Keyword

TOPIC:

Replicating the Hilux Bruiser Vintage mirror - Need an original 6 years 3 months ago #47394

Why you don't engrave or stamp a mark like C on mirror or copy on your bumpers? On a discreet side. It was made on uniforms for band of brother and save Ryan. Marking of the suits were totally différents of original stamps.
If you want for the blazer, I have rear lights scanned on a real and 3d printed.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Replicating the Hilux Bruiser Vintage mirror - Need an original 6 years 3 months ago #47397

How to say... I agree with Jonny’s point of view. Having repro parts on a vintage and pricy car « devaluates » the model. So far everything ok.

Marking or engraving your repro parts is also a way to keep the value and the uniqueness of a good restored car.

Now looking from my point of view, this is only my opinion.
I would never buy a repro part if it’s engraved and marked a repro part to restore my models for the simple and good reason that it it look like « crap » to me. If the marking is located on a hidden place and I’d That marking is more or less easily removable I might consider buying it.
For instance if you’re making a « crappy » replacement part for my Ranger I won’t buy it from you...
In that case I prefer to sacrify a Blackfoot body and adapt the part to my broken body.

The fact is that I agree with Jonny’s point, but I wouldn’t take it in consideration for any of my resto.

I want my cars to look almost as perfect as possible and closest as out of the box and not with marked or crappy repro parts.
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family

Last edit: by Manotas.

Replicating the Hilux Bruiser Vintage mirror - Need an original 6 years 3 months ago #47398

SO,
I agree somewhat about the repro stuff. For myself I want the best parts available and if originals are not around anymore I want the best looking repro I can get, I don't want it marked or slightly off looking. However I don't want to be sold a repro and be told its original....hmmm

I was involved in the vintage die cast toy world for awhile, awhile ago Dinky, Solido, Corgi etc. Corgi's were my choice. They have been dealing with repro parts for literally decades. As stated a lot of them are obvious but as technology marches on the parts get better and better. The most professional repro box makers have been stamping inside the end flap the word " reproduction" or " copy " so we can all tell because having the box for some of those can just about double the asking price and those early boxes can be reproduced very very well. I also bought a couple of complete cars from a fellow who made reproductions of some of the very rare variants of Corgi cars. He was always good to engrave his mark on the bottom, small and in a spot not noticed when displayed but it is there.

Why am I mentioning this....well if you have been in the die cast world you will find it is huge, most cities seem to have at least one major swap meet a year, there are lots of vendors and dealers and buyers. Perhaps not as much as 20 years ago ( f'n ebay) but it is still well attended. The dealers for the most part are only interested in making money ( not all of them), buy low sell high. There are many valuation guides and lots of guys cheat, more than once I have stepped in to correct something an unscrupulous dealer was telling a prospective buyer, mostly about condition and price. "You know those books are written by other dealers and those prices are for mint in box cars right?" That sort of thing.

Fortunately or not our Tamiya world has not reached that level. Sure, online we have a good community and I think that actually helps because we know who is making the parts and what to watch out for. On the downside, when someone is looking on line and not in person it can be harder to spot those little differences that can make the difference.
Ebay is a different sort of thing, it is mostly an auction ( not crazy buy it now listings) and you are bidding, so the price you pay is really up to you, but I know that I tend to get caught up in it, pay more than I said I would and in the end have no one to blame but myself. There is also the great anonymity of ebay, all the seller need to state is that he ( or she) "doesn't know anything about RC cars" and then they are off the hook if it is fake or what ever. I do wonder how all these sellers that don't know anything seem to end up with so many RC cars though?? hmmmm
But in private sales here and other places we need to make sure we keep it honest, if its repro say so. No shame in it, if it good quality I applaud your efforts in making it.

So Rob, please do your best work, let everyone know you made them, mark it if you wish and I think if we all know about it, then there shouldn't be too many problems. We are all friends here......right guys?.......:)

"If its repro, say so" I like that B)
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

Replicating the Hilux Bruiser Vintage mirror - Need an original 6 years 3 months ago #47399

"If its repro, say so" I like that B)

That’s the point! I like that
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family

Replicating the Hilux Bruiser Vintage mirror - Need an original 6 years 3 months ago #47400

Several of us buy repro decals and lexan bodies guys. Sure that original parts are better but when parts aren't more available or totally out of budget, how do you do? Purple rob help us and take time . I don't think that he want to sell 3millions of spares. Only a mark like ink stamp permits to be legal. And after, each owner has his own mentality.
Say or not if spares are original or copy.
And they are only details spares. ;)

Replicating the Hilux Bruiser Vintage mirror - Need an original 6 years 3 months ago #47408

At the end of the day it is all down to the integrity Of the repro buyer and nothing to do with the manufacturer of the repro, the maker is selling it as a repo so he has a totally clear conscience and will obviously try and produce the nearest identical if possible repo as it is his duty to The buyer naturally wants as good an item as possible, wether he uses it on his own never to be sold collection or on a car he intends to sell, it is down to the buyer in my opinion to declare said items have been used, tho the saying “buyer beware” is a saying for a reason
That’s my two pence on the subject :y:
The following user(s) Liked this: oldwilly

Replicating the Hilux Bruiser Vintage mirror - Need an original 6 years 3 months ago #47472

That’s my two pence on the subject :y:

I like your pence sir!! :)

I guess my position has always been that I am salvaging, building, restoring these cars for me. weather it has been old Corgi's or R/C they are for my shelf and enjoyment so I don't think about those unscrupulous sellers too much ;)
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

Last edit: by oldwilly.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.