Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: TamiyaFan website... now TamiyaWeb.com! 9 years 7 months ago #30958

• Edou
  • Edou's Avatar Topic Author
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad

I'm running a 22" widescreen monitor @ 1680 x 1050 resolution, which really isn't pushing it TBH ... this site, eBay & so on use the same size font (or smaller), but it's way clearer - due to being black or dark blue on white - your black on grey, grey on grey, black on ... whatever that colour is ... puce? ... isn't working for me - the green on grey is even worse. The bold yellow in grey is clear ... but pretty ugly

Maybe it's your screen settings. :lol: ;)

Or maybe it's my own monitor. :silly:
Reading back this topic a bit, I realise I've come a long way from trying to solve the 'simpler' coding issues.
Guess I've learned quite a bit in only two years. Often with a struggle though, the webdesign discipline is vast.
But the layout's long been different from what Jonny was justly complaining about...
This would be one of the more interesting pages (including the links of course), I'll finish the list up to 58200 soon :

tamiyaweb.com/data/overview

Let me know what you like or hate about the design itself. :-)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: TamiyaFan website... now TamiyaWeb.com! 9 years 7 months ago #30962

I can read most of it OK, but on the Home page, the red text on the "carbon" background under "Latest Updates" is very difficult to read. The cyan text further down is better, but still not great.
Overall, I like the design, but find the colours a little dark and gloomy.

TamiyaWeb 9 years 7 months ago #30964

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Thanks for the feedback, what you mentioned is what I noticed most as well - with my new monitor especially.
I'll update that, I've become a bit better at using Inkscape since that was uploaded.

:) :y:

I'm sort of a fan of a dark theme (as with my cars) but it looks like the background on the lists could be a bit brighter at least.

TamiyaWeb 8 years 7 months ago #35372

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Webdesign has changed quite a bit since I first started looking at the basics 3-4 years ago. What was relatively new then (and very promising) has become mainstream among browsers. Using HTML5 is fully acceptable now so I've started updating the home page first of all. Hopefully also causing reduced gloominess because of the usage of custom fonts and text-shadow here and there, giving it more contrast.

Another thing that's changed is the amount of mobile users. So I had a crack at that as well - it will now adapt gracefully depending on the screen size. Much more to do but let me know what you think so far!

tamiyaweb.com

A good way to see what I've been up to is to view it on desktop and resize the browser window...
There's 'break points' - at 500 and 800 pixels screen width.

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

TamiyaWeb 7 years 4 months ago #41719

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
I've been putting in quite a bit of work, revising the code, of which not a whole lot will be directly noticeable. Removed small glitches as well but the most visible improvement is that the visitor can now select their own preferences for the site. Turning the animations on or off for example. And the option of a colorful background (especially for Jonny, although now it might be too christmassy, lol).

Just click on the button on the right top of the page and you can toggle some settings. :)
They will be "remembered" and immediately implemented site wide (for now that only applies to the smooth scrolling).

Maybe I'll actually add some more data soon as well. :whistle:
The following user(s) Liked this: AndyAus

TamiyaWeb 7 years 4 months ago #41725

I like the red & blue wallpaper :)
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou

TamiyaWeb 7 years 4 months ago #41735

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Me too, it's kinda hard to go back to the plain background after having had the new one for a while.
It's clashing a bit with the colours on the site's sub pages but I think I'll get to that as well, maybe slightly toning down the vibrancy.
The second "red blue background" Google search result was a nice match for both the layout of the page and the favourite brand in question.

:cheer:

TamiyaWeb 7 years 4 months ago #41767

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Hey guys, if any of you are using Android versions 3.0-4.4 then I would really appreciate some feedback.
It's pretty straightforward - going to the site won't really show anything but a background.
My suspicion is that it only happens with the stock Android browser.

On my phone with Gingerbread (Android 2.3) the script breaks because it can't handle referring to jQuery plugins.
I won't bore you with the details but it interfering requires quite a workaround - old school "browser sniffing" and separate scripts.
That does work but I'm now discriminating against all up to 4.4...
As I'd rather try to avoid this as much as possible, I'd very much like to get to the bottom as to which browser versions show this behaviour.
Thanks in advance (just click the link below to check).

TamiyaWeb 7 years 4 months ago #41768

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
It's very odd but I cannot find any documentation on that issue whatsoever. And I'm generally a true research nerd, spending hours on the Presto documentation pages to check for details on obsolete versions of Opera just to create the cleanest feature tests for example...

www.opera.com/d...resto/#o12

Edit - to end up not even finding a satisfactory answer there, lol.

TamiyaWeb 7 years 4 months ago #41769

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
The "old" Opera has a small but loyal following by the way.
It was a pretty good browser (already) before they went Webkit/Blink.
Version 12 even got an update this year.

:huh:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.305 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.