Keyword
Please take care when trading with people you don't know personally. To safeguard yourself as much as possible do/check the following:
- check the other party's ebay feedback (check his profile on TB, or ask for ebay ID) Send them an email through ebay to make sure.
- ask for references at this forum.
- check the members status on TB. Is this his first and only post or an experienced/well known member?
- Only pay through a secure payment provider, like Paypal. Make sure you pay for an item, not for a Service, as a Gift or other types of payment.
- Exchange real names and telephone numbers up front, and check them out.
- only offer shipping with full online tracking.
TamiyaBase.com is not a party in trades made on the basis of this site. Buyer and seller are sole responsible for their trades and for working out a safe way of payment and delivery.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New Built Chrome Midnight Pumpkin on eBay - SOLD 12 years 5 months ago #4525

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: New Built Chrome Midnight Pumpkin on eBay - SOLD 12 years 5 months ago #4581

Forgive my ignorance, but are these 'chrome editions' something official that Tamiya do, or are there a 'select few' who are cashing in on the secret of home chroming? Say there was a mixture of both, is there any way to tell if it's an official one or a fake? (eg a sticker on the box?)

Re: New Built Chrome Midnight Pumpkin on eBay - SOLD 12 years 5 months ago #4593

The Chrome edition kits are made by Tamiya. They are made as limited edition models.

I know of one private guy (TC member Loaded) who got a lot of reissue SS and RR bodies professionally chrome plated and sold these on ebay, but not as kit and with clear indication that they were not Tamiya originals. He also did a lot of other chrome plating, wheels, accessories, etc, etc.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: New Built Chrome Midnight Pumpkin on eBay - SOLD 12 years 5 months ago #4595

Forgive my ignorance, but are these 'chrome editions' something official that Tamiya do, or are there a 'select few' who are cashing in on the secret of home chroming? Say there was a mixture of both, is there any way to tell if it's an official one or a fake? (eg a sticker on the box?)

Seems to be something that Tamiya do to some of theie cars near the end of their life (although the often come back again :whistle: ) - Wild Willy 2, Super Clodbuster, Subaru Brat, Midnight Pumpkin & I'm sure others have had "chrome" editions ... the Lunchbox had a "gold" metallic shell a couple of times ... Buggy Champ & Scorcher re-re's have had various colour metalised bodies ... and now the Hotshot.

To be honest, I don't t like these metallic editions - to me it seems to be a cynical ploy to charge more, and get obsessive completists to buy more :(

Re: New Built Chrome Midnight Pumpkin on eBay - SOLD 12 years 5 months ago #4596

and "limited edition" - in a pig's eye :S

Only if limited means "limited to as many as the market will bear, and then some" ... I notice my supermarket does "limited edition" sandwiches - yeah, they're limited edition all right - limited to a couple of million a day :blink:

Re: New Built Chrome Midnight Pumpkin on eBay - SOLD 12 years 5 months ago #4601

I hear some people even breathe limited edition air... :side:

Re: New Built Chrome Midnight Pumpkin on eBay - SOLD 12 years 5 months ago #4605

Well, I hate to say it, but it's really not that difficult or expensive to 'chrome plate' the bits at home, (Granted it's time consuming & a lot of care is involved). Unless there's something on the parts or box to say it's a genuine Tamiya special edition, how would the collector be able to tell? In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there was at least one person out there that has realised there's money to be made out of the less informed of us, who is set up to modify standard parts in bulk

Re: New Built Chrome Midnight Pumpkin on eBay - SOLD 12 years 5 months ago #4608

Hi Eddric
I bought my son a Chrome Edition Midnight Pumpkin some time ago because I could not find any other at the time. The Chrome Edition do sport a sticker on the box but no special markings on the parts that I could see. I also collect die cast models and it comes with a certificate with a production number verifying its limited edition status. Mr T's marketing team caught on to the 1:1 Japanese car manufacturers tricks. They are in the habit of adding a decal or two or/and the name of some poor animal to a car at the end of its production life to maximise final sales. Fortunately it only takes a few wipes with a rag and acetone to remove the chrome before painting. The best you can do with a chrome edition body is to to wash, dry and wipe it with surgical alcohol before giving it a couple of coats of automotive tint to give you a nice candy colour ready for the shelf. The chrome shows fine scratches when handled because they do not coat it with clear after the metal fuming process. I don't think these limited edition Magpie specials will ever become collectors items.
Marius

Re: New Built Chrome Midnight Pumpkin on eBay - SOLD 12 years 5 months ago #4609

Cheers for that! The reason for my questioning authenticity is that from what I've seen, the chrome plate isn't actual metal plate, it's a coating (Like paint) which as you say will come off with acetone etc (Proper chrome would only chip off in shards of hard foil). The giveaway is what's underneath it - proper chrome will have a metallic coating underneath, usually copper coloured, to aid the electroplating process. The bits I've seen have had either pale yellow or black undercoats, which is consistant with the 'chrome' coating I'm thinking of. I might be barking up the wrong tree, but I'm not convinced about this "chrome special edition" thing, unless like you say it comes with a certificate or numbers stamped into it or something

Re: New Built Chrome Midnight Pumpkin on eBay - SOLD 12 years 5 months ago #4613

I'm not sure why you are so septic to the Metallic versions, Tamiya are promoting them on their own sites: :cheer:
www.tamiyausa.c...t-id=84237

I don't think many would go for faking these kits, as making something that looks decent is expensive for the amateur, compared to the price Tamiya's kits are selling for.

For the "Chrome":
The chrome on proper chromed plastics are actually plating. (like Tamiya's models)
Of course plastic is not conductive, so the process is to first add a layer of a conductive material; often silver is impregnated onto the plastic. From there the process is somewhat the same as for regular chroming of a metallic piece, adding layers of copper, nickel and then chrome. (electrolytic, not dipping, painting, spraying or whatever)
Due to the electrolytic process the layers are very thin (0.00013 to 0.00025 mm) so the details on the parts are not cluttered.

Then you have the "chrome paint" (sprayed, painted, dipped). I have never seen a good (chrome-like) finish from any of these paints on har plastic.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.