Keyword

TOPIC:

Sand Scorcher repaint 8 years 9 months ago #34847

It was a bit of 1200 grit, less than fingernail size ... but some stuck on the flat end of a 6mm rod & cut to shape would have been more accurate.
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Sand Scorcher repaint 8 years 9 months ago #34858

Started early with the clear coat, first coat went well, but the bugs were out & about by the time I got to the second (properly wetted) coat ... it's uncanny the attraction this blue has for insects - starting on the mostly white roof was fine, but as soon as I got one side shiny I was dodging bees & flies left, right and centre - not really conducive to good spraying technique TBH.

The second wave of kamikaze pollen beetles was worse - they were teaming up. The one that scored (badword-first I might add) teamed up with two of his mates to get a direct hit, using the "maintained lead" principle - aiming not where the target was, but _where it was going to be_.

I'll leave it for now - in a few days time when it's gone all dry & crispy it should be easy to knock off, then sand/polish out any remains.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut

Sand Scorcher repaint 8 years 9 months ago #34859

:lol: bug crash...

Sand Scorcher repaint 8 years 9 months ago #34861

Wow that looks like its gone in there at speed Jon :ohmy:

Sand Scorcher repaint 8 years 9 months ago #34863

Ah, it looks bad but I expect it'll polish out - really :)

Sand Scorcher repaint 8 years 9 months ago #34867

really shiny. same if there are some defaults.

Sand Scorcher repaint 8 years 9 months ago #34873

Pollen bug was still wiggling after a couple of days, but I did manage to get it out in one piece. After sanding & polishing, it's obvious a bit of retouching will be needed...

After retouching & re polishing you have to look closely to spot it...

Although it was already fairly shiny, I did think it could be improved with a bit of rubbing out - but as there are an awful lot of edges & details, I only gave a very light sand & polish to a few areas: wheelarches, bonnet petals & white portion of the roof.

Left side has been done here, right not:

End result:

:)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: waterbok, stingray-63, AndyAus

Sand Scorcher repaint 8 years 9 months ago #34874

Awesome job :y:

Sand Scorcher repaint 8 years 9 months ago #34875

All done :)

I know we agreed to put Bell decals on in lieu of the missing Auto Haus ones, but thinking about it, it wouldn't make sense to have two helmet manufacturers sponsorship right next to each other ... most of the vintage decals weren't very stick any more, the glass is a bit cloudy & the paint isn't perfect, but overall it's way better than my own Scorcher so i don't see I could have got it any better - I claim first dibs if you ever want to sell it.

It wouldn't hurt to let it sit for 24 hours to be sure the adhesive on the decals, servo tape holding the driver & licence plates on, and the glue on the lights is all as set as it can be, but basically it's ready when you are, Santacruz.

I still can't get the blue to show up correctly :silly:

I also snuck it on to my own chassis for some posed shots :D

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus

Sand Scorcher repaint 8 years 9 months ago #34876

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: What an amazing job you've done there Jon its exactly as I had it in my mind, thankyou very much and especially as the trouble I had getting it built, if you guys go to my first post you will see what Jon had to work with, these werent new parts they were all used vintage which off course makes the job harder, fantastic great job :cheer: .
I'll email you Jon reguarding collection.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.