Keyword

TOPIC:

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 3 years 4 months ago #64249

That's an Amazing work/ rescue

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 3 years 4 months ago #64255

Etronix Pulse RX (from my long sold re-re FAV, or maybe my Wild One), TEU101BK ESC from the spares box with new XT60 connector to match my modded Lipo packs, 2-3S Lipo alarm & cheap new UBEC (because the TEU10BK is a bit crap for modern batteries & RX TBH) - all fit fairly tidily I think. On/off switch is accessible through the front right wheelarch :)

Attachments:

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 3 years 4 months ago #64256

Great work Jon!

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 3 years 4 months ago #64357

Cracking on with the Holiday Buggy, it's basically the same process but with good news/bad news ...

Badly knolled & incomplete set of parts:

Gearbox sawn off & rear of tub made good:

Front end unnecessaries sawn off:

Extending the steering rod gaps:

Notching the front reinforcing bulkhead for the SRB shock towers:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 3 years 4 months ago #64358

Tub front end mods complete:

Marking rear end of tub for SRB gearbox notches ... they really didn't need to go as far forward as that ...

I started sawing off the SRB roll bar before thinking I should check whether I needed to ... I didn't :)

SRB front towers are a bit of a problem :( The "best" solution I have come up with so far to make up that 18mm difference is a combination of a spacer between the  body & the front body mount hook, saw the shock towers down to (probably) beneath the headlight mounting brackets, and fitting the shorter rear dampers, via spacer &  a threaded hole in a weak part of the frotn tower ... it won't hurt to think on for a couple of days to see if a better idea surfaces ...

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 3 years 4 months ago #64384

Wow! Just wow! That Jonny... I watch in awe, with a slight pinch of bordeline disgust, how you bastardize the two of my favorite Tamiya vehicles, Sand Scorcher and Holiday Buggy, into what seems to become some sort of a Tamiya-Frankenstein buggy. The Holiday Buggy body is one of the most attractive looking in the world, but its chassi never was a very capable one. Put this body on a SRB chassi, which is the most realistic and spectacular reconstructions in 10-scale RC, and make it well, you got yourself a super-Tamiya Holiday Scorcher.

But Jonny, wouldn't it be a better idea to just skip that plastic tub and do an aluminium plate in the proper length, fasten the body-holder onto that? I'm not so sure you want that tub. Or can't you 3D-print a designated body-holder to mount to an existing SRB chassi?

And I'm admiring your work on your Sand Rovers earlier. *Bad word* they're awesome!
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Last edit: by uncletom.

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 3 years 4 months ago #64392

But Jonny, wouldn't it be a better idea to just skip that plastic tub and do an aluminium plate in the proper length, fasten the body-holder onto that? I'm not so sure you want that tub. Or can't you 3D-print a designated body-holder to mount to an existing SRB chassi?

I really wanted to retain as much of the original chassis as possible, on the sand rover you can see the sides of the tub (a la Myers Manx), and even on the holiday buggy - even though it just looks just like shadow through the front wheelarches -  going to a simple plate chassis would be obvious & look wrong to me.

With all the mods it's definitely turned into more of a "remains of the tub fixed to an SRB chassis" rather than the "tub with SRB bits attached", but I'm still happier with that than "just the body on an SRB chassis".

:)

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 3 years 4 months ago #64394

I didn't give it any more thinking time, it didn't work out quite as I'd hoped, but I'm committed now ...

There's not enough space to have the spring and the damper in the available space, but even if I put a spring inside the shock, there's only a couple of mm of travel possible & that's going to put far too much load on the very weak mount point on the cut down shock towers, so better to go without I think, shortening the short shocks is beyond my abilities. I will try stuffing the front tubes with AW grease in the hope that might give some damping.

I will hunt around for anything that might be a better spacer here, but I'm not going to make something when such a small number of washers is working.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 3 years 4 months ago #64413

Stuffing the front tubes on th HB SRB hasn't really given it any damping, but I have put the electrics in. I'm calling this finished, for the time being at least. :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Al

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 3 years 4 months ago #64417

Very bad ideas for me Jonny :D....

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.