Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: 58061 Striker 11 years 9 months ago #11071

I can give you a "dismantling & complaining" thread ;)

To start, the driver has been very poorly painted:

The decals have also been poorly applied, though the design/layout of them doesn't help in places:

Damage & dirt of the underside of the body. The outside has been sprayed badly (a very matt/orange peel white) but shows no dirt ... so it was painted with even being cleaned :blink:

B1 & B2 parts on the underside, and the screws holding them in, are new:

Chassis itself has been painted to match the body (i.e. poorly), the flat area has been sanded to hide scratches, which is fair enough ... as long as you finish with fine enough grits. It doesn't show up in the photos, but the "restorer" hasn't :(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: 58061 Striker 11 years 9 months ago #11072

Rear tyres are new - it doesn't show up that well in the photo, but the moulding flash around the centre of the tyre extends all around the spikes:

Rear wheels are used:

Left rear hub appears lightly used (front & back shown):

... but the right hub is broken & glued in to the wheel :sick: Note also the standard of the cleaning here :whistle:

Front corners are equally nasty - 1/2 worn tyres, old dirty wheels, and uprights that are dirty, rusty & heavily worn :(

Rear shocks are a mixed bag - worn/rusty shafts, springs are a little rusty, screws are new, 1 of the brass collars is missing & the other 3 are heavily corroded. Blue bits are new - but has been twisted/pulled off the sprue & not tidied up afterwards :S

Re: 58061 Striker 11 years 9 months ago #11073

Rear arms, cups & boxes they fit are new, drive shafts are used, axles are used, dirty & rusty :(

Left hand outer trailing arm cup has so much flash on it that it hasn't seated properly, meaning the arm was binding:

Wing is new, but has been twisted off the sprue:

Wing supports are also new - looks like the "restorer" had (briefly) found a pair of side cutters - but still missing a craft knife :whistle:

Motor has been fitted in the wrong holes -I hope the car was never run like this because the gears are barely touching :blink:

Completely irrelevant, but here's my cat limbo-ing under my desk ... gap is 100mm (4"):

Re: 58061 Striker 11 years 9 months ago #11074

Motor is rusty & dirty ... I don't know what that "cover" is supposed to be :huh:

Rear Bumper is new ...

Gearbox halves, rear arm cups & fasteners are new; gears, shafts & outdrives aren't:

MSC is worn & has fossilised grese on it, holder & screws are new:

Rest of the front end is the usual mixed bag - new bumper, arms & screws, new twisted off blue bits; worn & rusty shock shafts, lightly rusted springs, rusty kingpins, manky brass bits, dirty/rusty/worn uprights:

Chassis is of course used, but the rest - apart from one rusty washer & the ball ends - is new:

Re: 58061 Striker 11 years 9 months ago #11076

Looks like a piece of cake for a Jonny project. ;)
But I can't believe the lack of attention to detail the previous builder appeared to have had...

The cat's limbo dance is totally cute btw. :silly:

Re: 58061 Striker 11 years 9 months ago #11079

If I know JR as well as I think I do, This is no more than a 2 day/3 page restore thread... :whistle:

Re: 58061 Striker 11 years 9 months ago #11082

That will turn out immaculate with a little work :y: a good buy i still think

Re: 58061 Striker 11 years 9 months ago #11085

If I know JR as well as I think I do, This is no more than a 2 day/3 page restore thread... :whistle:

I don't know ... I've done a bit of cleaning, but I think this will get left a while - I've kind of lost enthuisiasm & need to catch up on some other projects first.

Re: 58061 Striker 11 years 9 months ago #11091

I put everything that was dirty (& small enough to fit) in the ultrasonic cleaner ... I suppose the state of the water & the smeg left in the tank aren't that remarkable - but this was supposed to be an "as new" car :blink:

Attachments:

Re: 58061 Striker 11 years 9 months ago #11099

:sick: :lol:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.300 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.