Keyword

TOPIC:

Clodbuster Grill insert 11 years 1 month ago #20613

Oh, & note the "Wrong way around" front-mounted shackles for the front leaf springs (The front shackles on a hilux belong under the cab).
& the redundant selection of holes in the bottom of the doors - Tamiya give you a crappy "chequer-plate" decal to cover them up. Impressive effort on their part considering the price tag for the kit! I don't mind filling holes on cheap second hand bodies, but not expensive new ones!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Clodbuster Grill insert 11 years 1 month ago #20616

Just found some more pics that might help -

Kit "As tipped out on the floor"

The gearbox guts - plate sticking out at the top is for mounting a 540, plate sticking out at the bottom is where the output/transfer gears & shafts go. The whole thing is housed in a vertically split black plastic housing (It's a tractor-truck 'box with an extra transfer section tacked underneath). Might help you get a feel for how much room this beast takes up.

What they look like with normal height, with 2.2 Wild Dagger wheels & Dirt Hawg tyres (I modified mine to drive on the pins rather than the hexes, to try & get the wheels more inboard) - this setup wraps the rear leaf springs around the axle if you make the truck do some work, eg drag yourself around the office on a wheely-chair...

& a pic of the home-made 1.9 wheels

Attachments:

Clodbuster Grill insert 11 years 1 month ago #20617

The F350 defiantly looks more at home on that chassis. Are the factory wheels 1.55"?

Clodbuster Grill insert 11 years 1 month ago #20621

:) Yes they are. It is strictly stock out of box.

Eddrick, I love your rims. They look like the original hilux ones. Maybe just a shiny polishing (or chroming if it can be make on aloy but not sure)
The following user(s) Liked this: eddrick

Clodbuster Grill insert 11 years 1 month ago #20632

Wheels are the same as Mu etc (They'll take Wranglers), but the tyres are slightly bigger than anything else Tamiya do.

My wheels were machined out of uPVC bar & painted to look like alloy.
There's a different set of home made ones on my Mu.
Made some ally ones for a vintage Hilux project ages ago (& custom leaf springs, shackles & a planetary reduction gearbox for it, to adjust gearing for the bigger wheels) - I'll have to have a dig about to see if I've still got any pics of it, I've certainly still got the CAD drawings I did for it

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.