Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 6 months ago #3972

Wow, your modelling skills keep on amazing me! The small details you attend to will make this XR311 really good looking.

That front shot of the "angry looking" front headlights is brilliant :lol:

-Lars

Your detailing is fantastic it really sets your cars apart from the norm and is why i like following your threads you never know what its going to look like at the end. keep us posted.

Thanks fpr the positive comments chaps :)

Meanwhile ....

Wipers (bits of styrene rod & sheet):

Centre seat - which I've only just realised was missing - how many weeks is that ? :blink:

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 6 months ago #3974

Hi Jonny
Fantastic work there. I do like the rear view mirrors and wipers.
Mr. T should look at getting you in his prototyping department and have the guy that poke the holes in the re-re bonnets make your tea as his job... or maybe not as you will end up with the spoon poking through a hole in the bottom of the cup.
Keep up the great effort as it will all show in the end product!
Marius

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 6 months ago #3995

Have primed the roof & body ... repaired splits on the roof are really obvious now - not sure what I can do about that without loosing the "canvas" detail...

Attachments:

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 6 months ago #3997

I suppose I shouldn't be overly surprised that Humbrol "Light Olive" is lighter than boxart :whistle:

Attachments:

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 5 months ago #4034

Been busy painting the body details... pretty sure I will give it a bit of weathering - if only to hide the uneven semi gloss black on the fenders...

Also not sure about my intended suspension mod - converting to something like leaf springs - it is a bit invasive (it'll require some drilling on the lower rear wishbones) - and I saw today that the XR311 will be re-re-released next year ... :S
Attachments:

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 5 months ago #4043

Hi Jonny
The project is turning out a treat, to cure the uneven semi gloss paint give it a one over with HUMBROL 49 MATT VARNISH.
Marius

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 5 months ago #4050

if only to hide the uneven semi gloss black on the fenders..

I am so relived to see someone else struggle with the semi gloss black. I have never been able to brush this specific paint to an even finish, ever! :cry:
It's come so far that I now replace semi gloss black with flat black..

PS: great work on the detailing!

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Last edit: by larbut.

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 5 months ago #4057

Had a go at some light weathering ... dry brushed dark grey on the "rubber" bits, aluminium & then "rust" on exposed edges, then washed the whole thing in a "dust" wash - 3 drops each buff, flat earth, nato brown, white, dark grey + flat black + 4ml water ... not sure it's quite dirty enough, I might give the back & sides a going over with something a bit darker...

Thought I might as well use my spare driver figure - but it did need some rework to fit as the passenger seat is a lot further forward - feet had to come off entirely, left wrist so I could rotate it 90 degrees, and both arms needed the angle changing a little ...

added a little Milliput silver/grey to fill the gaps, I should be able to sand & prime tomorrow :)

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 5 months ago #4079

Jonny,

Great detailing on the body and driver etc, looking great and spurring me to get on with my Cheetah and resorect it.
Keep updating its a joy to watch :)

GING

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 5 months ago #4081

Very smart looking project - as always. Awesome details. B)

Keeping an eye out for a picture award nomination on this one... :)

Last edit: by Edou.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.