Keyword

TOPIC:

My resurrected Tamiya 58009 Celica GR.5 Turbo 10 years 7 months ago #25316

I have most of the repairs complete and started looking at paints for the topcoat. I sampled some krylon true blue and wally world spray paint in royal blue and don't care much for the color match to the original molded blue body color. Plus Krylon is not really lacquer anymore and the walmart paint took forever to dry and is also enamel. It would work but this old model deserves better.

I looked at Tamiya TS-15 blue lacquer spray(only 3 ounces) and it looks like it would be the same hue. I am also suspicious one can may not be enough at only 3 ounces. The frugal side of me wants to find a good match in a can of duplicolor at the auto parts store. Any suggestions? It's been twenty five years since I spray painted any model cars.

TS-44 Brilliant Blue might be a better match to what you're looking for.

I guess it depends on what you regard as being the "correct" colour for the car, the blue it's moulded in, the blue it looks like on the box, the blue the 1:1 car is, the colour specified in the manual or the blue equivalent to the one that would have been available at the time (where it's not specified in the manual), etc etc.

Personally I'd never regard the moulded colour as correct, whatever the car (later Monster Beetle, Blitzer Beetle, FAV, Grasshopper & so on). Tamiya Boxart drawings (though excellent) are not a great indication of what the colour should be - red Sand Rover (should be orange), black Pajero MTW ("should" be blue), Orange Rough Rider, etc.

Looking at images of the 1:1 car (& diecast models) it looks like it should be a darker shade (maybe Tamiya TS-51 Racing Blue).

I've only ever bought one can of Tamiya TS paint - it's very high quality paint & has a very high pigment content so a little goes a long way - I think you'd get at least two light coats on inside & out + one further heavy coat on the outside on a body that size.

Personally I'd find out what blue colours you can get in the Duplicolor range then do a google image search to see what they look like in the flesh.

:)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

My resurrected Tamiya 58009 Celica GR.5 Turbo 10 years 7 months ago #25317

Thanx Johnny, I will look at the brilliant blue. I suspected the molded color was never correct but that is the only way I can picture this model since I have had it since I was twelve. Looks like the real car was more of a royal blue than the brighter almost purplish hue of the plastic body. I have seen several images of this model and none of them appear to be the same color either due to lighting, age of picture, artist rendition etc.

In the end, I guess it's whatever blue you want it to be.

Edited in:

I found this cool write up about adapting an original 58009 body to a later chassis and it shows allot of color comparisons, real car versus the model too. Model looks great but does not look to be the same hue as the real one.

www.blackholesu...ica_US.php

Last edit: by goldduster360.

My resurrected Tamiya 58009 Celica GR.5 Turbo 9 years 11 months ago #28960

Finally got it painted,

plus.google.com...2387744777

My resurrected Tamiya 58009 Celica GR.5 Turbo 9 years 11 months ago #28973

Finally got it painted,

Link just takes me to a Google login screen :(

My resurrected Tamiya 58009 Celica GR.5 Turbo 9 years 11 months ago #28974

Finally got it painted,

Link just takes me to a Google login screen :(

me too

My resurrected Tamiya 58009 Celica GR.5 Turbo 9 years 11 months ago #28978

a google login means you need a google plus account to view it. I could see the image page but it wouldn't preview for me, but I think that my have been to do with my internet connection at the time,

My resurrected Tamiya 58009 Celica GR.5 Turbo 9 years 11 months ago #28979

a google login means you need a google plus account to view it. I could see the image page but it wouldn't preview for me, but I think that my have been to do with my internet connection at the time,

not internet, did the same for me :blink:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

My resurrected Tamiya 58009 Celica GR.5 Turbo 9 years 11 months ago #28984

Last edit: by goldduster360.

My resurrected Tamiya 58009 Celica GR.5 Turbo 9 years 11 months ago #28985

Fixed it?

plus.google.com...6P_A_c2maA

Nope. I have a Google account and I just see a blank screen after logging in.
Privicy settings maybe?

My resurrected Tamiya 58009 Celica GR.5 Turbo 9 years 11 months ago #28995

:angry: nothing for me too

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds