Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Christmas presents 6 years 6 months ago #46295

• VCR
  • VCR's Avatar Topic Author
  • Anytime Baby!
  • Anytime Baby!
I'm thinking of a car with abs body. So we could take our time to build, assemble some lights, accessories and a custom paint scheme... What do you think of the Lowride Pumpkin or the Mitsubishi Pajero Metaltop?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Christmas presents 6 years 6 months ago #46296

Pajero or wrangler. I agree. The cc01 is fun to build. And the body is amazing.

Christmas presents 6 years 6 months ago #46297

Lowride Pumpkin is very small, it's not going to have any off road capability without lifting the body & changing the tyres at the very least, plus the chassis is not very interesting to build.

CC-01 chassis is a bit more interesting to build & a hard body version such as the Pajero MTW is going to give you a lot of scope for paint an or mods - however, out of the box, the chassis is something of an oddity. It's far too slow even for casual racing, but is also much too fast for its top heavy handling. Slowed up with a 55T motor or slower (or a 4:1 reduction box if you don't mind the chassis hackery required) it makes a lot more sense, but is then even more unsuited to a track.

Possibly a slightly left field choice, but I'd also give serious consideration to a Subaru Brat - it's a very nice, hard body with plenty of opportunity for taking time on the paint and details. Plus there's also a lexan body in the kit, which is probably the better choice for running. The RWD ORV (Frog etc) chassis was a silly choice on Tamiya's part IMO, but it's an involving build, and it's reasonably capable on the track ... well, compared to some buggies ...

That said, I don't know anyone who has regretted buying a Lunchbox - for fun per unit of currency it's hard to see anything beating a pair of them round a track. The chassis is I admit nonsensical, but it's a fun (if quick) build. Boxart is pretty silly, and decal sets exist for the Scooby Doo Mystery Machine & Cannonball Run Ambulance, the A-Team van is another obvious choice. You might also look at the Midnight Pumpkin. Wild Willy 2 wheelbase is too short to make it competetive with a Lunchbox IMO, but still fun & there's a lot of bodywork to paint & detail.

:)

Christmas presents 6 years 6 months ago #46298

There is the Montero pajero too on the CW01. ;)

Christmas presents 6 years 6 months ago #46301

• VCR
  • Anytime Baby!
  • Anytime Baby!
Jonny Retro I also really like Subaru Brat but Crawlers dont have much success here ...
I already have a good set of ideas. It will also depend a lot on what is available in the store ... The brand with great implantation in Portugal is Kyosho which complicates the shopping for Tamiya. To send from abroad, as the mail is very expensive, both have to come from the same store and they dont always have everything.

Christmas presents 6 years 6 months ago #46303

Hi all,
As is the case I wanted to add my 2 cents worth here :)
I agree with Jonny about the CC01 being a great build and also about its driving habits :dry: , however geared and motored down a bit it does make the basis for a good scale off road type project but it is no racer......
The Lunch box type is very fun as well but only good for racing against others of it type :( sort of like way back in the day when we raced Wild Willy's, lots of laughs but ............
The Frog or Brat would be a good choice for me as there is some good building to be done, there are aftermarket bits if you want to hop it up a bit and Frogs can hold their own on the track against mid range 2wd buggies in the right hands ( not mine :laugh: )
If you are looking for body options I would go with the Brat ( 2 options) and then a 540 motor in the near future.

I will also address your Kyosho comment here and risk outing myself a bit :ohmy:
Dealer networks can be important too, Tamiya is the most popular brand where I am ( I think ) but if Kyosho is bigger where you are they have some good options to consider now. Most of their line up seems to be serious racing or small scale toys but with the recent classic series they have been doing, you might want to take a look.
OK forgive me folks but I do have a beautiful vintage Tomahawk on my shelf as well as the re-re Scorpion and the Optima :ohmy: :ohmy:
Yes, shameful I know.....but I think for a fun 2wd buggy option one should consider the Scorpion, the Beetle and the Turbo Scorpion. I think the Beetle has the best body option, not hard plastic but very good none the less, sort of a Sand Scorcher of a car but lighter and faster.......;) ......... I would chose the Turbo Scorpion over the regular one as I think it looks better but there is a bit of a price difference.
On the good side, you do need to build these kits, they have a bunch of metal and some hop ups are available too :)
On the down side, they tend to cost more than say a Frog kit ( at least here they do) and they don't come with a motor and speed controller either driving up the price a little bit more.
To be honest I am trying not to buy a Beetle and now the Javelin is back too....hmmm...its just not fair.

So........
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

Christmas presents 6 years 6 months ago #46304

Hi all,
As is the case I wanted to add my 2 cents worth here :)
I agree with Jonny about the CC01 being a great build and also about its driving habits :dry: , however geared and motored down a bit it does make the basis for a good scale off road type project but it is no racer......
The Lunch box type is very fun as well but only good for racing against others of it type :( sort of like way back in the day when we raced Wild Willy's, lots of laughs but ............
The Frog or Brat would be a good choice for me as there is some good building to be done, there are aftermarket bits if you want to hop it up a bit and Frogs can hold their own on the track against mid range 2wd buggies in the right hands ( not mine :laugh: )
If you are looking for body options I would go with the Brat ( 2 options) and then a 540 motor in the near future.

I will also address your Kyosho comment here and risk outing myself a bit :ohmy:
Dealer networks can be important too, Tamiya is the most popular brand where I am ( I think ) but if Kyosho is bigger where you are they have some good options to consider now. Most of their line up seems to be serious racing or small scale toys but with the recent classic series they have been doing, you might want to take a look.
OK forgive me folks but I do have a beautiful vintage Tomahawk on my shelf as well as the re-re Scorpion and the Optima :ohmy: :ohmy:
Yes, shameful I know.....but I think for a fun 2wd buggy option one should consider the Scorpion, the Beetle and the Turbo Scorpion. I think the Beetle has the best body option, not hard plastic but very good none the less, sort of a Sand Scorcher of a car but lighter and faster.......;) ......... I would chose the Turbo Scorpion over the regular one as I think it looks better but there is a bit of a price difference.
On the good side, you do need to build these kits, they have a bunch of metal and some hop ups are available too :)
On the down side, they tend to cost more than say a Frog kit ( at least here they do) and they don't come with a motor and speed controller either driving up the price a little bit more.
To be honest I am trying not to buy a Beetle and now the Javelin is back too....hmmm...its just not fair.
U
So........

I haven't a lot of kyosho, but in gp, the better I had, is the USA1 nitro crusher. Multi purpose. And if you prefer on road, a pure ten gp. In nuclear version, you have the hi rider II.
For crawling, the best is (in tamiya brand only) the cr01. And with several nice bodies.
Or look for a big scale like the marder beetle or marder buggy. ;)

Christmas presents 6 years 6 months ago #46311

• VCR
  • Anytime Baby!
  • Anytime Baby!
Oldwilly, for racing with my son I'm going to buy a second Porsche. Since I do not know anyone in the vicinity who also has RCs, the races are just between us, on an abandoned soccer field.
When I lived in Lisbon I had other cars, Kyosho, Serpent and a FG, I liked them all. But in Lisbon there was a group dedicated to RC and we had a track to compete ... most of these cars have explosion engines which is out of the question because of the noise.
The second car will be the first car that my son will build, it does not have to be competitive.
Stingray-63 no nitro or gasoline ;-)

Christmas presents 6 years 6 months ago #46313

VCR, look a traxxas slash 4X4 brushless with a lipo stick. This car is awesome. But in my mind, you can't buy only one car.
You need a nice hard body => the cc01
You need a pleasent built chassis=> cr01, ta 02t, cc01
And a pleasant drive car. Follow your mind buddy. ;)

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.