Keyword

TOPIC:

Avante 2001 10 years 11 months ago #21862

Cool parts. Be careful with the titanium hex heads, they are quite vulnerable. The Phillips heads are better like that. ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Edou.

Avante 2001 10 years 11 months ago #21900

Yeah the hex heads were an accidental purchase. In other news some more parts arrived!:
  • Avante B Parts
  • Technigold motor

I notice the plugs on the Technigold are different to what was on the old motor so I guess it's just a simple job of soldering the other ones on? I'm going to have to replace the lower gearbox piece at some point too as the one of the screws is slipping.

And the pinion gear still slips off from time to time :( But the Technigold is nice and plenty fast for me at the moment.

Cosmetically challenged Technigold

B parts

Cracked gearbox cover

All in, not too pretty but it's getting there slowly

Last edit: by protean.

Avante 2001 10 years 11 months ago #21901

Going nicely. :y:

so I guess it's just a simple job of soldering the other ones on?

Yeah, best put on some matching connectors. Some new gold plugs maybe...

You can temporarily get some grip back again in the screw hole if you reinforce the sides with some superglue and a safety pin. Let dry a little and then gently put the screw back in as tightly as you can. Usually you'll end up with a not too shabby new thread.
If you're getting a new lower gearbox anyway, you might as well drill through the hole and put a longer machine thread screw with a nut on the other side on it...
The following user(s) Liked this: protean

Last edit: by Edou.

Avante 2001 10 years 11 months ago #21903

Weird little connectors on that Technituned. :huh:
If the wires on the old motor are thinner than these, you may not want to use them.
This motor needs the space for the additional current it's drawing.
Can't really tell from the pics...

Avante 2001 10 years 11 months ago #21906

Weird little connectors on that Technituned. :huh:
If the wires on the old motor are thinner than these, you may not want to use them.
This motor needs the space for the additional current it's drawing.
Can't really tell from the pics...

I can't tell either without maybe cutting them. If I source some new wire am I looking at 12awg or as much as 10?

Nice tip with the super glue :y:

J

Avante 2001 10 years 11 months ago #21957

Ooops, busted!

I assume the HiCap dampers also come with plastic mounts? Maybe there are some third party alternatives.

The springs are pretty corroded anyway and I think that broken one leaks a bit anyway.... thinking positively :)

Attachments:

Avante 2001 10 years 10 months ago #22847

Ok, I had the can out for my Frog wheels so I thought I'd test it on the damaged body of this. After a couple of soaks it still has a lot of paint in the recesses but I guess I wasn't trying hard enough :) The polycarbonate doesn't like De-Solve much.

I'm going to persevere and paint it eventually as well as tape up the major cracks as I do still have a shiny new undercowl to put on it should it get retired.

J

Avante 2001 10 years 10 months ago #22854

TBH that's about what happened with my Bigwig shell :(

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.539 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.