Keyword

TOPIC:

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 2 years 9 months ago #67405

2nd layer ("interesting" scrap ;) ) stuck on & tape removed. The skips have had their first layer of paint (Aluminium Coat), the inserts Red Plastic Primer & are outgassing in the shed :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 2 years 9 months ago #67416

Red primer on one of the scrap piles:

"Aluminium Coat" on the outside of the skips (insides already done):

Light dusting of Red primer on the inside of the skip:

Slightly heavier coat of red on the outside:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, silvertriple, jord001

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 2 years 9 months ago #67417

Skips sprayed yellow on the outside only .... it's _supposed_ to look bad - and the the old, mostly used can of paint that was a bit splattery helped with that :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut, caprinut, stingray-63, Lemsko, silvertriple, jord001

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 2 years 9 months ago #67442

Skips back from the shed, decals & some weathering/dirt:

Currently working on painting the loads of junk :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko, silvertriple, jord001

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 2 years 9 months ago #67444

Working on the loads - I think that's about 10 different shades of paint, followed by a wash of XF-27 Black Green (still waiting for that to dry).

I'm going to keep one of the Dunmow skips & one of the loads - I always thought it would be the one with the railing (left), but now I'm thinking the one with the reel & spare wheel (centre) as I'm undecided between the other two, but that will be less easy to pack/post than the one on the right. 

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, silvertriple, jord001

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 2 years 9 months ago #67445

I love the 3
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 2 years 9 months ago #67448

Put together, desk cleared & the road baseboard got out to get "arty" finished shots - and got the "fancy" camera out for the occasion ... which once again performed far worse than the 12 year old compact I usually use :whistle: 

The one I want to keep:

And the one I won't:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 2 years 9 months ago #67449

And the other one:

Note the painting error - on the 1st one I built (now on the back of my Bedford TM skip truck) I (correctly) left the underside in bare metal (aluminium & red primer) ...

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 2 years 9 months ago #67450

I could be wrong about this but I believe the small trapezoidal builders "skip"  (from the Norse skeppa  = basket) is a peculiarly UK thing, the rest of the world using larger Roll On, Roll Off dumpsters under similar circumstances. This is relevant, as I looked to see what other options there are for sale, in trying to set a price.

I made these to be 1:14 versions of the larger 12 cubic yard builders skip, which is also very close to the more usual 8yd skip at 1:12 scale (hence the Pumpkin, above ;) ). They're also close to the smaller 6yd skips at 1:10 scale so could be used in a lot of different scale dioramas, in my mind at least. ;)

I found:

- a 1:18 scale skip with nothing like the same level of detail, and made to order (well, what the seller feels like building) with a 10 day lead time - for 36 GBP posted;

- 1:14 super basic folded/welded "Alliminium" skips at 22 GBP posted, and one painted for 5 GBP more;

- 1:16 injection moulded Roll-Off dumpster, cheapest I can find right now is 33 GBP on a trailer

I try to set prices at the point where someone looking at them will suck air through their teeth, but still buy :D I think I must get it right most of the time, or even a bit low as most of my RC stuff sells very quickly. 

Having said that, trying to sell stuff to a profit has always been a complete fail for me. I know what I'd _like_ to get for them, taking into account eBay fees (including waiting for a 1 GBP max fee or similar offer) , postage, packing materials, materials to build them, and a contribution for my time. I also know what I need to get for them to cover my forthcoming credit card bill - and it's nothing like those prices above, not even close :blink:     

My thinking is that someone who's bought a Tamiya 1:14 truck, trailer, the sound/light unit(s), and radio gear  _and_ wants a realistic UK skip for a diorama shouldn't baulk at the price i have in mind, but I guess I'll find out ...

The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 2 years 9 months ago #67451

You could keep them to put screws, papers, cigarettes, or werters original
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, jord001

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.