Keyword

TOPIC:

58034 Super Champ light resto 9 years 8 months ago #30348

I know I said I'd get a "Fighting Buggy" & was quite looking forward to building an SRB out of the box for the first time - but I bid on this vintage Super Champ this morning & won :)

It does make a bit more sense for me (I already have a pukka set of decals & a NIP grey bumper), so those, a bit of paint/cleaning/polishing, driver from a re-re Buggy Champ, correct rear tyres & barring any nasty surprises, job's a good 'un :y:

Pics are from the sellers eBay listing.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

58034 Super Champ light resto 9 years 8 months ago #30349

Wow this looks in exceptional condition :woohoo: Nice to have some decent pictures from the seller too ;)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

58034 Super Champ light resto 9 years 8 months ago #30357

I agree with Andy, it looks to be in very good shape and original as well.
The body looks like it's unused?

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

58034 Super Champ light resto 9 years 8 months ago #30358

:woohoo: too nice!!!

58034 Super Champ light resto 9 years 8 months ago #30460

The Super Champ arrived yesterday and ... well, put it this way, it must take a really good photo - it doesn't look half as good in the flesh. In fact I spent a lot of time comparing the photos and the car to be sure that no post-sale parts swapping chicanery had gone on.

In the end it's apparent that it is the same car & the various horrors on the car are in the eBay photos - once you know where to look. TBH I think I just saw what I wanted to see - a car that just needed a quick clean up & a couple parts that I already had. The fact it will need a bit more work and a few more parts than expected shouldn't put me off... and it won't - despite my initial plan to just put this on the shelf while I finish at least a couple of other projects has gone out the window :D

58034 Super Champ light resto 9 years 8 months ago #30462

• Dam
  • Anytime Baby!
  • Anytime Baby!

The Super Champ arrived yesterday and ... well, put it this way, it must take a really good photo - it doesn't look half as good in the flesh. In fact I spent a lot of time comparing the photos and the car to be sure that no post-sale parts swapping chicanery had gone on.

In the end it's apparent that it is the same car & the various horrors on the car are in the eBay photos - once you know where to look. TBH I think I just saw what I wanted to see - a car that just needed a quick clean up & a couple parts that I already had. The fact it will need a bit more work and a few more parts than expected shouldn't put me off... and it won't - despite my initial plan to just put this on the shelf while I finish at least a couple of other projects has gone out the window :D

Bummer :huh:

58034 Super Champ light resto 9 years 8 months ago #30472

Started dismantling & there are quite a few issues ... I'm not whinging (much), I've wanted one of these for 30 years or so & there's nothing here that puts me off - but there are plenty of things I need to sort, others are entertaining, and some are interesting...

This is it as arrived, having discard the thin brown paper, disgusting Mondeo box & the inadequate amount of second & third hand bubblewrap. Note the angle of the roof ...

The roof bars have become twisted at the back & old poor repairs have failed at the front...

The other end on one side (and probably the other) is broken too:

I think we can say that this section is not original :whistle:

Recent, mismatched Wood screws holding the wrong sort of spot lights on:

Lots more to come ...

58034 Super Champ light resto 9 years 8 months ago #30473

Body has the usual break on at least one side, this side was particularly obvious due to having been recently & very sloppily repaired with superglue:

I was so busy photographing a bit of a scrape on the right rear of the body ...

... that I failed to notice the sodding great hole that had been butchered in the rear panel :pinch: :blush:

Rear wing has some gravel rash (other side similar)

The single window net that's present does appear to be correct and original, once I'd peeled it off the excess superglue I could see that the wires that should have been holding it on were very, very fresh ...

One of the front lights had an awful lot of bath sealant. That couldn't possibly be hiding anything untoward, could it? :whistle:

Of course it was :pinch:

:D

58034 Super Champ light resto 9 years 8 months ago #30476

Wrong balljoints, but I already knew about that...

Screws holding the left front arm balljoint caps in don't match the single slot ones in the other side or the wheels ...

Patina on the rear arms doesn't match the other pot metal bits around them...

... and they don't match each other. 2nd bearing hole means it's a "mk.1" SRB part (?) & matches the scanned manual I have, the other one has a very slightly darker colour, extractor punch marks on the other side and a very clear number 2 (I mean the numeral 2 ;)) cast in, so is a re-re part (?)

Forward pivot pins are clearly homemade (I'll just tidy the cut/filed end up & reuse)

Rear bumper is not the expected pot metal - it's a homemade replacement. It's been done well enough, but the holes don't line up & there are file marks on the bosses, which appear to be brazed in. It's also heavy & very ferrous:

58034 Super Champ light resto 9 years 8 months ago #30477

Roll bar has take a bit of a beating ...

Time for me to glove up & tackle the gearbox & shocks :blink:
Attachments:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.