Keyword

TOPIC:

58013 March 782 BMW (F-2) 9 years 1 week ago #34156

I have Klingspor "Auto-Paper" in 60, 80, 100, 120, 180, 240, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000 & 2500 grit varieties. 400 & 1200 are the ones I use most, usually wet with a drop of washing up detergent.

Any good quality wet & dry paper will work, but cheap or no-name brands are a false economy as they tend to be smaller sheets and don't last anywhere near as long.

:)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

58013 March 782 BMW (F-2) 9 years 1 week ago #34162

Body parts in white primer ...

... and with paint & clear ...

... & with details painted. AGV helmet decal is missing from the repro sheet; the helmet is wrong so fitting the visor didn't really make it any worse ;)

... & wheels:

Bought more because they were cheap rather than particularly useful :whistle:

I scanned & old bumper, printed a copy & stuck it to GRP sheet, then cut out with a fret saw & fettled with a Dremel ... would have been nicer in more traditional GRP (more transparent, visible weave etc)...

New upright(s) (lower) aren't a great match, there's some parallax errors going on in the photo but as well as having to drill out the pivot, there's less castor & the track will be a bit narrower...

58013 March 782 BMW (F-2) 9 years 6 days ago #34169

Last few bits before I can think about putting it back together: cleaning up & partial rewiring of motor & MSC (motor will get matching bullet connectors once I know the required wire length, even if they aren't quite period ... XT60 connector definitely isn't "correct", but then neither is a 2S Lipo ;) ); re-filling & repainting of former owners' chassis repair.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: AndyAus

58013 March 782 BMW (F-2) 9 years 4 days ago #34196

Canadian repro decals went on nicely, only issues were the rear wing end plate decals being a bit too big & needing nearly a millimeter taking off the bottom & both sides, and the stripes being a bit tricky around the front end of the cockpit.

On with the build - page 4 of the manual deals with building the diff and starting on the "gearbox":

Page 5, gearbox complete & front end pod started - original steering rod was missing ...

... as well as the two pressed aluminium servo holders, which I didn't even know about until page 6 :whistle:

Page 7 sees the front end & bumper fixed down, and work starting on the main chassis tub:

Page 8, and the chassis is done apart from fixing the rear wing on.

58013 March 782 BMW (F-2) 9 years 4 days ago #34197

The body just needed the (hidden) body clips fitting & that's it :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: AndyAus

58013 March 782 BMW (F-2) 9 years 4 days ago #34199

Very nice job, Jonny!

The chassis looks stunning, like new, I would paint the bumper black though. :y:

The body speaks for itself, stunning detail work!
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

58013 March 782 BMW (F-2) 9 years 4 days ago #34206

Wow! I'm so jealous that you guys can pull of this kind of work quality! I'm sanding, filling, priming for ages now on my one 936 body and it still looks like crap haha. Stunning result, congrats!

58013 March 782 BMW (F-2) 5 years 3 months ago #53444

I'll drag this old topic back again only to ask Jonny Retro if you have a template for the windshield you made?
I just realised my March is missing the windshield and rear view mirrors...

Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.

58013 March 782 BMW (F-2) 5 years 3 months ago #53445

I'll drag this old topic back again only to ask Jonny Retro if you have a template for the windshield you made?
I just realised my March is missing the windshield and rear view mirrors...

Lars

Sorry Lars I looked through my PC folders & my physical project files but have nothing more than what's aleady in this thread. I don't even have the car any more, or the original glass.

TBH I probably did something like use blue masking tape on the existing broken "glass", cut to shape & tidy up the edges, peel off the tape & use it as a template on a bit of lexan before cutting out, peeling off the tape & discarding.

The best I can offer is higher res versions of the pics that include the mirrors & old new glass - between that & having the body you might should be able to extrapolate the dimensions?

58013 March 782 BMW (F-2) 5 years 3 months ago #53447

Thank you for having a look Jonny.
High res images sounds good and I'll pull out the calculator :)
Any recommendations on materials to choose?

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.378 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.