Keyword

TOPIC:

What did you do today? 5 years 10 months ago #50707

• AJB
  • Anytime Baby!
  • Anytime Baby!
Thanks! I got the Fox probably around 1987 when I would have been about 12. After a lot of use, its last run was probably about 1991 or 1992 by which time it had pretty much completely worn out its second set of driveshafts. I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the money on replacing them, so it rested... The steering/suspension lower balljoints had started popping out on big bumps too (also for the second time as I'd replaced the wishbones once to cure this).

Anyway, cupboard, parents' loft, my loft and 26 years passed, and then I discovered a month or so ago that the NovaFox existed. This (and the existence of the internet!) meant driveshafts could be bought easily, and as dogbones which is a mod I'd wondered if I'd be able to make ever since it wore out its first set in the 80s and I could see that friends' Hotshots and Boomerangs had driveshafts which looked stronger.

So I bought NovaFox driveshafts and new suspension ball joints (the metal ball rather than the wishbones this time, as I'd realised last time that it was actually the metal that'd worn as much as the plastic). Luckily I bought original rather than rere balls, as I realised afterwards that they were different and rere wouldn't have fitted. Only one damper had any damping, so new shock oil and I figured it was probably due new o-rings at the same time. One new battery and it lives!!!! Great fun rebuilding it, and running it :)

A couple more photos:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut, oldwilly, stingray-63, Gripper107, Al, Raywode

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by AJB. Reason: adding photos

What did you do today? 5 years 10 months ago #50716

Very nice time machine! brings back a lot of good memories, nice that you still have it and run it!!
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

The following user(s) Liked this: AJB

What did you do today? 5 years 10 months ago #50718

• AJB
  • Anytime Baby!
  • Anytime Baby!
Thanks! I'm really enjoying the fact that it works again. For 25 or so years I've known it's in the loft, but I've also known that it's broken with a dead driveshaft. I'm surprised how much I'm now liking knowing that it's all working! (All very worn from lots of use when I was a child, but all working nonetheless). The excitement of getting it and building it back in the day all came back whilst I was rebuilding it too - lots of friends had had them before me, and I'd wanted one for several years. And I'd spent huge amounts of time drooling over an old Tamiya catalogue (1980 vintage perhaps) which my Dad had got from somewhere. I found that old catalogue plus a couple of later 80s ones in my Fox box too, so I've been looking over them again and remembering all the cars I wanted!

It got another run yesterday evening as a friend messaged saying he was planning to fly one of his RC planes, and did I want to bring my car along - it was just like being 15 again!
The following user(s) Liked this: waterbok, Edou, stingray-63, mongoose1983, Al

What did you do today? 5 years 10 months ago #50719

I remind when I was child each time I take my Vanessa.
One of best sensations. :)

Re:What did you do today? 5 years 10 months ago #50723

Installed electronics in the Clod and took it for a spin today. Steerings needs some upgrading, better links and the steering savers/levers are quite wobbly.
The 240286s worked out nice.
The following user(s) Liked this: goldfish999

What did you do today? 5 years 10 months ago #50728

I'm starting to think "calendar" with that Fox pics (long time forum members will member).
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut, AJB

Re:What did you do today? 5 years 10 months ago #50729

Oh yeah 2019 TB special

Re:What did you do today? 5 years 10 months ago #50733

Yes +1 I will do some picts.

What did you do today? 5 years 10 months ago #50742

Vanessa and the rough dt02 are in the trol ready for holidays. :p

What did you do today? 5 years 10 months ago #50743

15% father day discount at MCI so ordered some decals. I have a father so was allowed to order ;)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.