Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 3 months ago #6524

I think the only way that makes sense if you read "converted" as someone losing or breaking the idler gear

You got a good point there. Can't imagine it was done purposely...
If the ball diff was left in the rear gearbox then that's just wasteful and lazy. :lol:

Edou - to narrow it down, as I know you're like a rat up a drainpipe about such things - I'm thinking it might be shared with the TA03F and/or FF01 chassis? Could be wrong about that, it might even be the unused gear in the grasshopper family gear bag?

Don't get me going there, Jonny! :silly:

Getting an alu idler to TN (the TS) wouldn't be a problem.
Got one of those for him - and waterbok would even have a gear shaft and the caps with it.
But since the car will be taken all apart, I'd invest a bit of budget in a new 50529 gear set with the plastic idler.
And also replace the other gears in the process...
Tamiya nut would only need a shaft for the idler in addition then. :)

Dang, I'm getting curious about the idler evolution. :whistle:
I know the gear diff was used in (many) many models and a TA03 ball diff and one way bearing would even fit this car...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 3 months ago #6533

Think you might be correct JR when you mention the 'conversion' its probably been knackered somewhere down the line and they have just removed it completely.

Waterbok i could definitely use the shaft and end caps you have if thats ok as i dont want to have to buy a parts bag and tree just for these two small parts if nobody has an idler gear ill order this in from feebay.

I thought the same about the spur gear but i have inspected it and it looks ok?

Paintjob is bad but hopefully ill have this off soon but annoyingly someone has cut the headlights out of the shell for some strange reason and they have done it badly. Im hoping to reuse this body so ill try everything to recycle it.

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 3 months ago #6553

looks similar to what's lurking in the TL01 gearbox to me.... Got 3 spare sets of TL01 gears & another partial set from something that might well be TA02 (Seem to remember something in the instruction sheet saying like "If it's 2-piece, use this bit instead")- I'll try & get in the loft tomorrow to check the part numbers on the bags (You may have to remind me)

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 3 months ago #6569

Thanks Eddrick that would be great B)

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 3 months ago #6572

The TA01/TA02s share a few components with the TL-01...
Don't know all the details but it looks like when it comes to the gears only the diff matches. :S
I was hoping the idler also but that seems to have a larger diameter since it uses 1150 bearings instead of 850s.
Shared components are more in the line of suspension (and it's propulsion) parts...

Keep us updated if any of eddrick's gears match though. ;)

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 3 months ago #6634

Had a dig about, this is what I've got (Other than TL stuff) - Looks like the gear you want is there & the shaft caps. If you still want it, let me have your address & I'll get it off to you. If you let me know the diameter & length of the shaft (I'm assuming you still need that too?) I'll have a dig about & see what I've got, or I'll make you one
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: tamiya nut

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 3 months ago #6636

That's the perfect gear set. :cheer:
The idler shaft is 5x19mm btw...

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 3 months ago #6637

PM my address to you eddrick thanks for all the help with this guys im going to order a bearing set now and ill post the clean up and rebuild once i have received all the bits.

Shaft is 5x19mm thanks Edou

This is a great website for picking up random parts required for rebuilds and the knowledge base is awesome B) :)

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 3 months ago #6638

He Edou, thats something for your Manta Ray ridlles.

This SP529 gearset on Eddricks picture looks to be the second edition (9005355) gearset (for top force) where you only would need the alu drivegear. (3545007)
The first edition (9005322)should be the one where you have both idler and drivegear (9805373) made out of aluminium.
Third and final edition would be all gears made of plastic. (now 50529)

the numbers between () are the current parts numbers I found at Seidels.

The gear at bottom right seems to be out of place.

The Idler gear should measure approx 14.4mm diam. and 12.3mm wide
Yep shaft is 5x19

Re: Tamiya Toyota Prerunner 12 years 3 months ago #6640

Hehe. :) My kind of riddle... but I think something else might be going on here. :huh:
Seems to me that this is a 3rd generation set.
50529 comes with both a gear diff and ball diff housing. Like on the picture above.
But the biggest clue - 9005355 and 3545007 don't have the small ball retainer for the thrust bearing on it.
And eddrick's sprue does...

The gear that's out of place is a TL-02 spur I think, while the one for a TA02 is missing.
Even Seidel recommends to go all plastic while you're at it btw. :silly:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds