Keyword

TOPIC:

58016 Scorcher rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #2637

I have been looking out for an original Sand scorcher to restore and finally picked one up. It is a fantastic example as it has absolutely no damage to the body, not even scratches, and it had no parts missing except for one headlamp. It came with a lot of extra parts including the original manual. To my surprise, when I opened the manual, out fell the original sticker sheets, untouched and in perfect condition. I am going to use them on this car which will be box art but I cant help feeling bad about cutting them up. I'll keep posting pictures as I go with this one...
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: 58016 Scorcher rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #2638

Nice one :)

ps, have sent you a pm...

Re: 58016 Scorcher rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #2640

Thanks Jon, turns out my original stickers are not much good. Peeled back the backing paper and they are not sticky anymore. The glue seems to have gone off or something. Might try spraying the back with methylated spirits or something and try and reactivate the glue. Otherwise repo ones it will have to be.

Re: 58016 Scorcher rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #2655

Paint removed. Graffiti remover is definitely the way to go.
Attachments:

Re: 58016 Scorcher rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #2657

Wow - looks great! Almost need some sunglasses if I want to look at it now. B)
Definitely good stuff that graffiti remover! :cheer:

Re: 58016 Scorcher rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #2660

I wish I could get that Graffiti remover over here in South Africa... That stuff seems to work a treat.

Regarding your sticker issue, Try removing the sticker from the backing sheet. Cleaning the "sticky" side that is not sticky anymore with acetone or similar alcohol based solvents, and then cut out the stickers to their right sizes. Then spray the back with 3M spray adhesive. I used the craft mount, because it has a little more stick to it.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Louisbaby.

Re: 58016 Scorcher rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #2664

One more thing, the adhesive has a slight yellow color to it. I found if you use very little, and you apply it straight away, then use an old credit card or vinyl applicator and work the glue out to the sides, you can wipe away the excess glue with a rag. It took me a while to get it right, but necessity is the birth place of invention, and due to the high prices of getting things shipped to South Africa, I was prepared to try and get it right.

P.S. I tried this trick using Tamiya paint, and can't stress enough that you test the glue on some dried paint first.

Good Luck

Re: 58016 Scorcher rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #2668

Thanks for the advice, I hadn't thought of replacing the adhesiveB) I plan to paint it with automotive acryllic lacquer so glue should not affect it but I would paint a tin can or something with the same paint and use that as a tester. I already have repo stickers that are excellent but I might look around and see what options I have for glue. Thanks.
The following user(s) Liked this: Louisbaby

Re: 58016 Scorcher rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #2735

Undercoated and the driver painted.
Attachments:

Re: 58016 Scorcher rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #2740

Awesome job on the paint. The driver's eyes look psycho :blink: I'd be scared to death if I had to race him...:laugh:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.