Keyword

TOPIC:

how can i get top quality discontinued decals? 10 years 9 months ago #23101

Try contacting this UK eBay Seller (pc-rc-world) ...

I recently got some repro vinyl Fox decals from him and they are good. ...

Really? I had some from him a while back (the same seller, he just keeps creating new eBay profiles) & they were utter garbage - "precut, printed on clear vinyl" turned out to mean poorly printed out on white (including bits that needed to be on clear), really badly cut out & a whole sheet of clear slapped on over the top :angry:

Okay, let me clarify when I said "they were good": The repro decals were not of an equivalent standard to original Tamiya decals, nor did I expect them to be. But they were a heck of a lot better than I could have created myself, even if I could get hold of decent artwork from somewhere and printed myself on those printable A4 sticker paper packs you can buy (perhaps there is a better way?).

Yes, some appear to be on white, with a clear layer on top, but most are not and look okay - I'd say they were 75% of the quality of originals and for me having "Fox" instead of the daft "NovaFox" is worth the drop in quality as I won't be looking at them from 2" away most of the models life.

I can post a high res. photo of the repro Fox sheet if anyone is interested?

To get the same standard as the original decals sheets, they need to be screen printed. Its really the only way to get them on clear with the colours that are used by Tamiya. Modern wide format printers can get you 80-90% there, but there are limitations. One of the biggest is that to get the right detail and colours you need to spend a fair bit of time getting the artwork right, and even then the colours will always be a closest match. I also doubt there is enough sales volume for anyone selling repo stickers to get their money back in the time spent doing detailed artwork (especially now given that Tamiya will eventually shut you down). There are options, but anything good is not too easy or cheap to do.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

how can i get top quality discontinued decals? 10 years 9 months ago #23118

Gentleman...we will have to go under ground with the decal dilemma. There must be some graphic designers amongst us + a couple of scans and a descent printing shop in China. Code name 00-Decal at reprodecdal@donttell-mrT.com.ch...... lets see a show of hands here.

Well that is my lighter side getting the better of me. I do share your disgust with regards Mr.T's standpoint in this matter. I fail to see on what part of a decal sheet Mr. T actually holds rites to, is it his name, the colors, graphic shapes, the sponsors or the model name. Mr.T should let the printers that made the original decals do a re-release (like most models lately) and sell it.

Remember now it's 00-Decal
Marius

how can i get top quality discontinued decals? 10 years 9 months ago #23140

This has become far to complicated.. I shouldn't have to resort to Nazi Gestapo tactics to enjoy my hobby.

how can i get top quality discontinued decals? 10 years 9 months ago #23142

This has become far to complicated.. I shouldn't have to resort to Nazi Gestapo tactics to enjoy my hobby.

Godwin's law anyone? ;)

I think the tactics used by WWII Resistance movements would be more appropriate ... or maybe not, I'm not sure committing acts of sabotage, then disappearing back into the hills would help that much :laugh:

how can i get top quality discontinued decals? 10 years 9 months ago #23143

ssst carefull NSA is listening in B)

Oh and if you spooks do, maybe you can can post the solution ;)

how can i get top quality discontinued decals? 10 years 9 months ago #23145

I won't feed the discussion much. Too silly to take even take seriously. Decal nazis... what a lack of historic sense.

Godwin's law

Guess I can be glad nobody's called me a DF-01 customise nazi yet. :silly:

Last edit: by Edou.

how can i get top quality discontinued decals? 10 years 9 months ago #23146

no we are more like DTF's Dutch Tamiya Freaks.

My current rating is DF14

:pinch:

Last edit: by waterbok.

how can i get top quality discontinued decals? 10 years 9 months ago #23147

I'm not sure that's healthy anymore. It's DF-01 hoarding. :lol:

how can i get top quality discontinued decals? 10 years 9 months ago #23149

Well luckily you can't see the rest of the room on the picture :P and some I will be parting with :ohmy:

well enough, way off topic, anybody got some TFevo decals lying around? for cheap :laugh: :laugh:

Last edit: by waterbok.

how can i get top quality discontinued decals? 10 years 9 months ago #23150

Someone's actually been offering repro of that one lately. Can't say anything about the quality though.
Too lazy to check eBay feedback, I guess...

:pinch:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.