Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hi from Perth West Australia 10 years 10 months ago #22463

I've just had a clean up of my hobby room and pulled out my Super Hornet which is now 20 years old.(#58124-9800)

I still have the original box and manuals and some spares. .

It's still in pretty good nick,a bit dusty, missing a headlight and one of the rear shock supports need replacing.

It's over 10 years since I last ran it. When I connect the battery the motor starts up regardless of the setting and the power switch, runs at full speed, does not respond to controller and have to disconnect the battery to stop it?

It has a manual speed controller and resister which I suspect is the cause, maybe members can advise me,my knowledge of the hobby is very limited?

I want to get back into the hobby and at the same time introduce my 12 yo son to the excitement!

Questions And consideration i have:

1.To get the Hornet running do I restore to original condition or use modern stuff?

2.Are the original MSC's available or replaceable, if so what do I look for and where?

3. It looks like ESC's have a lot of advantages over MSC, better control and extended battery life

3. What ESC can I use for this kit & where can I get one?

4.Stupid question - the kit has a switch lubricant, what is this used on - the MSC?

5. I also want to buy a new modern kit for myself & som - brushless motors - what recommendations on $300 budget?

Some pics

Look forward to hearing from members

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Hi from Perth West Australia 10 years 10 months ago #22464

Welcome on board :) :y:

Most obvious cause of the runaway motor - no frequency crystal in the receiver on the car. Other than that, you should always turn the transmitter on first, then the car.

:)

Hi from Perth West Australia 10 years 10 months ago #22466

Hi,

Welcome on TB

I want to get back into the hobby and at the same time introduce my 12 yo son to the excitement!

Questions And consideration i have:

1.To get the Hornet running do I restore to original condition or use modern stuff?
It depends if you want to keep it original. Personnaly i would keep it original but it's up to you.

2.Are the original MSC's available or replaceable, if so what do I look for and where?
Yes, original MSC are still available. You'll find them on E-bay :

3. It looks like ESC's have a lot of advantages over MSC, better control and extended battery life
ESC are more progressive with the power output...but honestly i'm not sure if they extend your battery life. Anyway it depends if you want to keep it original or not

3. What ESC can I use for this kit & where can I get one?
You can use this one

4.Stupid question - the kit has a switch lubricant, what is this used on - the MSC?
The switch lubricant is used on the MCS contacts

5. I also want to buy a new modern kit for myself & som - brushless motors - what recommendations on $300 budget?
Hmm i'd rather say it depends if you're more in to onroad,offroad,4x4 crawler etc....

Hope this helps.
Manotas
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family

Hi from Perth West Australia 10 years 10 months ago #22468

Well spotted Jonny!

Hadn't noticed - not sure I would have removed that?

Hi from Perth West Australia 10 years 10 months ago #22471

Hi Manotas
Thanks for your response

Just been reading some forums, seems like there are a lot of enthusiasts who keep them in original state - so yes that's my call?

I do remember it being difficult to control and the battery didn't last long which is where I'm going with the questions and am interested in putting ESC in to see if it improves performance

I was referring to extended running time of battery using ESC

You didn't give details of the ESC you were recommending?

I'll try the lubricant on the MSC contact points thanks

I'd like to buy a new buggy 2 or 4WD for every day use, the Hornet I'd like to be running for occasional use

Hi from Perth West Australia 10 years 10 months ago #22472

Hi,

Hi Manotas
Thanks for your response

Just been reading some forums, seems like there are a lot of enthusiasts who keep them in original state - so yes that's my call?

Well if youwant to keep it in original state, just give the MSC a good clean up, lubricate it and run it like that. Of course MSC are way better in terms smoother of power output but there are not keeping the "vintage" spirit.

I was referring to extended running time of battery using ESC

Honestly i can't give you an accurate response to your question. Sorry !

You didn't give details of the ESC you were recommending?

I'm recommending that ESC because it's the most common and used in many NIB kits nowadays.
Even if it's a "standard" one the specifications are perfect for a normal use :
the complete spec sheet can be found here

I'd like to buy a new buggy 2 or 4WD for every day use, the Hornet I'd like to be running for occasional use

If your budget allows it, i would recommend the re-re Hotshot !
It's a fantastic 4WD buggy with excellent driving performance. And if it's not enough, you can still install a SportsTuned motor without having to replace the ESC included in the kit!

I hope this helps !
Manotas

Last edit: by Manotas.

Hi from Perth West Australia 10 years 10 months ago #22473

If you are just looking for something to bash around the garden, I hate to say it (I will probably get banned for this!), but I would go for one of the modern, cheap buggies rather than a Tamiya. Something like a Traxxas Bandit or Ansmann Mad Monkey/Mad Rat. Keep the Tamiyas for the shelf and occasional light use.

Hi from Perth West Australia 10 years 10 months ago #22474

Attachments:

Hi from Perth West Australia 10 years 10 months ago #22477

Hey and welcome to the Base ;) your car is in great condition, almost new :ohmy: I bet if you removed the msc and gave it a good clean, then put it back in with some new switch grease it would work fine :laugh: If you look in the box you'll probably find the receiver crystal too :y: With a user name like "NeedBeer" your definitely a Perth boy :lol: :laugh: :lol: :laugh:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Hi from Perth West Australia 10 years 10 months ago #22489

Thanks for the great feedback!

I've already stripped the Hornet down, not too much wear & tear,just need to replace the support for rear damper spring, one of the axle springs has also snapped.Tomorrow will clean everything, replace damper oil,grease and then start shopping for the replacement parts and crystal receiver!

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.