Keyword

TOPIC:

58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 7 months ago #3326

I don't imagine I'll be doing this at anything like the pace of some of my previous projects, so this will just really be a placeholder to start with...

The incomplete/damaged XR311 shell, driver & partial chassis I got the other week:

I thought the first Cheetah I bought was bad - this one looks even worse (but hasn't arrived yet):

And, just when I thought I'd got enough bits, this not bad looking Cheetah (well, I guess it depends on your perspective :D ) came up on ebay, so I snaffled it up too (again, this one hasn't arrived yet):

Out of all that, I hope I'll have enough bits to make a decent XR311 - the only real differences between the Cheetah & the XR311 (apart from the body & the wheels) is the 10mm longer wheelbase on the XR311 - but that's achieved with minimal differences - the front end bolts on the chassis pressing on the two forwardmost of the holes rather than the rearmost, and the front torsion bars are the same length as the rears, rather than being 10mm shorter.

The current plan is to "dismantle" the body so I can strip the badly yellowed & flaking clearcoat off, then put it to one side while I work on the chassis ... which I guess will mean stripping all three & choosing the best bits ... I'm also hoping to do something toward making the suspesion work - the torsion bars are useless ...

You know, from not really giving a hoot about any of the earlier cars, I think I might have become a bit obsessed with the Cheetah & XR311 :D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 7 months ago #3327

looks like a cool project. i am a bit confused about the frequent appearance of the MARMITE though! is that a handy hint we should know about? :laugh:

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 7 months ago #3328

looks like a cool project. i am a bit confused about the frequent appearance of the MARMITE though! is that a handy hint we should know about? :laugh:

LOL, they're just the sellers' pics, and I didn't like to ask ...

I haven't got as far as thinking about colour schemes, but I think we can rule out dark brown & yellow bits :D

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 7 months ago #3353

That is probably the largest Marmite jar I've ever seen, or the smallest Cheetah in the world...;)

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 7 months ago #3357

The black / zebra stripe oned arrived today ... I knew I was taking a bit of a punt there, but what a hunk of junk ! :sick:

Honestly, I think I just paid

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 7 months ago #3359

i love marmite, so does my cat :)

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 7 months ago #3363

Pics of the wreck that arrived today ...

Body parts...

Electrics, including 3 incomplete XR311 MSC, reciever that's been glued together ... and a Clod Buster MSC ...

Tyres: 1 split, one bald, 2 just about useable, 2 new; and 3 & 2/3rds wheels...

Mirros are rare as rocking horse doodoo ...

Body side detail ...

... from the front ...

... & rear ... so glad I didn't have any plans for this body :sick:

Chassis, missing gearbox cover is a bit of a blow ...

few bits that aren't for the XR311/Cheetah ...

bits & bobs ...

suspension bits (including 4 broken torsion bars) ... & a head

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 7 months ago #3378

Looks like the perfect JR project! :silly: :lol:

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 7 months ago #3421

I don't know what to say, you certainly have a gift for picking projects! All of the best with both of them.

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 7 months ago #3422

Looks like the body was painted with road paint... :laugh: Most definitely a JR project... Come on JR, breathe some life back into that tired car... :woohoo:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.541 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.