Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tamiya Wild One Rerelease 11 years 2 months ago #17960

Oh really? I was worried that the extra red would be too much? What colour do you think that is? I originally assumed copper, but wondering if it's more similar to your translucent orange and silver?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Tamiya Wild One Rerelease 11 years 2 months ago #17961

What colour do you think that is? I originally assumed copper, but wondering if it's more similar to your translucent orange and silver?

Looks like Aztec Gold, which is backed in black to make it work. Used it on an '80 Blazer a couple years ago.

Tamiya Wild One Rerelease 11 years 2 months ago #17974

You could try mixing paints, but try it on stuff that doesn't matter first.

I'd suggest, get white lexan paint (Clear if it's available), & a tin of your favourite colour automotive paint (They should be compatible). Model enamel, Plasticote, Hammerite, artists acrylic etc won't work, it has to be stuff with the same (Or similar) solvent in it eg cellulose/xylene etc - it should smell the same/similar to the lexan stuff.

Spray the paints into a jar, starting with the lexan paint, & try to get the majority of it to be the lexan paint - idea is the lexan paint does the sticking, the automotive does the required colour, functionally-wise. You should now have a jar full of wet stuff that's the right colour, that will stick to lexan.

Then, brush it on or use an airbrush. You'll need lots of coats as it tends to be rather thin & watery - let it dry well between coats

Tamiya Wild One Rerelease 11 years 2 months ago #17975

Other option, use the automotive colour you want, & when it's properly dry, "back" it with a light coloured lexan paint.
Doesn't stay stuck as well as mixing, but stays stuck better than auto paint alone.

Biggest thing is to "key" the surface of the lexan with fine wet-n-dry or a plastic pan scourer, & wash the parts well in hot soapy water, to get rid of any mould-release agents that the manufacturer might've used. Don't touch the cleaned body between cleaning & painting, as finger grease can also cause odd results

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.