Keyword

TOPIC:

Tamiya Bigwig Steering Issues 9 years 11 months ago #29096

Usually, motor stutter (Or refusing to reverse etc) is down to the brushes sticking in their holders (With dirt/oily goo), but loose wires, dirty connectors & even shorts caused by frayed wire ends can also cause it. Might not be the motor though....

Have you checked your receiver on/off switch (& cleanliness/security/condition of the plug on it)? - they do have a habit of dulling their contacts if left laying around unused for years, particularly if they've ever been wet. A clue will be if you also loose your steering when the motor stops.... in fact, does the motor play up when your steering is having issues? - I wonder if your jammed steering is making the steering servo pull to much current & making the receiver/ESC BEC shut down (Not as daft as it sounds - my TXT thing does that)

Thanks for these suggestions Eddrick.

Ok, the steering issue is defo mechanical, not servo or electrical. I've already swapped out the steering servo and the one that went in is strong, and runs properly (tested seperately prior to fitting also) - it's the friction grab and lack of flex in the boots that's the issue for this....

In terms of the ESC - it's an LRP Runner (third one), and none of them have an on/off switch. The receiver is a bog standard Acoms ARC-227 receiver, the older one with the cables to plug the various elements into, rather than cable slots in the receiver itself, which is there as it's period correct. Again, this doesn't have an on/off switch either. I'll double check, but I'm confident that I don't lose steering when the motor cuts.

In terms of the motor - it defo doesn't refuse to reverse. It simply stops throttling (forward) and the buggy just stops. Pressing the stick forward at this point has no effect at all and the buggy won't begin to move again until it's been put into reverse, for at least a fraction of a second (so that it just slightly jumps), and then it will move forward again until the next time it just stops. I only tap it into reverse as I actually want it to go forward. At the point that it stops, if I continued reversing with the stick, it would, I just don't want it to - hence tapping it quickly to get what I want - i.e. for the little bugger to move forwards again! It's kind of like the buggy needs to be reset somehow by tapping the reverse, which is why I thought initially the ESC was struggling to cope with the motor.

I think the next move to make is swap out the motor and see if it continues - will get this done over the weekend and hopefully, we'll at least have identified the source of the problem. Will also drill the rubber boots to reduce the friction grab on the steering arms. Anyone experimented with Vaseline to make things (on R/C) more slippery?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Tamiya Bigwig Steering Issues 9 years 11 months ago #29098

;) GOOD idea Edo!
I am not a pro of the technigold. I have just one on my avante and had never dismantle it. I don't know if it is still working :blush:

Tamiya Bigwig Steering Issues 9 years 11 months ago #29104

Sounds to me like the ESC isn't set up right for that transmitter, possibly the set throttle span is going "over-range" on that particular transmitter - I know the LRP AI won't talk properly to the old AP427 4ch trannies (Doesn't know what's forwards & what's backwards, & gets in a right flap about it).
When the car stops, let the throttle go back to neutral (Not reverse) then prod it again - does it go again? - if so, it might be that you've got reverse & forwards set up back-to-front on the ESC.

Another thing to try - does the car keep going if you only use say 3/4 of the throttle? (ie it only plays up when you give it full throttle) - again, this will be down to ESC setup on that particular tranny (Also check your 50/50 vs 70/30 trim lever is set to 50/50 if it's got one)

Try setting up the ESC again -
make sure your servo-reverse switches are set to "normal" before you start,
then check the transmitter driving direction setting when you've finished setting the ESC up, by going forward & immediately reverse - it should brake, pause, then either wait for you to press reverse again to reverse, or go into reverse after a brief pause.
If it immediately goes from forwards to backwards with no braking or pause, &/or you're getting the pause when you're going from backwards to forwards, you need to set the servo-reverse switch to "reverse" then swap the motor wires to get the motor running forward again

Tamiya Bigwig Steering Issues 9 years 11 months ago #29105

Oh, & check to see if your motor is only cutting out when you're trying to steer -
the mechanical binding can make the servo pull more current, & it's possible this extra current drain is exceeding the ESC BEC chip rating, making the ESC shut down

Tamiya Bigwig Steering Issues 9 years 11 months ago #29113

All great shouts - thanks Eddrick. Will experiment over the weekend and report back!

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds