Keyword

TOPIC:

Hirobo 44Bs and Zerda :) 7 months 1 day ago #76747

This morning, started by adding the radio box on the Hilux chassis.

Next was a quick print installation (it was done yesterday, as I have only 2 of those parts for 3 cars). The profile matches the gearboxes walls around and it fits perfectly...

Here is the 2 chassis in their current state. They were more or less like that at some point within their original boxe (that I don't have).

I had to do some room in the storage boxes, I decided to assemble the wheels as they take more room in parts than when assembled... Did I already tell you how much I love those 44B wheels? They are really nice, and for me among the top 3 in terms of look with the Marui Samurai and the Kyosho Javelin (that being said, I'm not able to sort 1, 2, 3 :-) )

I sorted the remaiing parts. I have still some missing elements to complete the 3 cars, as I forgot a few things when doing the inventory:
- A pulley 18T for the Zerda (CT-23) : it was missing on one of the cars, and I have some other pulleys but not this one. That being said, I have an aluminium 18T pulley, but I don't think it will last long... 
- On shaft side, it is good, I'm just missing 3 spacers (2 for the roller pulleys, and one for the 18T pulley shaft) - But I suspect I can definitely sort this with my 3D printer, so it is ok)
- An upper arm for one of the 44B. I check and it was missing when I got the car. I will have to find a solution for this (pivot balls are 4.8mm if I'm not wrong, but I'll check this).

And I search the servo saver of the Hilux for quite long, to discover at the end it was never removed from the servo, which was still in the project box with the Zerda parts :-). One hour lost because of this  :lol:

At the end, I won't be able to build more than a complete chassis right now.
It will be 44B Hilux as I need it to show up the bodyshell...

Transmission is set in place... The motor is a torque tuned, and this car is likely to run at some point...

The fitting of the pulley cover is good. I'll decide later if it goes on the Zerda or the 44B Hilux (or both, but in this case I need to reprint one)

It is now time to fit the arms...

And very soon we have the hubs and upper arms in place...

I have shocks (they are not originals, at least for this car), but they are supposed to go on 3mm screws. I print will solve this.

And it works as expected. Shocks are in place. I change the orientation of the rear shocks plate to increase the clearance. On the front I used a longer screw and a nut to increase the clearance: I'm likely to create a brace for the front (probably combined with the front body mount), to make this a bit more stronger, as I suspect it would break otherwise ...
And yes, electronic is already in place. I will also have to do something to prevent the servo to move (but I know already what I'll do for this...

I did used my hammer to make the part fixing the bumper more plane...

I will now have to do some prints :
body mounts, bumper, and some other stuff...
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Hirobo 44Bs and Zerda :) 7 months 9 hours ago #76755

After the nozzle change, the quality of the prints is back to usual... Printed a 44B Hilux Bumper and its winch...

Aso printed a part to lock the steering servo in place, which makes the direction more precise. As matter of fact, fixing servo with double face adhesive tape is so 1983-1984 I needed to do something (if I provide this part, it will have to be a step file, so peple can modify it to suit any servo)...

Had to put the bodyshell on the chassis to see...

Next :
- Work on the body accessories to make them easy to print
- Trim the white bodyshell and install accessories, eventually think about adding windows to it (not sure I can do something for this, but if someone has an idea, please talk  :lol: )
- Order some stickers at mciracing to see if they fit my body
- Paint the white body (not sure yet for the color)

Hopefully, I'll be able to have the car in a very presentable very soon :-)

The following user(s) Liked this: Ducksnuts

Hirobo 44Bs and Zerda :) 7 months 3 hours ago #76758

For the windows you can put a smoke film like real cars it's always better than black paint or white plastic.

Hirobo 44Bs and Zerda :) 6 months 3 weeks ago #76763

Couple of options for windows;

1. Clear polycarb - You could buy some thin (1mm) polycarb from any hardware store.  Or I've even found small sheets of it on ebay.  Some stores that deal with acrylic/plastics also sell their offcuts that are of no use to large customers but good for hobby stuff.  Or at a pinch, use a 2L soft drink bottle.  If you carefully warm up the plastic it can be 'flattened'.

2. Paint - On the Gasser and M05 I've done a white basecoat, then a light silver coat, then clear smoke coat, and final clear topcoat.  For the clear smoke, try and graduate it from the sides to the middle.  So on the front/rear windows i did a darker coat at the side edges and lighter coat towards the middle, and on the side windows darker near the top.  This gives a kind-of reflective look to it.  I used rattle-cans, you could get a much better result with an air-brush.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, silvertriple

Last edit: by Ducksnuts.

Hirobo 44Bs and Zerda :) 6 months 3 weeks ago #76767

For windows you can use the clear plastic emballage, as in tool set, Ikea roll up curtains and much much more.
I tend to keep things like that for the purpose to make windows and spotlight glass etc.

Also if you look around, you can find 0.7-1.5mm lexan sheet at rc shops if you are lucky.
Here in Norway I found only one rc store that did had lexan available.
The following user(s) Liked this: silvertriple

Hirobo 44Bs and Zerda :) 6 months 3 weeks ago #76783

I'm missing an upper arm for the 44B Long Wheel base chassis... As far as I know, there is only one piece missing for the Zerda and it is the 18T MXL pulley. 

I have one in aluminium, but I believe it is to soft, as I can mark the surface easily with a screwdriver. In the meantime, that should allow me to complete the Zerda, at least, awaiting I find one of proper quality to do the job...

Beside the front gearbox wall, the build is quite similar to a 44B build...

With the same complexity for the belt path than the 44B, with a little twist...

The twist is that the chassis is so flexible than pushing down on the pulley that acts for the tension of the belt make the nose of the chassis going up...
And the fact of having the pulley cover in place doesn't really change anything to this... I put the motor which was in the car initially as a placeholder. The overall intention is to run this car, and I may put a different motor than this one... No clue yet.

The rear belt cover works also on the Zerda, and I found back an original part, so it won't be used for this car...

The overal target was to have one single picture for a publication later on cults3D... The pulley belt cover is in place with the rubber boot on the upper arm (reused the one that came with the car)...

All arms are in place... There is very little room for the front split pins...

Added the shock towers, and the bumper. I will need to find a servo for this car in my parts bin...

Basically, it misses a few things :
- steering servo and servo saver, and for this I need to keep in mind that the servo may collide with the radio plate, which is not going to ease my life...
- definitive motor and esc
- radio plate - which is theorically supposed to offer more rigidity to the chassis, but I have my doubts :-)
- shocks - I've not decided what I do for this. I have 2 set of rear 44B original shocks in new state, some damaged zerda shocks, but I may opt for some Kyosho shocks (which may require me to work out some limiter for the range)...
- roll cage it will be black, although I would have prefered a red one...
- wheels : I have some tamiya tires that should work with the Zerda original rims (but I also have the intention to print Zerda tires at some point :-) )

Had to clear the table for some other activities, and therefore stopped at this stage... Lot of activities ongoing, and I also need to work on the Hilux bodyshell :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Hirobo 44Bs and Zerda :) 6 months 3 weeks ago #76784

Le mans or smt motor?

Hirobo 44Bs and Zerda :) 6 months 3 weeks ago #76785

It's a Le Mans H-240S, but it will be replaced... I'm not sure it is in a proper state, and I prefer to have it somewhere else...

Last edit: by silvertriple.

Hirobo 44Bs and Zerda :) 6 months 3 weeks ago #76786

It's a racing motor. Maybe abused. Or only needs a pair of brushes. Put it in my trash box with the challengers😉

Last edit: by stingray-63.

Hirobo 44Bs and Zerda :) 6 months 3 weeks ago #76787

HItec radios and the 2 Nichimos are on the way to Canada... And I have a plan for this motor... Not this car... It will be another very special car which as no link with the 44Bs and Zerda of this thread... 

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.414 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.