Keyword

TOPIC:

58034 Super Champ light resto 9 years 8 months ago #30478

Nice pics :y: , very interresting collection of bits and pieces. :blink:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by waterbok.

58034 Super Champ light resto 9 years 8 months ago #30483

I thought this screw being fitted upside down meant the thread in the casting was stripped, but no ... in fact none of the loose or missing screws were down to threads being stripped :)

Chassis is very brown in places ... I'm thinking UV exposure rather than nicotine though.

Predictably enough the rubber bushings at either end of the front shocks was shot & had to be broken up, but the metal inserts are wrecked too:

Spur gear cover is ok apart from 2 cracks on one of the fastener holes ...

.. but the motor cover has been butchered. I have a re-re one I could use but by repute they don't fit ... I'll give it a go when the gearbox is clean. Failing that, I'm inclined to make by own aluminium clamp, though it won't be quite as pretty as some of the CNC machined jobbies out there.

That's not a period motor :whistle:

Everything ready for cleaning to start:

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

58034 Super Champ light resto 9 years 8 months ago #30491

I don't think that it is a too hard job for a guy who built a camper cabin on a poor blackfoot body and made all the interior......
It is a 30 more years old car wich runed a lot.
Now you have something to do before christmas Jonny :p
It is very nice Jonny

58034 Super Champ light resto 9 years 8 months ago #30570

Everything has been through the ultrasonic tank, no nasty surprises but the dirt was hiding something on the GRP decks ... I can only think of one think that would make the edges green like this:

Edges given a bit of a sand + the edges sealed with X-22 Clear:

All the bits that went in this run looked like brass, but there must have been something bronze in there too:

I polished the bronze off the bits that will show:

Wheel outers had a lot of sealant to scrape off:

Gearbox covers, re-re on the left, Super Champ ones on the right - identical apart from color & wire holes on motor cover:

Nice joints on steel bumper, alignment of holes isn't so great:

58034 Super Champ light resto 9 years 8 months ago #30575

:woohoo: Nice Jonny,
What do you use in your ultrasonic tank? Mine is very old and I think that it's not so efficient than 20 years ago.

58034 Super Champ light resto 9 years 8 months ago #30586

:woohoo: Nice Jonny,
What do you use in your ultrasonic tank? Mine is very old and I think that it's not so efficient than 20 years ago.

"Sea Clean" on brass parts, Lemon "Fairy" on everything else :)

58034 Super Champ light resto 9 years 8 months ago #30588

... interesting collection of bits and pieces. :blink:

... and nowhere is that more true than with the pot metal parts - cleaning them has shown up even more of a range of age & condition:

These parts are either mk.2 SRB or Superchamp (so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt) - but note how they've aged to blue-grey matt finish. These parts often turn this colour, I don't think we'll ever know for sure but there has to be the possibility of Tamiya using a slightly different alloy recipe for ductility vs a freer-flowing mix for the more intricate castings?

Gearbox halves (edit - I checked more carefully & these are definitely Super Champ parts - see www.studio68.no...p?id=10430) - but note the greyer colour.

Front shock towers (SC/mk.2 SRB, ditto) - lighter grey patina.

Exclusively Super Champ bits - but an even lighter grey. I remember "Pat. P" (Patent pending) being on a lot of toys in the 70's ...

Badly/incompletely (should have threaded holes all the way through) modified re-release Buggy Champ/Sand Scorcher rear arm, pretty much the factory finish.

Modified (ditto) Mk.1 SRB - NOT Super Champ - rear arm, finish looks factory fresh to me (so original part sealed up for decades?).

I'm not sure what I learned from this - other than I need to do something to make them all look like they just came from Tamiya, or at least all the same before they go back on ...
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

58034 Super Champ light resto 9 years 8 months ago #30594

Not having googled, I'd say the colour of the aluminium is largely determined by the iron content.
Polishing should get them matching more (but probably never exactly)...
I'd think Tamiya would be quite consistent but may have a used purer alloy later on?

58034 Super Champ light resto 9 years 8 months ago #30602

Japaneses haden't top quality material bases during 70's and 80's I think. Same if tamiyas are always here.

58034 Super Champ light resto 9 years 8 months ago #30612

Seeing TommieG's SRB/Super Champ gearbox halves for sale thread prompted me to check my bits more carefully ... along the way I found www.studio68.no...p?id=10430 which goes in to great detail.

:)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.