Keyword

TOPIC:

My M chassis builds 8 years 6 months ago #35720

:) And if you make a small 6 in line?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

My M chassis builds 8 years 6 months ago #35736

:) And if you make a small 6 in line?

I see what you're getting at, but no - for several reasons:

1 - an in line 6 cylinder engine is longer than a V8 ... yes, it's a lot narrower, but that's only an advantage if you can fit it transversly and I'm not sure that's ever been done on a RWD vehicle - for realism purposes that just wasn't an option here. And the front suspension would still be in the way;

2 - the main reason for abandoning the project was not because I couldn't make an engine fit (I had), but because I'd made such a bish of the bonnet opening the only way round it was to start again with a new body - in which case I might as well have made it a lot easier by scratchbuilding a chassis at the same time (or use a suitable Mardave or Shumacher chassis, which is still an option), but either way I didn't need the body or chassis any more, hence ...

3 -

... I've salvaged the useful bits from the chassis (electrics, bearings, the CVA shocks I added) & the rest has already gone for recycling/landfill...

... and the bins were emptied on Monday.

:( / :)

My M chassis builds 8 years 6 months ago #35742

• Dam
  • Anytime Baby!
  • Anytime Baby!
Bummer :unsure:

My M chassis builds 5 years 8 months ago #51262

I was sure I'd already started a thread on this, but I can't find it ... anyway, I bought a Gen.1 Mini kit on the M-03L chassis, NIB complete with MSC, with the plan of making it look a bit like my 1:1 Gen.2 Mini.

Started on the shell today, cutting out & sanding the edges of the shell, washing, and starting on the paint by masking up for the black bits; I cut the window masks smaller (especially the rear sides), and also extended the bit forward of the front windscreen ... not quite as tedious as masking for a boxart Scorcher, but still took a disproportionate number of hours...

Black airbrushed on & masking partially peeled for the green (also applied the grille masks):

20 parts PC17 Metallic Green + 8 parts PC5 Black (+ 28 parts x20A thinner) make a reasonable version of Metallic British Racing Green #4 (+ more masking taken off ready for spraying the roof white):

Will look better with the overspray film removed, but I'm quite happy with the spangliness
:y:

:)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

My M chassis builds 5 years 8 months ago #51264

My daughter bought herself a 1:1mini cooper but with the red pack. Flam red, roof and mirrors in white. Cooper s rims. A very attractive car and funny to drive. Only leather seats are very ugly.

My M chassis builds 5 years 8 months ago #51276

I can vouch for the 1:1 Minis, I own a 2006/7 R50 Cooper Checkmate and it's just great to drive. I have the Recaro seats, so I don't have to look at those ugly standard ones :laugh:

This 1:10 Mini-build is not what we usually see from Jonny. I'll keep an eye on how the transformation from Gen.2 to Gen.1 goes. Looking great so far!
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

My M chassis builds 5 years 8 months ago #51277

TBH there's not a whole lot I can do - I've extended the black portion in front of the windscreen & will omit the stickers there, other than that I'll omit the "chrome" "bumper" stickers & move the centre brake light from the roof to the rear screen, and do something to turn the lowest front grille from mesh to slat ... + possibly make my own front & rear fog lights.

Doing it "properly" is more work than I care for, that would mean taking a plaster cast of the inside of the shell & resculpting it (including doing something about the bizarre extra lines across the bonnet, rear quarters & roof that aren't present on any Mini model AFAIK, then making my own vacforming machine to pull a new shell ... and even then it'd still only be a vacformed body. I just don't like polycarbonate, and you can't get the detail on ABS :(

By the time I've put stripes and a flag on this, it'll be the "same" as my 1:1 car to casual observers and that's good enough for me :y: :)
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut

My M chassis builds 5 years 8 months ago #51333

Roof sprayed white & backed with silver (as same time as doing the grille), window masks peeled & smoke sprayed - 3 coats looks very dark from the outside, but it needed that many to get an even tone.

Some of the edges are far from perfect, but that's what decals are for :whistle:

Note the horseshoe shaped deformation in the roof, there are smaller ones in the front and rear screens too, one each side. My guess, sitting too long, loaded with the sprues & parts bags, in a loft getting too hot :(

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

My M chassis builds 5 years 8 months ago #51335

Very nice result. Very dark green. I love it.

My M chassis builds 5 years 3 months ago #53589

I fully intended to finish this as a Christmas build, but some new pills are really affecting my ability to do anything much, this is all I've got done so far:

However, in the small novella of side effects, interest in activities is supposed to return after 6 to 8 weeks ... part way through week 7, I felt like peeling the roof portion of the shell and having a go at the flag:

:)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Manotas, stingray-63, Al

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.