Keyword

TOPIC:

Mildly modified Blitzer project 11 years 9 months ago #10981

not sure if this is quite a custom build, but its not standard so i guess so :P

This is only the second tamiya kit ive built (excluding static models) the other being a TB-01 chassised imprezza that i didn't use much, and was completely standard, this one will be modified, and used....

Sadly i didnt think of taking pics of most of the build, so it will mainly be the modifications this is about, have got the chassis built, and im just in the process of finishing the body(s)

The bodyshell itself is not 100% as tamiya intended, I have filled the extra holes left for fitting to the sand scorcher using the method ive always used on static models which is cutting pieces of scrap sprue to fill the hole and bonding it with cement, has worked well no idea if its recommended or not, the primer im using is tamiyas own, it seems to be high build so fills any tiny imperfections which helps

i have also decided to glue the sunroof in place and relocate the arial to somewhere on the back bumper, as you see on dune buggies rather than drill a hole in it, i think im going to fill the sunroof joint too, not 100% on that yet (hence why the shell is still partial in primer...) other then that it will be standard, will have all the blitzer decals on it too

as the standard shell is going to be very well finished, and there expensive and relatively fragile i want to use a lexan one for running so i dont cry when i crash it :p

so have bought one of kamtec's lexan baja shells for that, just in the process of fitting it right now still needs final trimming before i paint it (they're pretty good for anyone interested, seem a decent thickness,and well moulded, ok not as good as tamiya ones but then there less then half the cost :P (and tamiya dont make a baja shell.....)

i 'may' also get a stadium blitzer shell and body posts too as i wanted that kit at one point.... and im watching a couple on ebay....

Currently the chassis is standard other then the ball bearings, but will soon have adjustable turnbuckles for the suspension, and a set of alloy shocks (aftermarket DF-03 ones are the hot ticket apparently?)

iyt currently has a standard motor and esc, but it will be getting a brushless motor and Novak gtm controller which was a 'bargain' from ebay,

I had a motor to fit but turns out i need one with a sensor, and the one i got is sensor-less so have sent it back for a exchange

as far as radio gear goes its running an acoms receiver and servo, which were cheap.... and as it turns out it feel VERY cheap, i doubt the servo will last long on an off road car as its so lightweight, will replace it with a metal geared one once it fails, the receiver is nice and compact, but the arial is nowhere near long enough for where i want it to go to (its barely long enough to fit in the standard position), is this feasible without messing up the range etc?

The transmitter (not part of the car i know) wasn't to my liking (very cheap feeling :( ) so its currently on ebay, and i replaced it with a very tidy vintage Futaba attack R i picked up for

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Ratchet.

Re: Mildly modified Blitzer project 11 years 9 months ago #10983

Looking good :y:

...I have filled the extra holes left for fitting to the sand scorcher using the method ive always used on static models which is cutting pieces of scrap sprue to fill the hole and bonding it with cement, has worked well no idea if its recommended or not ...

I don't see why not - you're using the same material as "filler" & right glue to melt it, so it should be as least as secure as what i've done in the past (patch it from underneath & then fill the hole).

I do see some dimples there though ... For a shelfer, personally I'd use some filler/putty to make it "perfect" - I tend to use Squadron White Putty - it's fine as long a you don't over work it & don't believe the quoted drying times :whistle:

...i think im going to fill the sunroof joint too, not 100% on that yet ...

I'd be cautious about that - the side to side curve is not the same on the sunroof and roof, so unless you want to do an awful lot of filling it'll always look different :(

...i doubt the servo will last long on an off road car as its so lightweight...

TBH I've only ever broken acoms servos in two cars - one in a hideously abused hornet (years of ludicrous jumps, head on demolition derby, etc), and in an RC10 (a badly adjusted & barely functioning servo saver) - they're not as bad as you think, and they _are_ cheap; I think I paid 3 GBP each for the last lot I bought in bulk :)

...the receiver is nice and compact, but the arial is nowhere near long enough for where i want it to go to (its barely long enough to fit in the standard position), is this feasible without messing up the range etc?

IIRC that RX (AR-2/27 I would guess) does have a short antenna, and yes, anything that reduces the effective height (measured vertically from the point it leaves the RX to the tip of the antenna, which is not necessarily the highest point) will reduce the range :(

Whether it's to an unsafe point can only be determined by experimentation - but modern ESCs could/should have a ... can't think of the correct phrase here ... doodad/circuit that cuts the power if it looses signal, so the car should just stop.

...The transmitter (not part of the car i know) wasn't to my liking (very cheap feeling :( ) so its currently on ebay, and i replaced it with a very tidy vintage Futaba attack R i picked up for

The following user(s) Liked this: Ratchet

Re: Mildly modified Blitzer project 11 years 9 months ago #10988

Nice thread. Gotta love a Beetle body. :) :y:

Filling holes with a bit of leftover sprue is a good approach. I've seen the "pros" do it as well.
You could even heat it so it sticks a bit better (if you didn't already)...

Looking forward to the rest of the build! :cheer:

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Mildly modified Blitzer project 11 years 9 months ago #11005

@ johnny retro

yeah not 100% finished on the body, i am a bit of a prefectionist at the best of times, so want to get it as close to perfect as i can, have bought oem of the squadron white filler to finish the imperfections, and like you said the roof would be a pain if i filled the sunroof, so im going to leave it as it is, otherwise id be there forever,

thats good to hear about the servo, will see how it goes, as far as the transmitter goes i bought acoms kit as thats the setup all my older cars had, and friends ones, so was a bit disappointed with the quality when i got it, but as you say it was cheap (i paid about

Re: Mildly modified Blitzer project 11 years 9 months ago #11013

but modern ESCs could/should have a ... can't think of the correct phrase here ... doodad/circuit that cuts the power if it looses signal

Failsafe? :huh:

A high torque servo saver might help with keeping the servo alive.
Not everybody's a fan of them though...

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Mildly modified Blitzer project 11 years 9 months ago #11035

but modern ESCs could/should have a ... can't think of the correct phrase here ... doodad/circuit that cuts the power if it looses signal

Failsafe? :huh: ...

That's the word :y:

Re: Mildly modified Blitzer project 11 years 9 months ago #11049

not much been done as im still finishing prep the body for the final paint, got the last of the dimples out of the bonnet where i filled the hole with some filler, and sprayed on some black to see what it looked like (black is bad for showing imperfections in my experience....) seems to be ok, will have to w

oh and i decided on the colour for the runner body,

modelzone in chester has soem polycarbonate tamiya paint on sale, had a choice of blue, orange, purple or green for

Last edit: by Ratchet.

Re: Mildly modified Blitzer project 11 years 9 months ago #11050

Cool colour. :)
Didn't you see tamiya nut at the shop? I think you were both there!

According to this post

:cheer:

Re: Mildly modified Blitzer project 11 years 9 months ago #11051

That might explain why there were only had 4 colours left to choose from ;)

Great colour - I don't think you can every go wromg with a loud green :D

Nice work on the filling & sanding BTW :y:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: Mildly modified Blitzer project 11 years 9 months ago #11053

hah no i didn't, i did notice that there were a lot less of the cans left then there was a week ago tho :P (i was in before but didn't buy any) so he may have been in earlier

thanks, yeah should suit the beetle shell, kinda want to get it done now but need to wait for the correct tools or ill mess it up

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.