Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How do you pronounce Tamiya? 11 years 10 months ago #10628

• Edou
  • Edou's Avatar Topic Author
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
What the exact way of saying it would be, can only be reveiled by the big man himself of course...
I had not really thought about it but I read the stress is on the (...) syllable.
Which would mean I've been saying it (kinda) wrong for years! :whistle:
I think a person's country might be of influence, although it really shouldn't.
But since this is a poll, the question is how you pronounce it...

Btw - (...) will be filled in later - don't Google! :lol:

Edit - poll was removed. The discussion itself turned out to be interesting enough. :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: How do you pronounce Tamiya? 11 years 10 months ago #10631

My own view is that ta-MEEE-ya is just plain wrong, so anyone in the US of A, including anyone that has phoned Tamiya _USA_ :whistle: for the "correct" pronunciation is SOL :laugh:

Some people take the view that ta-MEE-yah is correct Engrish - i.e. how the Japanese are taught to pronounce English words in Japanese - not to be confused with how they learn to speak English - and that does have some credibility.

Putting a heavy emphasis on the second syllable is, unfortunately, correct modern _American_ English ... along with the inability to correctly pronounce any polysyllabic word involving L's or R's ;)

Correct Japanese pronunciation I believe to be an almost complete de-emphasis of the second syllable to a barely detectable pause, so Tam'ya?

Correct _English_ English is no emphasis on any of the 3 syllables, so just Tam-i-ya.

I think the main thing is that however you pronounce it, _do not_ correct someone else's pronunciation - the last time I went to an LHS and asked for a Tam-i-ya item, the guy insisted it was Ta_MEE-ya & it was quite clear he wasn't going to help until I agreed with him. I wonder how long he kept waiting after I called him a Berkshire & bought the thing online instead?

I can't vote in the poll, as despite some qualifications in English I have no idea what the accents are meant to signify in terms of pronunciation :whistle:

One last thing - look at all the Tamiya promos - the ones with the Tamiya USA voiceovers - sometime in the eighties, it changes from Tam-i-ya to Ta-MEEE-ya ...

Re: How do you pronounce Tamiya? 11 years 10 months ago #10633

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Maybe I'll remove the pole to make it a regular discussion...
Although I suspect that in the Southern European countries the stress could be more towards the last syllable.

Correct _English_ English is no emphasis on any of the 3 syllables, so just Tam-i-ya.

I tend mostly towards this but I cannot deny I have been indoctrinated by the language of the new world.
Another reason to get rid of the pole btw since a "stressless" option is not represented...

I went to an LHS

Exactly what I did today but in my case I think he actually said it more "correctly" - like the Japanese.
Sticking to what I've known for almost 30 years though.
Traxxas also came up and I have a totally Dutch way of saying that.
Not gonna go all american on that one.

:silly:

Still language isn't an exact science...
When I say my real name (Edo) in Spain nobody knows what I'm talking about.
If I stick a "u" behind it, it's suddenly crystal clear.
Through creating my own player in PES (Playstation), this forum name came into existence.
But that's besides the topic.

Re: How do you pronounce Tamiya? 11 years 10 months ago #10634

I am visiting my buddy who got me hooked on Tamiya, he should be able to help us out with how to pronounce Tamiya ( and Kyosho) as he is 100% Japanese and a Tamiya & RC freak ;)
I can ask my GF Fianc

Re: How do you pronounce Tamiya? 11 years 10 months ago #10635

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
?????????????
Hai waterbok, arigato!

Re: How do you pronounce Tamiya? 11 years 10 months ago #10636

????????????? google RE-translated : Yes, thanks to the African elephant :huh: :) :cheer: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

think you should have tried with waterbuck : ????????

Last edit: by waterbok.

Re: How do you pronounce Tamiya? 11 years 10 months ago #10648

i just say it how it looks :)

Re: How do you pronounce Tamiya? 11 years 10 months ago #10651

I say ta mi ya only...

Re: How do you pronounce Tamiya? 11 years 9 months ago #10810

Did we reach any sort of consensus?

What about Kyosho (key-yo-show?) or Marui (I'm really lost here ... Ma-Roo-ee?) :S

Re: How do you pronounce Tamiya? 11 years 9 months ago #10813

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Your movie poster made me watch Akira again... the non-dubbed pronunciation there is definitely Akira. :pinch:

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.