Keyword

TOPIC:

Monster Beetle Rebuild 10 years 10 months ago #22116

Thanks JR i already have some of that so will give that a whirl tonight and test it tomorrow :y:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Monster Beetle Rebuild 10 years 10 months ago #22142

I have managed to source 80% of the parts i need for this rebuild from a local guy off the internet luckily i only need a few bits now really small stuff. I was wondering if anybody had one of these battery stops they might sell me? red or grey doesnt really matter but undamaged if possible. Thanks in advance. Rebuilt the gearbox tonight and put new ball races in. starting to look like a car again now :)

Attachments:

Monster Beetle Rebuild 10 years 10 months ago #22146

I was wondering if anybody had one of these battery stops they might sell me? red or grey doesnt really matter but undamaged if possible. Thanks in advance.

Hi Tamiya Nut,

I might have those battery stoppers in red. Send me a PM with your address and i'll send them to you ;)
Manotas
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
The following user(s) Liked this: tamiya nut

Monster Beetle Rebuild 10 years 10 months ago #22204

I got a bunch of spare parts after I finished my Shelf Queen. Let me know what you need.

Monster Beetle Rebuild 10 years 10 months ago #22224

Thanks for the offer i have most of what i need its had a transplant from another car i found locally it has had a ridiculous amount of replacement parts added to it but its starting to look like a complete chassis again now. The only parts i need now are the two small rear suspension mounts that screw to the chassis (but i was thinking about alloy replacements anyway as they seem to be a weak spot) a nice set of rims as the originals had been glued and tyres. then i can start on the bodywork properly and repainting then adding some good repro decals i have had a tip on.

Monster Beetle Rebuild 10 years 10 months ago #22236

I think for £40 for a white body Monster Beetle including Radio and a Technigold motor, you got a bargain, despite the issues :)

I wondered about the Des-Ol-vit graffiti remover , does it soften the bodyshell or make it brittle afterwards ? I have a white MB body painted silver and want to restore it to red, would it be a good idea to try the grafitti remover ? If so , how much is it and where is it obtainable from ?

many thanks

Peter

Monster Beetle Rebuild 10 years 10 months ago #22237

If so , how much is it and where is it obtainable from ?

many thanks

Peter

I think it does soften the plastic a bit, but it hardens up again once dry.
If you're in the UK, get it from Screwfix - about a tenner I think.

Monster Beetle Rebuild 10 years 10 months ago #22241

The body does soften very very slightly during the paint removal stage just dont get too vigorous with the rubbing (a toothbrush is best applied in a light brushing action) or you can remove some of the detailing but i have never had any problems in this area. once you have finished rinsing in cold water leave it for at least 24 hours and the body re-hardens then its ok to paint. i have yet to find an easier method of paint removal it is excellent stuff and can be bought from screwfix for around a tenner :y:

Monster Beetle Rebuild 10 years 10 months ago #22258

i have yet to find an easier method of paint removal it is excellent stuff and can be bought from screwfix for around a tenner :y:

Try with Brake fluid (DOT 3 or DOT4). I've gor excellent results with ABS bodies and even surprising good ones with Polycarbonate ones.
Actually the result is excellent (depending on what paint you're removing) but it takes a bit longer than Des-Olv-it and it won't get your body soft.
Good luck !

Manotas
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family

Monster Beetle Rebuild 10 years 10 months ago #22263

:) You can use oven cleaner spray too. :side:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.