Keyword

TOPIC:

It's tool time! 9 years 10 months ago #29168

• Edou
  • Edou's Avatar Topic Author
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Good tips, eddrick. Going on zero budget though so trying to be inventive. ;)
For my previous idea with the garden sprayer I'll also be needing an adjustable (lever) valve of sorts to build pressure...
The Tamiya Spray Work has continuous air flow (and adds paint if you pull the trigger) so I cannot hook it up directly.
I think I'll use it as is for blowing dirtiness of my cars.

I think I'll be alright using the compressor and airbrush for basic XF paint priming at least.
Maybe even a bit of camo.

:)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Edou.

It's tool time! 9 years 10 months ago #29170

Yeah I know all about making do with what you can cobble together cos the funds aren't there, but believe me, once you tot up the time, effort & expenditure making something that isn't quite as good as something you can buy, you'll realise you could've bought it twice over if you'd just waited & saved your pennies.

Have a look at fleabay, & any local machinery shops you might have, eg your equivalent of "Machine Mart" - I know Clarke do an airbrush compressor with a fairly high rating (Like high enough for blowing out debris etc) for about 40GBP, & they can be had cheaper on Ebay if you don't mind playing auctions.
Don't restrict yourself to looking in the modelling world either, like I said, spray-tanning uses similar equipment, as does nail art, cake decorating, greetings card making, & the prices are a fraction of what modellers pay for the same thing.

Alternatively, Lay your hands on a car/bicycle tyre or inner tube (Or football, dingy, love doll inflatable sheep etc etc) & something to pump it up with, go to a shop where they do winemaking equipment & buy some tubing & a cheap plastic valve (Probably no more than 2 quid for tube & valve), & you've got your basic regulated airbrush air supply.
OR, do all your spraying local to a line of parked cars with nice pert bouncy tyres...

It's tool time! 9 years 10 months ago #29171

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Last option sounds especially good. :lol:
Actually, I think I still have a foot pump somewhere and kevlar lined tyres on my bike that need high pressure. :silly:
Defo not spending a bunch of cash on a compromise. Maybe a buck or two for a small experiment sounds alright.

It's tool time! 9 years 10 months ago #29175

Mountain bike tyres are probably ok, I suspect racing bike tyres might lack in air quantity (Short spraying time), car tyres work best.

Depending on what paint you're spraying, how much it is thinned down, & what size nozzle your brush has, usually spraying pressure will be about 10-30psi. If your bike tyre is pumped up to 40psi, you can make it last by throttling the air down to say 15psi & thin your paint more to compensate for the reduced air flow that a lower pressure will supply.
It's better to spray with a low a pressure as you can get away with anyway - if your pressure's too high, it can blow the solvent out of the paint & bung the nozzle up, or the paint droplets are travelling so fast that they dry before they hit the working surface, or you'll get masses of "overspray" (Sticking more paint in the air than on your shell).
Metallics don't like high pressures either, again the solvents get blown out & the metal flakes bung the nozzle up.

My airbrush has a 0.2mm nozzle (Too small really), I thin my paint to about the thickness of ink, & I spray using (Very roughly) 15psi.
If the paint's thin or metallic, I drop the pressure a bit.
Practice on a bit of paper to get the paint thickness verses air pressure to how you get on with it best with your setup.

Soda-stream/disposable MIG gas bottle adaptor is another good one, can work out expensive to run though.
Option 3.5, do you know anyone with a full-size compressor? - adapt an empty gas bottle for your brush to run from (eg fit it with a tyre valve), & get your mate to pump it up again when it's empty
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou

It's tool time! 9 years 10 months ago #29194

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
A spare tyre may be the best short term solution. :y:

I messed around with that garden sprayer and hooked it up to the manometer of the foot pump.
Breaking a sweat, you can actually get it up to 3 bar which is sort of enough for cleaning stuff.
It is only a short burst though so not that efficient unless one is very much into exercising.

Last edit: by Edou.

It's tool time! 9 years 10 months ago #29195

Ok maybe a bit tricky to find one cheap but how about,

a (rear) F1 tire with rim, you can make a multipurpose table out it.should hold enough air too. :woohoo:

Last edit: by waterbok.

It's tool time! 9 years 10 months ago #29197

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
How cool would that be. :)
Don't suppose they would be easy to find though.
I do see spare wheels on Marktplaats from a fiver on (may have to give it a go soon).

It's tool time! 9 years 10 months ago #29198

:P A good cassoulet can be a solution too. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :silly: :sick:

My father broke the compressor and now I can recycle the fridge motor wich was on it :y: :y: :y:

It's tool time! 9 years 10 months ago #29199

You have to watch fridge compressors - they're great for generating high vacuum, but really aren't much cop for generating usable quantities of air pressure (They're designed for low volume, high pressure)

It's tool time! 9 years 9 months ago #29777

I spotted a pair of used non-insulated terminal crimpers supposedly for use on JST (RC radio gear size) connectors on ebay for 15 quid ... literally seconds on searching showed I could have a new pair for 17 ... I'll let you know how they work :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.