Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 2 months ago #7837

Anyone have or know where i can get some suitable decal material for window stickers as i dont like the idea of having holes for windows cut in the shell.

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 2 months ago #7854

I thought I had a pic of my TA02 somewhere

Attachments:

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 2 months ago #7862

I like the Kamtec Beetle suggestion i think ill go down this route as its a cheaper option than the Tamiya unit and as you say will be a badword sight tougher as well which is good as this is definitely a runner and was rebuilt with that in mind (i never replaced the front bumper and a few parts that are slightly scratched underneath). Ill go for the ABS version but ill have to cut out the windows or create some window decals to stick over the top?? whats the situation with painting them or would you leave it the standard white it comes in?

Thanks JR

I'd definitely paint it - even if you want it white, I've left shells the colour they came in where it matched the boxart colours, but it always grates - it just looks like plastic, and therefore toylike :(

The styrene sheet used to vacform those shells is nominally the same as hard / injection moulded Tamiya bodies - it's not _quite) the same as it's a lot more flexible, so it's either less dense or has more plasticisers in it, but it's close enough to paint the same way (Tamiya TS paints, Humbrol or Halfords acrylics, or my favourite - Hycote acrylic - if you've got a branch of Wilco near you or don't mind getting paint mail order).

A "proper" job would be (having cut out the shell & drilled for bodymounts):

1 - wash with detergent to get any mould release spray/other contaminents off; note the way the water "beads" & runs off, even on a washed shell

2 - "key" with a fairly fine grade of wet & dry (800 or so) until it looks "flat"

3 - use several coats of "plastic" primer - red, grey or white depending on what colour coat(s) you'll be using

4 - very carefully, using 1200 or 2000 grit paper, wet, give the primer a bit of a tickle - don't go through it. In my experience, this step is key to amount of shine you get in the final result

5 - spray several light coats of your chosen colour - if using two colours (e.g. white & blue) spray the lighter colour first

6 - if you're doing a second colour, mask the body, spray light coats of the 2nd colour, then unmask

7 - apply decals, then clearcoat, then paint any details (window rubbers, etc). Or clearcoat, details, decals. I've done it both ways & TBH I'm still not sure which is best :unsure:

The "quick" way is just to do steps 1 & 2, then paint - you can even omit the keying, but don't ever omit the washing :)

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 2 months ago #7863

Anyone have or know where i can get some suitable decal material for window stickers as i dont like the idea of having holes for windows cut in the shell.

Thanks

I printed my own on the first incarnation of my Baja shell as I wanted a graduation ... didn't really work that well TBH:

You live & learn though, this is my most recent "stick on window" project:

Try this on eBay , I've bought from that seller with no problems - IIRC I used #26 Grey Metallic & #01 black :)
Attachments:

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 2 months ago #7880

Thanks JR ill definitely use your advice when it comes to painting i think ill use halfords paints as i have generally had good results with them in the past. i like the Cheetah windows and will probably follow this route only in black im going in to Chester today so may try Hobbycraft and see if i can pick some up failing that ill use the internet. Ill post some pics up when i have started it. I replaced the rear body mountings today as they had been chopped down to fit the toyota shell and i think where too short for a beetle shell so i have adapted some longer units to fit in anticipation of the new shell arriving. I can cut these down once the shell is cut and fit as they are currently very long.

Thanks for the help

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 2 months ago #8088

Quick update on this thread i received the Kamtec Baja shell today and have started to trim it down to fit the chassis. They are great value for money thanks JR for the tip :) I quite like the flared arches on it so dont want to cut them back too much and think i like it as its looking now but i have one problem.

I have managed to set the rear up to the height i wanted it but the front body mounts make the front sit too low and it catches the front tyres on full compression of the suspension and when on full turning lock. Currently the only option i have is to butcher the arches way back but i dont want to go down this route id rather heighten the ride a little. Its annoyingly only just too short :angry:

I was wondering if anyone has any longer body mounts to fit the front of this chassis? i have taken a pretty poor picture of the current ones if anyone wants to see how long they are.

Thanks in advance

Attachments:

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 2 months ago #8090

Only thing I can suggest is some body post extensions :)

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 2 months ago #8092

Or the (50744) Cayenne body posts... :y:

Although the long ones are actually used on the TA03 and not on the Cayenne. :whistle:

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 2 months ago #8206

Managed to sort out the rear body shell mounts tonight by refitting the original short body mounts but mounting them slightly further back with the aid of a couple of 5mm spacers and longer screws its looking a lot better now with the rear end sitting lower.This also brings the front body mounts in to line so i dont need to alter these now. I think ill have to accept cutting back the front arches a little to allow for the larger wheels that are fitted unless i can think of some other course of action, i was thinking of some smaller wheels not sure yet though. I am however in desperate need of a rear shock mount as the one i refitted has cracked right through now :( . If anyone can help me id be very grateful? im not bothered about the colour black or red just want an undamaged one.

Regards

Last edit: by tamiya nut.

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 2 months ago #8207

Just had a look - buggy shock towers for the chassis would be no problem...
I have one for on road still on the tree, but I owe the set in a recent trade. :(

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.