Keyword

TOPIC:

My M chassis builds 1 year 3 months ago #73754

A very light tickle with a Dremel sanding drum took care of the slight irregularities in the lines of the wheelarch cut outs, and a pass with some used 400 grit paper on an eraser finished the cut edges. On with the windows masks on the inside, tape to close the holes on the outside, cleaning twice with lens wipes & it was ready for paint.   

The bodywork is supposed to be PS-32 Corsa Grey according to the instruction sheet, I’ve used that before (on an NSU TT, backed with PS Purple) & it would probably look quite good – but nothing like the blue of the box art. Despite my liking for sky blue, I’d decided to do it in orange instead.

The weather here has gone from sub zero for the last week to a forecast of warmer and a lot wetter, so that really means doing it indoors. As the body mount holes were pre-cut there was not real point in using glue on magnetic mounts, so the indifferent bound from Pro-Line R?C Body Paints wouldn’t be an issue. It looked about right in the bottle, and brush painting some on a test piece gave a nice shade.

Airbrushing the first coat on straight from the bottle gave an opacity akin to Kia-Ora when your mum was on an economy drive, so I went straight on to a second coat. The struggle with gumming up – despite a lot of fiddling, a little thinning, and increasing air pressure – became too much towards the end so a full breakdown & clean out was required before going any further. 

I swapped out the 0.2mm nozzle set for the 0.4mm size, and the third coat went on much, much better, although I think it’s going to be brighter than I want, so I will back it with …something to bring it back a touch. My first thought was to do it a muted blue/grey, grey/green, grey, or at least some sort of muted shade, but I’ve done that on a lot of Lexan bodied M-chassis cars & wanted something with a bit more punch this time. The more I look at it though, the more I think I made an error…   

It’s had 4 coats now (not shown), I’d like to think just one more of orange, hopefully put on tonight, would be enough & I could get the back colour on tomorrow. I seem to remember the Aluminium being very thin, perhaps red would be a better idea …

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, Lemsko, GToddC5

Please Log in to join the conversation.

My M chassis builds 1 year 3 months ago #73758

I used a 0,6 nozzel for my beetle body ( first orange and after metal red) on the now m05 custom.  You could do a jean limited edition of the beetle.
I love this body. 
The following user(s) Liked this: Lemsko

My M chassis builds 1 year 3 months ago #73860

Paint looked a lot better after the 4th & 5th coat, the red backing (2 coats) didn't change the colour that much, but did make the shape look a bit more defined. It still looks like an injection moulded bucket to me, but at least it doesn't look like a cheap one :P

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Lemsko, Ducksnuts

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

My M chassis builds 1 year 3 months ago #73864

It's like a jean limited edition.

My M chassis builds 1 year 3 months ago #73865

Are there headlights for the beetle you can fit with LEDs? The classic 70ies orange looks really nice.

My M chassis builds 1 year 3 months ago #73867

No there are no light buckets on the beetle like the fiat berlina corsa.

My M chassis builds 1 year 3 months ago #73868

too bad, then i will have to make them myself.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

My M chassis builds 1 year 3 months ago #73869

The screw is in the middle of the lens.

My M chassis builds 1 year 3 months ago #73870

Who needs screws if you have shoe glue
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

My M chassis builds 1 year 3 months ago #73871

Jonny you didn't have sticking problems with the beetle decals? I used 2 stickers set on my beetle the rallye one and the classic ones, and they don't stick well.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.