Keyword

TOPIC:

My M chassis builds 3 years 7 months ago #61756

I didn't want to use a big chassis so looked for an RWD M- type, the best value complete one I found was a new Kharmann Ghia, but TBH it seemd a shame to sacrifice one, I was fortunate enough to spot a chassis "kit" (everything except the wheels/tyres/ESC/body) on ebay.

This (well, "these" as there is one per side) are the most critical parts as they keep the tracks flat rather than spinning like a wheel. I'm not sure if that is wear or poorly executed modification, but I needed to make some that fit the M-06 rear uprights - hence the Cardboard Aided Design.

I made the basic discs on my "big" lathe & after drilling, could clamp a (modified) original fitting & the CAD piece to mark where the notches needed to be. Nylon 66 is surprisingly slippery to file, I had to use a combination of drill, Dremel & scalpel to make the notches.

This is one fitted, it has a minimum of four points of contact in either direction (not that it should rotate at all) instead of two on the original.

This is progress so far - lots of bodywork required.

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Please Log in to join the conversation.

My M chassis builds 3 years 7 months ago #61763

OOOOOHHH MY GOD!
A half track or the 1926 chenillette Citroën. I can't wait to see this creation. I am too happy. Let's go Jonny. <3

My M chassis builds 3 years 7 months ago #61768

Awesome!

I vote for the first picks of the vintage vehicles.

Or you can build a Grandmother Duck Fort T :)

My M chassis builds 3 years 7 months ago #61769

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
This should be interesting.
I’m looking forward to seeing the body work on this.
Another great challenge.

My M chassis builds 3 years 6 months ago #62121

Everything is taking much longer than it should at the moment, but I have made some progress on this.

The load bed position/dimensions and the same for the bonnet will be dictated by the side of the cab - and that's determined by the space required for the seated driver.

I've used a stock Wild Willy figure with the belts removed; I put my templates for the sides of a suitable DIY seat somewhere "safe" and of course I'm now completely unable to find them :whistle:

I made some profiles using an edge finder pin block, thin card & tape, scanned that in & drew new templates - and did the same for the 4x4 driver seat profile before I lost that too.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

My M chassis builds 3 years 6 months ago #62131

I spotted these wheels on eBay a few weeks ago, the chrome is stupid & the badly applied green tint ugly - and I really dislike the fake bolts on the rim - but they did have the potential to be a much better representation of the "wrong" wheels on my 1:1 Mini, rather than the "correct" kit wheels ...

Removing the plating in cuastic soda ...

Stripped, and the nasty rim details turned off:

Adding a new, smaller rim (two layers of 1mm styrene):

Lathe setup for turning the new rim back to shape:

Back from the shed after primer, "aluminium" coat & clear:

Old outer rim painted rubber black & tyres fitted :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, Edou, stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

My M chassis builds 3 years 6 months ago #62138

I love those seats :y:

One of my favorite old school Recaro retrimms I saw online was a pattern like that, maybe a tad wider at each sausage if you can call them that.

And like you, I can't seem to find my templates lately.
I need to make another seat in my Rod project.

Great progress!
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

My M chassis builds 3 years 6 months ago #62145

I don't know how Jonny does to do these parts. Same seats on my tribute baja are similares to the originals.
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

My M chassis builds 3 years 6 months ago #62167

Sausages?

:D
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

My M chassis builds 3 years 6 months ago #62168

I don't have any step by step pics of "SLB" front seats but it was the same process - profiles to fit the driver, strips across those profiles, sides sticking out a bit further, top, back & supports fitted, plus in that adding head restraints :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, Edou, stingray-63

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.