Clodbuster Grill insert 11 years 1 month ago #20531

:woohoo: very fun so nice :y:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Clodbuster Grill insert 11 years 1 month ago #20545

Love the Silverado badges!

Clodbuster Grill insert 11 years 1 month ago #20550

Love the Silverado badges!

They were a total after thought. Figured I can't go wrong when I'm not going exact box art.

Clodbuster Grill insert 11 years 1 month ago #20551

It's little details like that which make all the difference.
The Highlift I've got came with metal detail decals, which I though were a nice touch. The Hilux body has had some serious detailing effort gone into it, it's a real shame Tamiya left a pile of unused holes in it, & for me, mounting it on the Highlift chassis is just a complete turn-off.
It's a shame Tamiya never put as much effort into detailing the Chevy or Ranger bodies

Clodbuster Grill insert 11 years 1 month ago #20556

I put those metal decals on my RC4WD Mojave body. They totally complete the scale look. The Mojave has a few less holes. If I ever get a chance to get a high lift chassis it's the body I'm gonna use.

Clodbuster Grill insert 11 years 1 month ago #20581

I don't know your thoughts on the Highlift chassis, but if you're a fan of scale stuff, don't bother , you'll be disappointed (I was, hugely). There's reasons why the Hilux version sits up so stupidly high - there's no room to sit the body properly on the chassis without hacking big lumps of it out, & the gearbox sits so low the car needs jacking up to get some ground clearance. Biggest problem is the sheer size (Mainly height) of the gearbox.

The other thing that bugs me about it is the steering knuckles at the rear - ok for monster trucks & crawlers, but not on a scaler please! Oh & the back to front leaf spring mounts & straight "girder" chassis shape.

RC4wd do much nicer chassis kits, I'd save my money & go for one of those rather than a highlift (Or scratch build one)

Clodbuster Grill insert 11 years 1 month ago #20583

That stinks about the high lift chassis. Well then I may go with plan B and bob a clod body to fit a TF2 chassis. Already have a Hilux TF2 and thinking of shelf queening the body and putting a hard Brat body on it.

Clodbuster Grill insert 11 years 1 month ago #20586

Don't let me put you off the highlift if that's what you fancy doing, you know what I'm like for whining about stuff... Just be aware of their "flaws".
Have you had a proper look at the manual &/or pics of them?

Another option might be to use just some of the highlift parts, & ditch/redo the dodgy bits, eg there are blocks available to replace the rear-steer knuckles, you could lose the gearbox & replace with a crawler one (Or Emaxx for 2-speed?), the front spring mounts could be reversed for realism. You could even come up with a more realistic ladder chassis?

Clodbuster Grill insert 11 years 1 month ago #20603

:) strictly stock

Attachments:

Clodbuster Grill insert 11 years 1 month ago #20611

I think out of all the pics I've seen, the F350 looks the best on the highlift chassis, the Hilux looks ridiculous. There's a reason the boxart for it was taken from such a low angle

Below are 2 pics of mine "just built".
Last pic is after I did major surgery on everything to try to get the gap between wheels & body more sensible. I managed to loose about 12mm of gap, but there's just nothing else I can modify to get it to sit lower. The bonnet sits on the top of the gearbox now.
Note also how the gearbox guard sits lower than the axles! Can't do anything with it, poxy thing!
Oh, & the wheels in the last pic are home-made ones

Attachments:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.