Keyword

TOPIC:

Re:Replicating the Hilux Bruiser Vintage mirror - Need an original 6 years 3 months ago #47346

A little update and some consideration for other parts.

So far I am able to produce , scorcher mirrors, handles and Baja plates, most and eventually all parts for the Countach, 3 speed mirrors and on another thread in here I reproduced a rear 936 wing for warrior.

Having a new in box 934 body set, I am considering the appetite from people for any repro on those,,, especially the window wipers? Although I have offered Countach wipers and they don't really get any interest.

Also I have been asked about blazer parts twice now, particularly the roof. Again I would be asking around for parts to replicate so really putting out the feelers.

I also want to do the 935 & 6 wheeler bumper (see my Countach bumper for reference) but I think people would use and love to get one of those for display.

Anyone want to chip in thier thoughts?

If you do have these parts or anything particular I can help with, let me know.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, nudge, goldfish999

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Replicating the Hilux Bruiser Vintage mirror - Need an original 6 years 3 months ago #47383

My two cents:
934 body parts: You will be in competition with the static kit I'm sure many buy to restore a original 934.

I think Blazer roof parts would sell. Many years ago someone did repro of those an I heard a lot about them. I actually have the side plates in repro for whenever I get around to restoring my Blazer.

How about a "repair kit" for all those broken front fenders on the Ranger XLT ?

Sand Rover rear body mounts? Impossible to find now.

Hilux/Blazer protection covers for front bumper?

Lancia Rally/ Willy's Wheeler front bumper?
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Replicating the Hilux Bruiser Vintage mirror - Need an original 6 years 3 months ago #47384

Yes, I definitely considered the 934 static kit, but at around £150 at least, its a bit much to ask for a window wiper HA.

Some great ideas there Lars. I think I will look into some of those and see whats possible.

I would also LOVE to get my repro clear parts perfected, I just cant manage that at the moment. Mainly time but I will definitely have to invest in more equipment like a vacuum chamber, then learn the technique not to get any bubbles in it. For some reason its far more complicated than anything I've done.

Replicating the Hilux Bruiser Vintage mirror - Need an original 6 years 3 months ago #47385

My two cents:

Yesss ! That would be awesome...! I need one !
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family

Replicating the Hilux Bruiser Vintage mirror - Need an original 6 years 3 months ago #47386

My two cents:

Yesss ! That would be awesome...! I need one !

Love to see what damage you have, any pics?

Replicating the Hilux Bruiser Vintage mirror - Need an original 6 years 3 months ago #47387

Don't have better pics at the moment, but if you need better ones i'll be glad to take some once at home.

Actually i was looking for an old body to cut off the fender part and repair mine before starting the resto.

Hope this helps
Attachments:

Replicating the Hilux Bruiser Vintage mirror - Need an original 6 years 3 months ago #47388

I assume I'm picking the right bit out here?

They are a common place to break then?

Maybe when I get an original I can make a repair part, mount a large amount of the front there so that anyone can trim to their own spec. Would be extremely easy to cast once I get the part.

Would the blackfoot be exactly the same?
Attachments:

Replicating the Hilux Bruiser Vintage mirror - Need an original 6 years 3 months ago #47389

I assume I'm picking the right bit out here?

They are a common place to break then?

Maybe when I get an original I can make a repair part, mount a large amount of the front there so that anyone can trim to their own spec. Would be extremely easy to cast once I get the part.

Would the blackfoot be exactly the same?

Well, the point is that i don't have the broken part, i got like that :(

As far as i know, this Ranger has a smaller front Wheel arch than the Blackfoot.
By having a donor body or part, i'll be able to adjust it and give him the right shape.

The other side is also broken, the good news is that i have the broken part. So if you would like to cast such a part before i start my resto, i'd be glad to help you out by sending it to you.

Replicating the Hilux Bruiser Vintage mirror - Need an original 6 years 3 months ago #47390

TBH I have a bit of a problem with replacement parts looking _too_ good, I think they devalue original parts if you can't tell the difference. It's fine where the information is shared with potential new owners, but what happens when that information gets lost, or is deliberately hidden?

To my mind, replacement parts ought to be:
- a bit crap
- modified/improved (e.g. strengthening, or one piece vs 2-piece original);
- subtlely marked in some way.

Now, if you were to make replacement front fenders/wings for the Ranger, even short wheelarch versions, but with the correct "RANGER XLT" trim (instead of "CUSTOM"), then that would an improvement, and the inside would have to be different (ledges/ribs to glue in, etc). and there would never be any chance of someone passing those off as original.

Wheeler 'roo bar? Again, if you find some way of improving/strengthening it (moving the reinforcing to vertical & having the fitting rods central, so less leverage/chance of damage) = not much to whinge about, realisitically.

I don't think you've crossed a line yet - for example your mirrors - direct copy physically, but unfinished - ok; direct copy, chromed - wrong side of the line; two piece, but with subtle improvements, and chromed - ok. :)

...Sand Rover rear body mounts? Impossible to find now.

... unless you look on the re-hash sprue ;)

Replicating the Hilux Bruiser Vintage mirror - Need an original 6 years 3 months ago #47391

TBH I have a bit of a problem with replacement parts looking _too_ good, I think they devalue original parts if you can't tell the difference. It's fine where the information is shared with potential new owners, but what happens when that information gets lost, or is deliberately hidden?

To my mind, replacement parts ought to be:
- a bit crap
- modified/improved (e.g. strengthening, or one piece vs 2-piece original);
- subtlely marked in some way.

Now, if you were to make replacement front fenders/wings for the Ranger, even short wheelarch versions, but with the correct "RANGER XLT" trim (instead of "CUSTOM"), then that would an improvement, and the inside would have to be different (ledges/ribs to glue in, etc). and there would never be any chance of someone passing those off as original.

Wheeler 'roo bar? Again, if you find some way of improving/strengthening it (moving the reinforcing to vertical & having the fitting rods central, so less leverage/chance of damage) = not much to whinge about, realisitically.

I don't think you've crossed a line yet - for example your mirrors - direct copy physically, but unfinished - ok; direct copy, chromed - wrong side of the line; two piece, but with subtle improvements, and chromed - ok. :)

...Sand Rover rear body mounts? Impossible to find now.

... unless you look on the re-hash sprue ;)

Jonny, you're right and this is definitely something I have considered when making the parts. How close to the original do you go without devaluing the real product. At the moment I don't think I have crossed the line, actually it's one of the reasons I haven't sold a single Countach bumper, they look too good.

I also appreciate talking about it on here, not only can I be transparent on what I can and can't do, plus what I am providing but, I'll listen to opinions. The quantities I provide before I get bored doing the same item are quite small but nonetheless they could be passed off to new owners as originals.

The chromed mirrors is an interesting angle actually, my overriding want to do these were because I know for many people is almost the last part to finish their scorcher, the thanks, feedback and pictures I get from people is more than gratifying. I think i'll consider your comments carefully as the perfectionist in me will get me to the point that the average Joe wouldn't tell the difference between an original and copy.

Last edit: by Purple_rob. Reason: Unnecessary sentence
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.