Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

An 58059 enthusiast from Amsterdam says hello! 10 years 8 months ago #24078

Another retro user here, living in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

When I was 13 (in '88) I saved up for a year and got the 959 Dakar (58059), my dream RC car. Had a lot of fun with it for years, then gave it away to my younger brother. He later returned it to me, but I didn't really bother with it for years.

Over a decade ago I got into eBay and found myself looking for some 959 parts that I needed to get mine in good running state again. But I went a little further, and over the years bought another 959 new in box, a new, built up 959 chassis (without motor) and then another complete one, but with a badly beat up body - painted green (yuck!). Plus a bunch of extra tires and rims and parts I knew where most prone to wear and breaking. I even got a Kyosho 959 on nitro, but that's a story for another forum.

I needed to get kids of my own to get properly back into it though. My oldest now is 8, so I figured he may enjoy some RC with his dad. There's a big parking lot near where we live, plus skate ramps which make for a great location for jumps and tricks.

So now that I'm back I wanted to make the collection future proof and to be able to drive a pair of 959s on the weekend without worry. I was delighted when I found another 959 in good shape at a decent price here in Holland. Most importantly, it's got a body in very good shape. And I ordered a Kamtec 959 repro shell so I can replace the fugly green one.

Today I find myself in the luxurious position of having three working 959s, and one that's a parts donor (my own '88 original). Two are runners, I don't mind if they suffer a bit, as they're not exactly spotless to begin with and I've got enough parts to last me a while. The other one I'll occasionally drive but intend to keep in really good shape, and maybe mod with some working lights (brake, indicators etc), I think that'll be nice. No idea what I'll do with the NIB, have no intent to make a shelf queen. Maybe I'll sell it one day...

I've converted the runners to electronic speed controllers, as I've always hated the mechanical one in the original. And with 4300mah batteries you can get these days they run for 30 minutes or so, which is great!

A plan I have is to mount a GoPro camera to one of the 959 chassis for fun, and the do a 'chase' of one or two of the other 959s on camera. Not sure how that'll pan out but my son can't wait to try and upload it to Youtube.

Every time my son and I are driving our 959s people come over and ask what they are. They're still plenty fast. It's a lot of fun to explain the legacy and, in my opinion, engineering brilliance and stunning looks of this particular model. And I'm glad to be able to enjoy this hobby together with my son.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

An 58059 enthusiast from Amsterdam says hello! 10 years 8 months ago #24082

That's a great introduction, a welcome from another Dutch guy. :) :y:
The 959's a classic and an awesome car. Knowing Tamiya, it may even get rereleased one day...
The following user(s) Liked this: jeroen020

Last edit: by Edou.

An 58059 enthusiast from Amsterdam says hello! 10 years 8 months ago #24086

:laugh:
Edo Now you're no more alone.
Welcome boy

An 58059 enthusiast from Amsterdam says hello! 10 years 8 months ago #24089

the 959 is indeed a very nice model!
if you want to get a new shell for it you can try team bluegroove on ebay,
they are making nice repro's

and welcome on the forum :y:

An 58059 enthusiast from Amsterdam says hello! 10 years 8 months ago #24091

:)
Yes,
Team Bluegroove is TBG bodies maker :y:

An 58059 enthusiast from Amsterdam says hello! 10 years 8 months ago #24106

Thanks everyone!

I've ordered a Kamtec shell a few days ago already, hopefully it'll be here soon. I'll see how I like it it, if it's not to my liking I'll go ahead and get the Bluegroove you recommend.

It would be great if Tamiya would do a re-release. On the other hand it may mean my NIB will loose its value. I just saw a NIB 959 appear on eBay. Guess what, starting bid $999... If it sells maybe I should go ahead and list mine too... I like the idea of having one but at prices like that I won't regret selling it.

An 58059 enthusiast from Amsterdam says hello! 10 years 8 months ago #24107

Hi Jeroen,
Have you some picts of the kyosho 959?
I have a ZR1 and I would like to see a 959 chassis. Is it the same than the 405T16? :y:

An 58059 enthusiast from Amsterdam says hello! 10 years 8 months ago #24121

Hi Stingray, I never did much with the Kyosho and have very little knowledge of it. I bought it for its looks (how superficial ;-). I'll try to snap a pic tonight so you can hopefully recognize it.

An 58059 enthusiast from Amsterdam says hello! 10 years 8 months ago #24136

Stingray, here's a few pics of the Kyosho chassis:

BTW I'm thinking about selling the Kyosho 959.

Last edit: by jeroen020.

An 58059 enthusiast from Amsterdam says hello! 10 years 8 months ago #24144

:woohoo: Very different of the ZR1. I don't know this chassis. If you are seller, I could be your Customer. I am fan of the 959 but never had the budget to have a tamiya one. I love the kyosho too because they have nice bodies too. :y: :y: :y:

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.