Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: 58016 VW Sand Scorcher - Complete resto 12 years 8 months ago #2336

Thanks Jonny, looks like I'll replace the to I have in favour of a Humpback!

Busy day. Sanding, scraping and sanding. The result is rewarding, though! Nice and smooth surfaces, and soon ready for the first coat of primer. I expect that will reveal where it needs putty, and more sanding.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: 58016 VW Sand Scorcher - Complete resto 12 years 8 months ago #2338

Thanks Jonny!

Busy day with sanding, sanding, scraping and sanding! It's rewarding though! The finnish is getting smoth and nice, and I'm abuout ready to put on the firs coat of primer. That should reveal where I need to do some more sanding.

I finally got around to assemble the gearbox as well. Box was cleaned, cogs, shafts and bushings removed and cleaned as well.

At the end of the day, I'm quite satisfied w today's "work"! Motor will have to wait until tomorrow. A wire needs to be soldered onto the motor, as it is quite loose, and I suspect it will reduce performance.

Question:
What is the difference between the RS540SD motor compared to the motor issued with the original set? I have both, but I suspect the RS540SD is some kind of "performance"-motor in comparison. Comments?

Now I'm waiting for the new Mechbox, and will order a new hump-back battery, as well as paint, filler and a new rear guard. Then I should be finished with shopping for a while I hope.
The rear guard is sadly broken, and beyond repair I believe. I played with the thought of putting it toghether, but can't find strong enought substance to keep it together.

Then we'll call it a day!

Re: 58016 VW Sand Scorcher - Complete resto 12 years 8 months ago #2339

What is the difference between the RS540SD motor compared to the motor issued with the original set? I have both, but I suspect the RS540SD is some kind of "performance"-motor in comparison. Comments?

Check out Lars' motors page here ... the "SD" suffix was used on three motors, so depending on which one you have, the answer is "a few more rpm" (blue end plate), "quite a lot more rpm" (red end plate), or "bucketloads more torque & much higher rpm" (gold can & black end plate & endbell) :D

Edit - that is assuming it's a Tamiya motor ... the "black" motors are both a useful performance increase, but fairly mild, the "technipower" will be considerably more "Banzai!", but I don't think excessively so.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.