Keyword

TOPIC:

58016 VW Sand Scorcher - Complete resto 12 years 8 months ago #2112

Hello everybody, worldwide.
A little (more..) about me:
As I wrote on the introtread: I have no experience w RC whatsoever! I have years of experience w Tamiy, building 1:35 scale models, but that's it.
Being a VW - enthusiast, I am very happy to have aquired my Sand Scorcher. However, it is in for some major cleansing and repair:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: 58016 VW Sand Scorcher - Complete resto 12 years 8 months ago #2113

The first step will be to clean the body, chassis and its parts. From there on, I'll have to figure out what parts that needs to be replaced, and what parts are missing.

I'm not sure if the pics in my last post comes up all-right, but if they do I'll be very grateful for tips and advice.

WR

Tarjei

Re: 58016 VW Sand Scorcher - Complete resto 12 years 8 months ago #2114

Tarjei,
Your images ar now shown as "attachments".
You can iunclude them in the post by clicking the "Insert" button for each attachment when editing the post.
"Insert" appears after "Add File" and "Remove File" at the bottom of the editor.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Last edit: by larbut.

Re: 58016 VW Sand Scorcher - Complete resto 12 years 8 months ago #2115

Regarding the resto: I really look forward to following your progress. :)
The SRB's are good fun to restore, although the pot metal parts may be hard to clean.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: 58016 VW Sand Scorcher - Complete resto 12 years 8 months ago #2117

Thanks Lars :-). Duly noted.

Re: 58016 VW Sand Scorcher - Complete resto 12 years 8 months ago #2118

great car to start your collection with :)

Last edit: by tamiya nut.

Re: 58016 VW Sand Scorcher - Complete resto 12 years 8 months ago #2131

Thanks Tamiya Nut! :-)

Here's how I plan to start:

1. Get a good overview of the vehicle. Then dismantle the entire thing, down to last nut and bolt where necessary, according (in reverse) to the downloaded manual. This will hopefully give me an idea of where to start in regard to what parts are missing, and which parts that need replacement.

2. Cleaning and lubricating. Cleaning all parts, remove rust. The environment it has been stored in has resulted in some rust, so some screws, nuts and bolts need cleaning or replacement.

3. List of neccessary parts. Hopefully NOS-parts are available for a reasonable price. I already identified needed bodyparts on e-bay.

4. Bodyshell
Straightforward cleaning, removing of decals, sanding down old paint, and creases from the factorymolding of the body. Priming and re-paint.
The fun part is decoration of the body. It's either according to the one on the original box, or MOC-scheme.

I expect trouble wr to electricals, and setup, but my intention is to rely on the manual. Hints and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Re: 58016 VW Sand Scorcher - Complete resto 12 years 8 months ago #2142

Disassembly and cleaning started today.
Body:
Disassembling body, and removal of all decals.
Missing parts:
- One rear light
- Rear licenceplate
- One doorhandle
- Both mirrors
- Sunroof hatch
- Wipers
- Figure, steeringwheel, bracket for figure
Checked e-bay, and as far as I can understand the P-parts from the 2010-reissue will fit.
Chassis:
Front suspension unit
- Wheels are gone, thoroughly so! E-bay offers a complete set of wheels w tires and necessary screws for approx 40 USD.

- Ballplates are worn out, according to last owner the ball-joint comes out of socket while driving. I presume that is due to a worn out ballplate. Are these interchangeble with the 2010-reissue modell?

- Shocks. Does the shocks have any function at all, or are they just for the looks? If any function mine are worn out. Bushings in damper

Re: 58016 VW Sand Scorcher - Complete resto 12 years 8 months ago #2143

When it comes to decorating the body, I'm a little unsure of which path to go. Real Baja-bugs for racing tend to be battered, and often has hapazardly cut fenders etc. The Bajas used by more "civil" people tend to be more styled, and have more quality to the finishing.

Of course a race-style buggys looks cool, and I definitely like it to look that way, but somehow it's more a "show-of fantasy finish" if I decide to make a Gulf-logo type Baja, w numericals on the sides. Wonder - wonder......

Re: 58016 VW Sand Scorcher - Complete resto 12 years 8 months ago #2145

Man you've got a lot of work in front of you. But I wish I had that work, I love the striping and cleaning phase of a rebuild. Can't wait for more...
The following user(s) Liked this: Tarjei

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.