Thanks.

Re: Paint Remover? 13 years 3 months ago #433

calmlikeabomb26 wrote:

Thanks for the info! Is it possible to soak hardbodies too long (and risk damaging the plastic)? Thanks.

Not that I know of... I have soaked hard bodies for days without problems, but I would not recommend to leave them for too long.
Note that there are different type of plastics that can be described as hard bodies. I am talking about tba ABS plastic types from Tamiya.

Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.

Re: Paint Remover? 13 years 1 month ago #691

I have heard oven cleaner works well also.

Re: Paint Remover? 12 years 9 months ago #1742

tried ovencleaner, I like the paint removal effect of caustic soda on the ABS shells better.
And yeah gloves and glasses, very important B)

Re: Paint Remover? 12 years 9 months ago #1743

The active ingredients of most "Oven Cleaners" is actually Caustic Soda. Some have more, some have less of it.
The good thing about Caustic Soda (in powder) is that you can mix it as you like, making is at tough you like.

Please do not use Caustic Soda on Lexan bodies, and be sure to read the safety instructions on the can. Caustic Soda is a dangerous acid chemical! Like Waterbok says: Use both gloves and eye protection and make sure you have plenty of ventilation!

BTW: welcome to TamiyaBase, Waterbok! :)

-Lars

Last edit: by larbut.

Re: Paint Remover? 12 years 9 months ago #1744

Just straying off topic a bit - can lexan bodies only be sanded or are there other (chemical) approaches as well? :unsure:

Re: Paint Remover? 12 years 9 months ago #1745

There is a debate going on this.... :huh:
I have used Brake Fluid on Lexan/Polycarbonate with varying results.
I have ruined a Celica Gr.B body, and I have successfully cleaned many other "clear" bodies.

I think the general consensus now is to be very careful with lexan and Brake Fluid, but if you are ready for taking a chance, you can... :ohmy:

Tamiya recently released a new "Polycarbonate Body Cleaner" which according to Forum feedback removes more or less all types of paint.

Item number 87118:

-Lars
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou

Re: Paint Remover? 12 years 9 months ago #1746

Thanks - I'll take a look at that then. Not taking any chances with the break fluid on this one. :S

Read about some other special goodie (Easy Lift Off?) but that was old school I think and seems to be quite impossible to come by these days...

Last edit: by Edou.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.