Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 5 months ago #4132

My suspension mods - this is a bit ghetto (especialy on the rear), but I just wanted to see if it was going to work ok ...

Front end - styrene sheet cut out & bent to fit (& for preload):

Rear end - ditto, but bent the other way:

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 5 months ago #4135

Interesting, how well is the flex in the styrene? Will it allow for "full tilt" on the suspension?
-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 5 months ago #4136

Interesting, how well is the flex in the styrene? Will it allow for "full tilt" on the suspension?
-Lars

Seems to work ok - I've aimed for approximately 1/3rd of the movement as "droop", i.e. when the car is just sitting it should compress the suspension 1/3rd the way, the styrene seems to flex in a linear fashion right up to the point the suspension hits the stops :)

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 5 months ago #4162

Just about done now, apart from bolting on the wheels ... the reason for that is that the M2 x 10mm cap head stainless screws I got for the job, assuming I needed the same size as I used on the Cheetah, are too long ... and the reason they're too long is because I added 2mm to the correct length on the Cheetah to take account of the reinforcing hubcaps I added to the Cheetah's wheels :blink:

Radio is a bit of a lash up, as is the MSC ... I have briefly spun the wheels up on a 6v battery ... it sounds like a car with a flat battery failing to start :blink:

That's about as much running as this will ever get - I was concerned that the Cheetah would crack if I ran it & hit something or rolled it, but I may have to rethink that, it's really robust compared to this XR311 - if I roll it I know it's going to lose the wing mirrors, windscreen, headlights, rear deck bars, tow hook, etc, etc ...

At least those ammo boxes came in handy for something :D

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 5 months ago #4173

Great work there Johnny,

Loving all the hard work you have put into this, looking forward to seeing the end result.
If you are needing a spare wheel i have one for sale on e-bay if it can help.

GING

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 5 months ago #4323

Finally bolted the wheels on so I can move this to the "finished" row, not sure about wheathering the them & the tyres but figured it's always easy to put weathering on later than take it off... front end is a little bouncy, back end is a bit sticky & reluctant to return.

The backgound I bought recently turned out to be a lot less convincing than I'd hoped for :whistle:

Attachments:

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 5 months ago #4325

Great result - very nice pics. :)
Really worth it again to take a glimpse at the first page and see what state you began with...

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 5 months ago #4331

Again, well done, Jon!
As usual an excellent result, and to an untrained eye your creations look like the originals, only cooler :-)

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: 58004 XR311 restoration 12 years 5 months ago #4339

Well it turned out nothing less than what we have come to expect from your skilled hands!
As for the background.....the question is not what the background can do for the XR311 but rather what the XR311 can do for the background.
You can be well chuffed with the result.
Marius

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.