Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tamiya Wild One Rerelease 11 years 3 months ago #17876

So, starting to think about my next project. A rerealease wild one. Want this primarily as a general basher, but there were talks at the last race meet of doing a regular vintage class for the rerelease tamiya, which sounded like a laugh so it might end up becoming a racer. Atm looks like it will be faced against frogs, so not sure how it will handle :dry:

Believe it or not, I'm planning on keeping this relativly stock, not even at this stage planning on changing the wheels (shocker I know!). Only thing I am considering changing from boxart is the colour. I figured I had to make it at least a little bit individual :P I've had a look through many many many photos of wild ones (in fact, I have just over 300 photos of them currently stored on my laptop :whistle: ) and am quietly considering going for something different.... brown :evil:

This isn't a colour I've seen done before, and just hoping it will go with the red cage and decals (red and brown go together right... :whistle: ) Struggling atm to find a decent brown. Tamiya paints seem quite limited. Wasn't sure if anyone knew of any other UK companies that sell decent paint for the lexan bodies?

Second, and far more sensible choice is blue. Maybe metallic? Would be interested to hear peoples thoughts, if browns a no, please say before I do something I regret :dry:

As for the motor, thinking either a tamiya dirt or sports tuned.

And lastly, want to try and get lipos into it. I prefer the extended and more consistent drive times over that of what I used to get from the Nimhs. Might have to rework the battery holder, it looks a little bit exposed to me (okay I lied, there will still be a little modding :whistle: )

Oh, and one last thing (this time it is), anyone had any experience with RC Channel that make metal parts for this car? Look nice, but not sure about how the added weight might affect the handling :dry:

www.ebay.co.uk/...1423.l2649

Will takes photos when the car arrives, hopefully within the week ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Tamiya Wild One Rerelease 11 years 3 months ago #17877

Parma used to have a nice light brown metallic called coral. Had a hint of pink in it. I did a M-01 Mini in it with yellow paint splash.
The following user(s) Liked this: alexthetaxi

Tamiya Wild One Rerelease 11 years 3 months ago #17886

I can see a reddy brown working ...

Humbrol "Modeller's Spray" is meant to work on polycarbonate, but I've had mixed results with it, it seems to depend on the colour as well as things you can control like cleaning the surface first, light coats & lots of curing time. White stuck like the proverbial to a blanket, black was pretty good, blue not so good & orange was poor, though all did get a bit of a hard time from me :whistle:

Have a look at #160 "German Camo Red" (in 150ml aerosol) anyway :)

Tamiya Wild One Rerelease 11 years 3 months ago #17922

Brown-red sounds like a nice plan. :)
But I'm pretty sure you'll end up modding the car more when you start racing it. ;)

Tamiya Wild One Rerelease 11 years 3 months ago #17924

But I'm pretty sure you'll end up modding the car more when you start racing it. ;)

Sounds like you know me so well :P

Glad you don't all think I'm a loony for trying this colour scheme. Das, you mention parma paint. I might be being really special here, but can't seem to find any :s

Johnny, I like the look of the camo red. Just struggling to find somewhere that sells it in an aerosol can and in stock. Guess I will have to keep looking. How easy is it to remove paint from lexan if it all goes pete tong. I'm not that used to working with lexan bodies other than my main race car (durango dex210 - so completely different) which I just used tamiya paint for and haven't had any issues with.

Tamiya Wild One Rerelease 11 years 3 months ago #17926

TBH I didn't check on the availability of that variety of Humbrol paint :blush:

Tamiya PS paint is definitely superior, but looking at the chart, doesn't come in anything close to brown... I think you'd have to experiment - PS37 Translucent Red backed with PS14 Copper would probably give a metallic red with a brown tinge? Or maybe translucent orange backed with copper?

IDK if you saw it, I used translucent orange over silver on a Sand Rover (obviously the TS varieties, and backwards to the order it would need to be done on leaxn) , the results were "interesting"... a darker version of this could work?

Attachments:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Tamiya Wild One Rerelease 11 years 3 months ago #17927

Parma paint is called fascolor. But I had it wrong anyway it was a Pactra color. And they don't make any browns anymore.
www.testors.com...ray_Paints

Tamiya Wild One Rerelease 11 years 2 months ago #17943

I used to race an original Wild One back in the 80s, they do really well on carpet with stock tyres & stock motor. I tried a modified in it, but it actually slowed the lap times down - too much wheelspin & tail-out. That's the other thing with them, they prefer drift-style to race-line.
Don't hit anything backwards - you'll split the rear arms.
Watch the front-upper gearbox mounting screws - they tend to strip easily (Fit a long bolt through if they do)

Tamiya Wild One Rerelease 11 years 2 months ago #17956

Cheers the racing advice. We race on a mixture of carpet and polished wooden floor. Usually use spikes, but will see how well the standard wild one tyres work first.

I never realised it would be so hard to find a brown for polycarbonate. I assumed it was just another one of the standard colours. I've found this thread where they've used a TS paint (red brown) on the lexan. Wondering how well this would stick. Anyone got experience of this?

Other option is, I've seen this nice one in copper which I'm starting to like. Only thing is i'm not sure if it's a colour I would quickly get sick of :unsure:

Attachments:

Tamiya Wild One Rerelease 11 years 2 months ago #17959

I think that looks pretty good ... and would look even better if the bits that started out red (cage, nerf bars, lights) had been left that way :whistle:

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.