Keyword

TOPIC:

how can i get top quality discontinued decals? 10 years 9 months ago #22998

Title bout sums it up... Looking for Chevy S-10 ta-02 short course body and decals.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

how can i get top quality discontinued decals? 10 years 9 months ago #23002

Title bout sums it up... Looking for Chevy S-10 ta-02 short course body and decals.

Hi Zkohorst you have 4 options.

1. Wait for original ones to appear on ebay, or one of the online forums (maybe post a wanted ad).
2. Wait for someone to sell a repo version on ebay. This is difficult because Tamiya don't like repo stickers so they get a take down notices fairly quickly. Plus you can't be assured of the quality.
3. find an image and print it yourself, but there are usually limitations in that.
4. find better artwork and pay a signage shop to print for you.

None are very good options unless you can make your own artwork or obtain high quality artwork.
The following user(s) Liked this: zkohorst

how can i get top quality discontinued decals? 10 years 9 months ago #23012

Why were decals awesome back in the day and now stupid? The current rally cars and touring cars get great scale decals but off-road buggies have ludicrous names and fake weird graffics?

how can i get top quality discontinued decals? 10 years 9 months ago #23015

touring/race cars are usually replicas of an existing one, so I can understand why Tamiya would go the extra mile there. Maybe its also easier to deals, as they might only have to deal with the racing team. With the buggies, I suspect copyright is a bigger issue and they would end up having to do much work licensing to make it worth while.

As for the name Nova, who knows how that came about, but someone obviously thought it was a great idea and managed to convince a lot of people. That Wannabe hornet wasn't to my taste, but apparently quite popular so who can tell these days.

how can i get top quality discontinued decals? 10 years 9 months ago #23038

Well I sure would be happy if tamiya would just re-re the Chevy and Toyota like they did the f-150.. With actual sponsor decals.

how can i get top quality discontinued decals? 10 years 9 months ago #23040

Why were decals awesome back in the day and now stupid? The current rally cars and touring cars get great scale decals but off-road buggies have ludicrous names and fake weird graffics?

Tell me about it :whistle: I think the rot started a while back though ... I'm currently fiddling with a 58101 Bush Devil from 1991 (pink stripes & what's that? A camp Dracula? :huh: and a 58192 King Blackfoot from 1997 (flame graphics that look like they were originally done in crayon :blink: ... it's not a new problem :(

Well I sure would be happy if tamiya would just re-re the Chevy and Toyota like they did the f-150.. With actual sponsor decals.

Never going to happen, sadly :( Tamiya would need to track down all the current owners of the brands, obtain their agreement, and possibly pay royalties.

Still, I think Tamiya's approach of fake names is better than one alternative - the deliberate mispelling on (often Chinese) imports - I'm thinking specifically of the "Citreon" RC cars and "Hongda" motorbikes I've seen on eBay recently :S

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

how can i get top quality discontinued decals? 10 years 9 months ago #23042

As for the name Nova, who knows how that came about, but someone obviously thought it was a great idea and managed to convince a lot of people. That Wannabe hornet wasn't to my taste, but apparently quite popular so who can tell these days.

I really dislike the addition of "Nova" to the Fox name - it would have been better to see seperate "Nova Fox Racing Team" decals that people coud have cut out & used as they wanted :(

This is what the name "Nova" means to me - a small Vauxhall car from the 80's :sick:

how can i get top quality discontinued decals? 10 years 9 months ago #23045

It became a bit clearer today where Tamiya's head is at. I went to the local hobby shop today buy some brushes for an old 05R Yokomo motor I have. They had listed some tamiya ones that should fit, so I thought I'd pick up a couple of sets. They had one left and said it would be months before they had any because the local Australian importer. So a discussion started on how crap the local distributor is and why Tamiya still supports them. Apart from being loyal, he view was that the vast majority of Tamiya's market (95% maybe) was within Japan, and basically the rest of the world was icing on the cake. While I think 95% sounds a bit high, it would to me explain the Wanabee Hornet and renaming The Fox to the Nova Fox. They are primarily catering to the Japanese (or Asian) markets and anything else is a bonus,

regards

Johann

how can i get top quality discontinued decals? 10 years 9 months ago #23046

I really dislike the addition of "Nova" to the Fox name - it would have been better to see seperate "Nova Fox Racing Team" decals that people coud have cut out & used as they wanted :(

This is what the name "Nova" means to me - a small Vauxhall car from the 80's :sick:

oh, btw, thats one ugly car!

how can i get top quality discontinued decals? 10 years 9 months ago #23049

Ah! thats an Opel Corsa, yep they are ugly

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.