Keyword

TOPIC:

Got's me a Tamiya Rough Rider "1979" 10 years 3 months ago #27563

HI!... Got this Tamiya Rough Rider from a member here. Pretty good condition for being 35 years old! Looks to be mostly original. This will eventually get a full restoration. Now I'm not to familiar with the Rough Rider, but I've heard there is a Mark I and Mark II. Does anyone know what Mark, this is? And what are the differences between the two?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Got's me a Tamiya Rough Rider "1979" 10 years 3 months ago #27565

Nice ! You got a good condition mark 2 Rough rider. It is a mark 2 because you have thicker suspension arms and the front suspension springs holders (no 1 or 2) are of cast metal instead of screws. the plastic box looks to be in good ondition. You only have to order a new pair of Brat/Buggy Champ rear tires and a re-relese front bodypost, which is precisely the same. :)

Got's me a Tamiya Rough Rider "1979" 10 years 3 months ago #27566

But i must say the previous owner did a perfect repair job on that frontpost, it is not that easy, shows high skills

Got's me a Tamiya Rough Rider "1979" 10 years 3 months ago #27567

Yes, it's a MK2 alright. You can also see it at the gearbox (i believe there are 3 different versions). And servo saver is the part were you can spot the difference.

Cheers, Bram
Restoring Countach 58005
Restoring 58015 RR
Restoring 58098 F40
Restoring King Cab and Monsterracer
Restoring Audi Quattro rally
Restoring Mk.1 Sand Scorcher
Restoring Porsche 936

Got's me a Tamiya Rough Rider "1979" 10 years 3 months ago #27568

achmedachmed has given you the headline diagnosis there :y: but there are a few more differences, AFAIK the full list (and TBH a lot of these only make sense when you've got the different parts in front of you to compare) is:

- Bumper: Black on mk.1 (and re-re now :whistle:)
- Front arms: skinnier on mk.1
- Rear arms: space for 2nd 1150 bearing on mk.1
- Front body post: mk.1 has slotted top where body clip fits rather than a hole (this is on the Scorcher, IDK if that's true for the Rough Rider)
- Front body post position: further forward on mk.1
- Servo saver spring guide: tight fit on mk.1
- Mechanism box: no holes on mk.1
- Gearbox cover: smaller on mk.1 (Super Champ is different too, having a small hole in it)
- Gearbox: mk.1 open rear cage lower mount, extra lugs in mechanism box recess, two holes for rollover hoop mount, no reinforcing ribs around pinion hole

There is anecdotal evidence that not all of these changes came in one hit, Of the two SRBsI have (both Scorchers), one is 80/90% mk.1, the other is only 10% - I'd be interested in knowing if your RR has the "full perm" of mk.2 bits , if so it may be something of a rarity, the assumption being that most RRs would be mk.1s (?)

Either way, it looks clean & complete, so barring any unseen nasty surprises it's an excellent restoration candidate ... though the orange peel in your third pic make me shudder a bit ;)

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: achmedachmed

Got's me a Tamiya Rough Rider "1979" 10 years 3 months ago #27569

But i must say the previous owner did a perfect repair job on that frontpost, it is not that easy, shows high skills

Are you looking at that on a very small screen or something? :huh: It's been drilled, tapped & a hex head screw put in :huh:

The following user(s) Liked this: achmedachmed

Got's me a Tamiya Rough Rider "1979" 10 years 3 months ago #27570

I should also have added the universal joints to the list - mk.1 = brass, mk.2 = greeny black finish, Super Champ (or at least Super Champ era) = black finish ... yours look to be entirely black, which means it was a very late kit, or they've been replaced (?)

Got's me a Tamiya Rough Rider "1979" 10 years 3 months ago #27571

Are you looking at that on a very small screen or something? :huh: It's been drilled, tapped & a hex head screw put in :huh:

Jehh but, but he tapped it right in the middle!! :laugh: You should have seen my Rough Rider, repaired with tape, crappy big speedcontroller cut though the batterybox AND Bodyshell!. I still have a bad dreams about this one.. :silly:

Got's me a Tamiya Rough Rider "1979" 10 years 3 months ago #27653

That looks like it's in great original condition, original owner must have been a good driver judging by how worn the front tires are and no noticeable collision damage. Enjoy!

Got's me a Tamiya Rough Rider "1979" 10 years 2 months ago #27660

:unsure: someone can advices me about the price of a nice original rough rider please?
Thanks

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds