Keyword

TOPIC:

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 11 years 4 months ago #18480

Went to test the gear in the Holiday Buggy ... I guess my standards were a lot lower when I buit this 3-4 years ago - the electrics were crumbling :sick:

Poking things about because control was a bit patchy ... the bullet connectors on the MSC fell off, the black wire soldered on the centre pin of the MSC fell off, the MSC contacts weren't contacting, and the radio was cutting out thanks to a dry & frayed joint in the switch ... how did this ever work lonng enough for me to break it last time? :huh:

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 11 years 4 months ago #18503

Was it lead-free solder perchance?

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 11 years 4 months ago #18513

Was it lead-free solder perchance?

I don't know, it looks shiny enough ... my guess is whoever soldered it had a completely inadequate soldering iron, or a complete absence of skill :pinch:

I can't badword too much though, I obviously didn't check the wiring, or thought it would be ok :whistle:

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 11 years 4 months ago #18556

I have to admit, I've looked at some of my older cars, ones that I did before joining the site, & the standard of care & attention was considerably less too.
Mind you, back then I was building them to bash in work's carpark, not to be scrutinised by enthusiasts & collectors!

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 11 years 4 months ago #18563

....scrutinised by enthusiasts & collectors!

Yes, you're quite a scary lot you know! :whistle:

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 10 years 4 months ago #27398

Time to have another look at the vintage Sand Rover/Holiday Buggy gearbox issue ...

To recap: the gears are fragile after all these years, pretty much irreplaceable, and my previous attempts to make my own with modified off the shelf parts failed, thanks to the inaccuries inherent in the Hobbyking lathe I was using, and not being able to bond, weld or pin the delrin gears together.

This time I thought I'd have a crack at a belt drive ... my initial "design" to replace the 540 motor setup ("A" and "C" gears) called for a single belt with a motor pulley as small as I could make it & a drive pulley (/spool) as big as would physical fit ... but even then, the gearing was going to be way too tall, so a 2 belt setup was called for ...

1 - Pinion gear gets replaced with a small al. pulley (tapped M3 so a grubscrew can hold it in position) ... this runs via a 3mm o/d o-ring to the "large" side on a ...

2 - intermediate pulley, machined from solid al. again with recesses so it can run 840 bearings on the original 4mm shaft ... this runs via a 2nd 3mm o/d o-ring to the ...

3- drive pulley/spool - machined from solid al. , runs on a mild steel 5mm shaft & held in place with an M5 grubscrew...

I have no idea how well this is going to work - it all fits ok but the o-rings I have are far too long, even with much shorter ones, slippage is going to me a big worry ... as is overheating :whistle: I have some shorter (& much better) ones on order, I also have a "gearbox" cover to fit before (weather permitting) I can test drive it :)

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 10 years 4 months ago #27401

Does it work? - How well? :cheer:

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 10 years 4 months ago #27402

HI!... I'll try to find the link. It might of been on my HD that crashed. I was in talks with a company in the UK that was willing to make any gear I would send them, out of hardened steel. Min was 25 pieces.They were pretty cheap too if I remember.

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 10 years 4 months ago #27403

HI!... I'll try to find the link. It might of been on my HD that crashed. I was in talks with a company in the UK that was willing to make any gear I would send them, out of hardened steel. Min was 25 pieces.They were pretty cheap too if I remember.

Can I put in an order for 3 sets in advance :lol:

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 10 years 4 months ago #27405

Don't know if that belt drive will work but it sure does look nice B) would it be possible to make it toothed like conventional drive belts?

Last edit: by tamiya nut.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.344 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.