Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How to make secure trades? 11 years 9 months ago #11127

True point, i once bought a Nissan King Cab from someone subscribed to this forum...it never arrived and the person never came online again either :angry:
so another 70 gbp thrown away :(
so don't get your hopes up too high if someone "new" here tries to sell you something!!

Cheers, Bram
Restoring Countach 58005
Restoring 58015 RR
Restoring 58098 F40
Restoring King Cab and Monsterracer
Restoring Audi Quattro rally
Restoring Mk.1 Sand Scorcher
Restoring Porsche 936

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: How to make secure trades? 11 years 9 months ago #11133

Just a suggestion, but would it be an idea to have some sort of form you have to fill in before posting in the trades section, something with alternative contact details, but only available to view by people who are members &/or genuinely interested?
OR something that treats the trades section only as an alert to the items availability, but only purchasable through Ebay or similar?
It just strikes me that although most people are trustworthy, without some kind of official buying/selling arrangement (Can't think of the right word) it's quite open to abuse by those less genuine.
For example, how do you deal with the instances where money has been sent but no item arrives, or arrives not as described? Or money has been "sent" but not received by the seller?
I personally think doing the actual deals through a website that's not a registered shop is just asking for trouble, & that it would be better treated as advertising the availability of an item for purchase by other means, preferably through an organisation that gives the buyer/seller some kind of protection against fraud.
I think if I were in Bram's situation (70 quid is more than I can afford to lose to some lowlife) I'd be none too happy, & would go looking for the best way to get my dosh back, & although I'm intelligent enough to realise this site's not to blame for the problem, there are plenty out there that would hold it personally responsible, & although it would never come to anything, would you really want the involvement/hassle of proving it?

Re: How to make secure trades? 11 years 9 months ago #11136

Very sad to hear what happened, Bram. :(
Maybe you could let Lars know which member that was...
A precaution for anyone could be to always use PayPal and start a complaint there when stuff doesn't show up.

Re: How to make secure trades? 11 years 9 months ago #11141

A large warning at the top of the trades section to remind people to be careful would be an easy but effective mod - something advising swapping contact details & using only Paypal/protected credit cards (Example). I've done it myself, get so excited over what you're buying that all precaution & sense goes out of the window - a friendly reminder might help

Re: How to make secure trades? 11 years 9 months ago #11162

A large warning at the top of the trades section to remind people to be careful would be an easy but effective mod - something advising swapping contact details & using only Paypal/protected credit cards (Example). I've done it myself, get so excited over what you're buying that all precaution & sense goes out of the window - a friendly reminder might help

Is the one now shown on the For Sale, Wanted, and Swap categories ok?

BTW, I have moved the last posts to a new topic as they are not related to wrabbit's post.
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: How to make secure trades? 11 years 9 months ago #11163

Posts moved now.
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: How to make secure trades? 11 years 9 months ago #11170

Yeah, I'd say so - it's so red you'd never miss it! It's clear in what it's saying whilst being friendly & informative

Re: How to make secure trades? 11 years 9 months ago #11171

Where is it located exactly? I don't see anything myself...

Re: How to make secure trades? 11 years 9 months ago #11176

Currently at the top of the Newman porsche & Super Champ for sale topic - guessing it'll find it's way into the header of the trades section if we like it?

Re: How to make secure trades? 11 years 9 months ago #11177

ah!, my eyes, thats red for sure B)

Last edit: by waterbok.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.