Keyword

TOPIC:

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 6 years 9 months ago #44967

Gave it a quick polish, Came up well I think ;) :laugh:

I think some smoke & mirrors were involved there ;)

edit - either that or Restoration oil :blink:
The following user(s) Liked this: AndyAus

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 6 years 9 months ago #44968

Thanks lads, I used a great product call "Newbodyandtyresonit" works wonders :cheer: :laugh:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut, Manotas

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 6 years 9 months ago #44972

Shiny Andy. I like that.

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 6 years 9 months ago #45010

Thanks lads, I used a great product call "Newbodyandtyresonit" works wonders :cheer: :laugh:

Hmmm i think you should send me the address where i can buy that product :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done Andy...it looks awesome !
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 6 years 9 months ago #45013

Thanks Andy, I will ask for that stuff at my local auto jobber!! ;)
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 6 years 9 months ago #45018

OK its here!!
My recent crazy spendbay Super Champ purchase.....I think you guys are a bad influence on me...;)

Looks pretty good, only missing the front lights, got to say the sellers pictures were good and his description was good too. There were some nice other bits included too!!

Perfect decal sheet, with a 1985 date, a good manual, some period propaganda and the tops off the screw bags?? The speed controller box contains what it says, another racing speed control and the motor box contains a perfect silver can motor in the packing. The red foam tires are OK but what would I use them for?? It is a good set of rear rims although, missing one outer part ( I am sure I have a replacement ) The other pair is a front set for a F-150 ?? BTW how can you tell for sure they are not for the Brat? I think they are a different offset, aren't they?? A couple of dings in the outer rim but they can be fixed.

Chassis looks great too!!

Rear tires look un-run, perhaps that is what the red foams were doing....and speaking of red there's that sprint motor!! :woohoo:

The rear looks perfect, no scratches to be seen, I really don't think this was run much, very clean indeed B)

The front looks good too, only a couple of scuffs that could polish out and a boil will fix the white marks :) The car also has bearing on the front wheels and a quick look out back shows bearings at the hub ends. Inside the gearbox?? who knows but it turns smooth so for now it all OK with me.:) But wait...................
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

Last edit: by oldwilly.

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 6 years 9 months ago #45019

OK here is the rest, I was going to say the good the bad and the ugly but it's really not that bad...

At first the fronts looked to be on backwards, back when I went to flip them I discovered they have been assembled with the center backwards and never fixed......the rears were mostly right......

Must have gone over on it's head once, that might also explain the slight bend in the bumper, perhaps it scared the owner from driving it......good for me :P Somebody tried to sand / polish it out but I think I have a NOS one in my spares I will look later...

OK, so checking for rear bearings I found this :blink: ..well based on the front wheels I am thinking this fellow was not to handy, lets just say that...The tire is a bit cracked but serviceable, hey it's been pinched for about 30 years!! I did take the wheel apart and reshaped the tire, it looks fine now :) But how could you not notice you had assembled it wrong?? Who know there may be some surprised in that gearbox too....... :S

There is one crack in the body...right up at the top of the cage but otherwise its perfect, I am pretty sure I can fix this easy enough......

And the oddest one for last, I almost did not see it at first but it seemed to sit a bit funny and when I went to change the front spring setting I noticed that THE FRONT SPRINGS ARE BACKWARDS :huh:
OK, Ok don't get me wrong this thing is great, its so clean and all these silly assembly things can be fixed. Hey I have the manual right here :P I am going to put this one the shelf for now and think about what to do with it, I have a very clean runner Champ that I had planned on doing up but this one might be better for the shelf queen...time will tell...perhaps and alternate paint job...is there one?? or ????

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 6 years 9 months ago #45020

Very nice find Oldwilly!
I love it when you buy a used car and get all the extras with it, like the screw bag headers, decals, catalogues etc.

Also your SC has these funny mistakes from an earlier owner's build. It just adds character in my mind :-)

Regarding paint; As far as I know there are now official alternatives, but I've seen some SCs painted black, with the original decals, which looks great!

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Last edit: by larbut.

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 6 years 9 months ago #45021

Congrats Willy. This SC is in a very good condition. Ideal for a shelf. Boxart or like said larbut, in black.

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 6 years 9 months ago #45025

Nice score :y: :)

The Super Champ appears in black (as well as boxart blue) in some Tamiya publications - the first variety also has the side skirt vents painted in what appears to be satin sky blue with the wheels also painted the same colour, some shots seem to imply that the wheels on the right side are painted a satin red, though it could be a different chassis entirely, with all four wheels red. IIRC there are some changes to the decals, possibly suggesting it was a prototype paint scheme. I haven't seen one with painted wheels or vents anywhere else, presumably because it looks a bit silly... though not as bad as the "Harlequin" VWs (predominantly a light sea green colour, but with random red, blue & yellow body panels :S ) you could get in the early 1990s ... :whistle:

The 2nd variety of black Super Champ is the same as the boxart version apart from being black instead of blue. :)

It also looks good in red IMO.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.423 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.