Keyword

TOPIC:

My resurrected Tamiya 58009 Celica GR.5 Turbo 10 years 8 months ago #24668

Hi, I promised to post some pictures of my newly resurrected Celica. It has been through 7 moves and sat dormant in the attick for over 15 yrs. It was last used around 1987. The local hobby shop could not come up with a pinion gear to fit it at the time so I retired it. Little did I know it was a 48 metric pitch (module 06) gear which are quite abundant. I swapped out my worn out one for a 19 tooth Tamiya AV gear. Same gear that fits my TL-01 chassis.

We did a shakedown run with it to make sure my body repairs would hold up. It was broken up in a few places from a bad mishap that occurred during a mechanical speed control failure many years ago. Nothing broke loose. I used some 5 minute epoxy made just for plastics by duro and some glass matt. Body is strong as new, just needs to be smoothed out a bit and painted. I hope to have it finished by end of October. It was quite amazing watching my son wheel this car around, he is almost the same age I was when I got it so many years ago. He wants the newer 1/10 version for his own.

plus.google.com...7597765753
lh6.googleuserc...capass.jpg

lh6.googleuserc...yarear.jpg
lh3.googleuserc...owltop.jpg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by goldduster360.

My resurrected Tamiya 58009 Celica GR.5 Turbo 10 years 8 months ago #24669

:woohoo: nice :y:
The following user(s) Liked this: goldduster360

My resurrected Tamiya 58009 Celica GR.5 Turbo 10 years 8 months ago #24689

The car looks nice, even whitout the spoiler and decals.

Maybe those are still at the attic :silly:

And yes! do buy a new version for your son!!

My resurrected Tamiya 58009 Celica GR.5 Turbo 10 years 8 months ago #24693

I wish that stuff was still in the attic. The original decals were never used, the car looked so good in the buff I never wanted to dirty up with those things. Sadly, the side windows, driver, wiper, mirrors and original decals were tossed along with the original box about 15yrs ago during a move. Oh well, maybe I can scan the 1/10 decals and print out a 1/12 scale version.

I did some body work on it last night, will get some pics posted later this week showing the progress. I plan on scratch building the side windows from some .015"ish plastic sheet and need to make one new spoiler mount which is missing. I found some Tamiya F1 tires that on paper are practically identical to the dimensions of the rears (55X40 with a 35mm center), only 1mm smaller on inside diameter than original which should press fit nicely on original rims. Anyone had any luck fitting the RM-01 fronts to the 58009 fronts?, dimensions look very close on the fronts.

My resurrected Tamiya 58009 Celica GR.5 Turbo 10 years 8 months ago #24701

... Anyone had any luck fitting the RM-01 fronts to the 58009 fronts?, dimensions look very close on the fronts.

I have on my Renault Martini Mk22, and this should be the same
www.tamiyabase....Itemid=585
its how I plan to run all my vintage cars of this type,
regards
Johann

My resurrected Tamiya 58009 Celica GR.5 Turbo 10 years 8 months ago #24708

Those look good. Will the rm tires fit the original Renault rims?

My resurrected Tamiya 58009 Celica GR.5 Turbo 10 years 8 months ago #24709

Those look good. Will the rm tires fit the original Renault rims?

unfortunately not, but that was the best I could come up with. Rear foam rims might work though. I think at this stage you might have to modify the rims to make them look the part,
regards
Johann

My resurrected Tamiya 58009 Celica GR.5 Turbo 10 years 7 months ago #25031

Close up of cowl repair, getting close to paint worthy!
plus.google.com...7597765753

My resurrected Tamiya 58009 Celica GR.5 Turbo 10 years 7 months ago #25033

nice repair work, just like a real bodyshop

My resurrected Tamiya 58009 Celica GR.5 Turbo 10 years 7 months ago #25305

I have most of the repairs complete and started looking at paints for the topcoat. I sampled some krylon true blue and wally world spray paint in royal blue and don't care much for the color match to the original molded blue body color. Plus Krylon is not really lacquer anymore and the walmart paint took forever to dry and is also enamel. It would work but this old model deserves better.

I looked at Tamiya TS-15 blue lacquer spray(only 3 ounces) and it looks like it would be the same hue. I am also suspicious one can may not be enough at only 3 ounces. The frugal side of me wants to find a good match in a can of duplicolor at the auto parts store. Any suggestions? It's been twenty five years since I spray painted any model cars.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds