Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Project brushless Monster Beetle 11 years 9 months ago #12295

Really great job on the light brackets! Very inventive how you used a bit of sprue tree. :blink: :y:
Cool exhaust as well - I could easily imagine that VW engine being suped up like they did on the 911s... ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Project brushless Monster Beetle 11 years 9 months ago #12301

I really like the exhaust idea it improves the plain look of the rear bumper :y:

Re: Project brushless Monster Beetle 11 years 8 months ago #12462

The new custom re-release bodyshell. It has taken all of my spare time over the last few weeks to complete this shell, even to the point where other areas of my life (sleep!!)were beginning to suffer. Although it is not perfect I am very proud of the end result and truely believe it is the best I can do with my current modelling skills. I quite like the colour and the decals too.

Unfortunately no photos, but here is a breakdown:-
I began with a re-release Sand Scorcher body kit and filled the unnecessary holes using the soldering iron and plastic sprue technique. There were two in the roof, one in the bonnet and two mirror mounting holes. The front bonnet pin hole needed to be filled as the MB pin is further back than the SS pin. I was tempted to leave the mirror holes and fit the side mirrors but I felt the square mirrors did not suit the curved beetle shape. No putty was used, just fill, file, sand, fill, file, sand, etc until the holes were gone. Most of the holes are now invisible except for the morror holes as I had a lot of trouble working in the tight corner created by the quarter vents and body mouldings. Next the holes for the MB body posts were drilled in the correct place. The ugly plastic casting marks in the mudgaurds and a few ripples in the body were smoothed.
The nosecone is a Blitzer Beetle item which I decided to use just to be different. Plastic tabs for the driving lights were attached using my MB nosecone repair technique.
Everything was then undercoated so the orange nosecone would be a closer colour match to the rest of the body parts. The top coat is Tamiya PS-20 metallic green. I had a small mishap while painting the body so I had to sand part of it back and paint the body again.
Decals are Blitzer Beetle with a few Sand Scorcher ones thrown in.
Finally I brush painted the window frames, quarter vents and tail-lights.
While the body was being prepared I also prettied up the chassis with some new tyres and anodised green wheel nuts.

Today I took the car to the park for a few photos and a drive. I gave the car a squirt to get mobile and it done a massive wheelstand and rolled a few times. I kacked my daks, it had never done this before. Today the car just wanted to wheelstand at every opportunity just like my Midnight Pumpkin. I was a completely different beast. This would be because of the new pin-spike tyres, it must have been nearly constantly wheel-spinning before. I could not keep the front wheels on the ground or the car upright. I had rolled the car a few times and given its rear a hiding so I chose to end the drive early. Casualties are the exaust system, rear numberplate and numberplate shroud. Thankfully the main bodyshell survived unscathed thanks to the soft grass surface and severe unbelieveable good luck.

... but I can't help thinking a 23T brushed motor is a much better balance between going fast & not breaking too much :(

What can I say? My choices are between re-fitting the old worn-out tyres, fitting a much smaller brushless motor(still probably enough torque to regularly sit the car on its bum) or ditching the brushless setup in favor of a more suitable brushed set-up. Over the last few months this car has progressed from a basher assembled out of leftover parts into a nice car in its own right, and I want it to live. I have a Technigold and a 23T RZ superstock sitting around and my brother has some sport-tuned's he won't be needing for a while. One of these should be ideal. :)
Attachments:

Re: Project brushless Monster Beetle 11 years 8 months ago #12463

Looks great :y:

Re the motor - is it worth looking at the punch and/or timing settings to try & tame it a bit? Or maybe fit a wheelie bar :)

Re: Project brushless Monster Beetle 11 years 8 months ago #12465

Looks great :y:

Re the motor - is it worth looking at the punch and/or timing settings to try & tame it a bit? Or maybe fit a wheelie bar :)

I don't think so, it needs more than just a bit of taming. I suppose a wheelie bar would help protect the rear of the car though.. :y:

Last edit: by larbut.

Re: Project brushless Monster Beetle 11 years 8 months ago #12481

Nice green body! I like the detailing and the decals.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: Project brushless Monster Beetle 11 years 8 months ago #12746

Wow! It must be a monster! My Blackfoot will wheelstand at the slightest provacation with just a Sport Tuned black motor! Turning at speed even with tuned monster beetle cva shocks is best to slow sweepers or powerslides at a ball field :)

Re: Project brushless Monster Beetle 11 years 8 months ago #12749

vara351, I like what you did with the Blitzer Beetle decals. As genuine Monster Beetle decals are hard to find for a reasonable price these days, I think I could take a similar approach with my Bush Devil-based Monster Beetle project.
Runner: Sand Viper , Mad Bull , BMW Z4 Hatsune Miku , Kyosho Sandmaster EZ
Project: Hot Shot, Holiday Buggy 2010 (narrowed), Monster Beetle, Super Fighter G, MINI Cooper S 2006
Retired: The Hornet
Still NIB: King Blackfoot

Re: Project brushless Monster Beetle 11 years 7 months ago #13230

Update.. I did try playing with the timing and the punch levels of the brushless setup to no avail. The car is now fitted with a 23T Super Stock RZ brushed motor and I am liking it alot. Still stupid fast but much more controllable. Wheelstands and power slides are still available on request while the savage torque hit has been smoothed. I had intended on trying a few different motors but I think this one will stay for a while. It is a nice looking motor too.

Attachments:

Last edit: by vara351.

Re: Project brushless Monster Beetle 11 years 7 months ago #13231

... I think I could take a similar approach with my Bush Devil-based Monster Beetle project.

Sounds great, I would love to see some progress pics of the Bush Devil Beetle. You just may build the first Monster Beetle with reasonable suspension!!

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.