Keyword

TOPIC:

Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 3 months ago #6499

Hi

I know its not vintage Tamiya exactly but i have picked up a toyota prerunner and its very dirty so needs a rebuild and clean but i cannot seem to locate a build manual for it? Does anyone know where i can locate one?

Someone has converted it to two wheel drive by removing the gear that links the four wheel drive shaft up so i need to locate a couple of parts too to convert it back.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by tamiya nut.

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 3 months ago #6501

Nice TA02. Very cool chassis. And the roots are vintage enough. ;)
Don't know a link to the appropriate manual but TA02s are very much the same.
Apart from the body, length of the suspension arms and maybe a ball diff as basic part or not...
You could even use the manual from the Manta Ray or Top Force for the gearboxes.
But here's a TA02 manual at least :

58164 Toyota Celica GT-Four

The prop joints you are looking for are an item shared by many models - it's used on any DF-01, TA01 or TA02.
Unfortunately I just gave my spares away...

Another option would be to put in a GPM main drive shaft.
They're not that expensive, it has all the parts you'll need and it's a great (very effective) hop up.

GPM silver alloy drive shaft at Asiatees

That's the only one they have in stock at the moment...

Edit - reading back, you're (obviously) not missing the prop joints but these :

eBay 50529 search

Got me going on the hop ups there. :pinch:

Anyway - it's the middle two on top...
Might have some of these but replacing all your gears with this item would be a good thing to do.
Your cars still has some aluminium gears (if I'm not mistaken) and this is all plastic - and a one piece spur. B)

But you may want to open the gearboxes (first) to see if nothing else is missing...
If the front is empty, you'll need a gear shaft and diff too. :S

Last edit: by Edou. Reason: Two posts merged

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 3 months ago #6503

If there's cups sticking out the front gearbox with dogbones connected to the wheels, the diff will (most likely) be present.
Then it would be nice if the other gear (counter) is also there... so only 50529 would suffice.
And possibly a bearing and clip... :whistle:

Attachments:

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 3 months ago #6504

Hi

I know its not vintage Tamiya exactly but i have picked up a toyota prerunner and its very dirty so needs a rebuild and clean but i cannot seem to locate a build manual for it? Does anyone know where i can locate one?

58136 Prerunner manual :)

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 3 months ago #6505

My posts reflect the level of my hands itching on a chassis like this very well. :lol:
And it brings out my manual and parts evolution nerdiness.
But I did find something interesting... that Tamiya switched to a one piece plastic spur with the 1st (58128) TA02.
The last TA01 (58125) had two pieces - although all plastic was around since the 58099 Skyline TA01 speed gears.

Curious about what gears are in this car exactly... :huh:
Looks like the idler gear in the rear gearbox remained aluminium until 1999.

Sorry about the blabber. :pinch:
Attachments:

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 3 months ago #6507

ah! the toyota prerunner :kiss: thats the TA02w everybody wants
not so common as the chevy and the f150

if you still got the gears with the aluminium parts I recomment to swap these for the full plastic ones, also ballbearings, a steel pinion (16T), aluminum motor mount and strenghtened drive shaft will do much good. all spares should be easy to get now with the re re release of the f-150

have fun rebuilding

ps if it is just the front counter gear u are missing might have one spare lying around somewhere.

Last edit: by waterbok.

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 3 months ago #6514

Wow what a great response thanks guys

I have opened both gearboxes up and they are complete but the rear wheel gearbox has had the idler gear assembly removed thus converting it to two wheel only. the gearboxes are filthy inside so this is going to have to be a complete strip down i think :(

Anyone have any of the parts required?

Thanks for the build manual link :)

This came with the bodyshell and it has only one crack at the rear luckily but someone has painted the inside with house paint!! But im glad as this should come off easier with the graffiti remover JR put me on to. Pics below:

Wheels where undamaged but scratched paint so ihave stripped the paint and will be repainting them tyres are all great with hardly any use at all.

Came with all radio gear thats as new. Not a bad deal for
Attachments:

Last edit: by tamiya nut.

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 3 months ago #6517

got an aluminium idler gear but wouldnt use that one, if you are handy you can have my front counter gear and modify it to fit the rear (cut of the one side and make the space for the bearing) got an axle and the endcaps to go with it too.

interesting paintjob ;)

from the colour of the spurgear you also need a new pinion.

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 3 months ago #6521

So if I understand it right, it was made into a FWD. :huh:
That's the last thing you'd expect... there should be an unused ball diff in the rear gearbox now.

Good deal for 30 big ones btw. :)

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 3 months ago #6523

So if I understand it right, it was made into a FWD. :huh:
That's the last thing you'd expect... ...

Rear engined, FWD car? That makes no sense at all :silly:

I think the only way that makes sense if you read "converted" as someone losing or breaking the idler gear ... which does look very familiar btw - 18 or so teeth, width greater than the diameter, 850 bearing in each end, short shaft running in end caps ... I'm sure I've seen the same gear in one of my cars, but I can't place it ATM :(

Edou - to narrow it down, as I know you're like a rat up a drainpipe about such things ;) :D - I'm thinking it might be shared with the TA03F and/or FF01 chassis? Could be wrong about that, it might even be the unused gear in the grasshopper family gear bag?

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.